Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sahms- what's in your capsule wardrobe?

(22 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sun 28-May-17 09:57:15

I'm at the other side of 3 close pregnancies I'm finally ready to ditch the maternity wear and get back on track. Problem is, I don't know where to start! Pre-babies I worked a lot so mostly wore my work uniform or dressy going out clothes. Now I'm a sahm and it's difficult to find a style groove.

My wardrobe is overflowing with complete tat so I need to do a ruthless cull and start over. I would rather have a small collection of good quality clothes that can be mixed and matched. I don't have a huge budget, but I know I can add bits and pieces as time goes on. I walk a lot so need the clothes to be comfortable and practical but still stylish. Also have cumbersome large norks that somewhat limit the styles of tops and dresses I can wear hmm

Guide me oh wise stylish ones! What items do you swear by? How big is you wardrobe overall? And which shops are the best for clothes that aren't faded, shrunk or falling apart after a few washes?

Argeles Sun 28-May-17 10:04:03

I wore exactly the same type of clothes as you before I was a sahm, and I still like to look feminine and reasonably well put together

Rockaby Sun 28-May-17 10:13:20

I also wore the same clothes as you before I became a SAHM, but I absolutely hated them! I worked in a very formal, corporate environment and I never suited the clothes and I found them uncomfortable. I have now got rid of all but two pairs of heels in my wardrobe.

In winter I tend to wear jeans and jumpers with boots / brogues,
or dresses with opaques and boots / brogues.

In summer I wear the same, but tshirts / tops instead of jumpers and usually these funny little summery brogue things I have, (and love), instead of boots. They have little holes all over them, so they're quite cool. I only whip out the sandals on really hot days. Sometimes I'll wear Vans, but they don't go with very much in my wardrobe so they only get an outing occasionally. Shorter dresses, I wear with leggings, (I spend too much time on the floor / bending over to risk it without). Maxis / midis I wear on their own.

Rockaby Sun 28-May-17 10:23:15

Oh unless you mean you wore an actual uniform? Sorry! I assumed you just meant work clothes blush.

Argeles Sun 28-May-17 10:29:48

Sorry, toddler pressed post!!!

I always wear make up, and never get dresses until I have it on as it affects my mood.

I wear leggings almost daily, and throw over a wrap/faux wrap or cowl neck style dress, or a skater style dress and accessorise either with a choker, or a large & long pendant necklace. It's so quick to put these dresses & accessories on, and yet they look smart & well-considered (in the opinions of others). All the dresses are stretchy/jersey fabric, as they are easy to care for, flattering & great on curves.

I love prints, and tend to wear printed clothes more often than not, and I find an added bonus is that little stains from little ones don't tend to show up us much when you're out and about, and then can be thrown in the wash when you get home.

I also adore stretchy pencil skirts & wear these with loose and oversize tops, blouses and t shirts & large necklaces - again, quite quick to look like a well considered outfit & show off personal style through print & accessories.

Just before our heatwave, I was living in a knee length denim dress £15 from Matalan - it's versatile & flattering on me (hourglass 14-16), as it has a drawstring waist.

I have never really liked jeans on me, even though they look great on others, and I only have one pair (and I don't like those much!). On the rare occasion that I wear them, I wear similar tops to what I wear with my pencil skirts.

I always wear knee length dresses and skirts, or just below as it's flattering for me & not too revealing with the demands of being a Mum.

In summer, I tend to wear a denim pencil skirt with shorts underneath (bloody chub rub!), with loose and oversized tops and t shirts, or maxi or knee length dresses again with Lycra shorts underneath.

I shop in a variety of places. One of my favourite dresses as above was from Marisota, but I got it brand new from Ebay, Matalan, Primark, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Phase Eight & French Connection sales, charity shops and TK Maxx.

La Redoute online can be good too, including for comfortable sandals & they have 40% at the moment (off everything I believe).

troodiedoo Sun 28-May-17 10:33:33

Skinny jeans, vests and cardigan. With metallic trainers or birkis. Keep it simple but polished with regular hair and beauty maintenance.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 28-May-17 10:33:50

Yes, an actual uniform! It was great cos it took most of the hassle out of choosing clothes tbh grin

I did go for a personal shopper consultation once and found it brilliant but it was a long time ago. I much prefer online shopping now and would find it difficult to get out for a day for a consultation again.

I do love dresses and opaques so will have a browse for some must avoid the m&s pink monstrosity I like the idea of brogues too!

Rockaby Sun 28-May-17 10:43:25

Oh I'd love an actual uniform as I'm often too lazy to pick outfits grin!

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 11:04:03

If I'm somewhere hot (I live somewhere very cold) I wear tailored shorts, a loose-ish drapery top. If its cooler, I tend to wear either leather leggings or skinny jeans with oversized good quality jumpers, or floaty shirts in "sharp" colours, not ditsy prints iyswim, or really nice quality 3/4 drapey sleeve t shirts. I often wear a leather jacket.

I always wear shoes I can run in, should I need to. I've had that policy long before I had DS, its always good to be able to escape, you never know when you might need too. I also always carry a rolled up neutral jersey dress in a bag so thyat I always have a change of outfit in case of food/bodily fluid emergencies!

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 11:22:50

Sorry, had to do some child wrangling so didn't get a chance to finish. Quite a while ago I ordered one of each of these from Amazon to test the quality as they were such good value. I love them. They are fantastic quality, wash really nicely and fit well too, I always get compliments when I wear them and now have a lot of the different colours. I wear them with tights and boots, over skinny jeans, on their own etc.

I've had a double mastectomy so can't advise personally on the nork issue, but one of my good friends ordered one of each and her norks pretty much have their own planetary gravitational pull and she loves them too, and they look great on her.

www.amazon.co.uk/d/h7d/Glamour-Empire-Womens-V-Neck-Jersey-Pockets-Melange/B00W9TIVQA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495966404&sr=8-3&keywords=Jersey%2Bdress%2Btulip&th=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

www.amazon.co.uk/Glamour-Empire-Womens-Jersey-Pockets/dp/B012ZQ7L2Q/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1495966321&sr=8-30&keywords=Jersey%2Bdress&th=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

HughLauriesStubble Sun 28-May-17 13:41:22

Ooh loup those dresses are right up my alley, especially the grey one smile I think the beauty maintenance makes a big difference troodie and I've been making an effort to keep my brows done and put on makeup most days but tbh most of my clothes are so shabby I desperately need to upgrade them. What I would like is a small selection of things that all match each other so that I can just grab and go in the mornings.

DonkeyOaty Sun 28-May-17 13:47:20

Loup I LOVE those dresses! Great call, thank you l.

troodiedoo Sun 28-May-17 14:02:14

I've been trying to do the same with muted colours; khaki, navy, nude and white. Boden do nice v neck t-shirts too, and I've just got some knee length shorts from Dorothy p. Hoping to get some shorter denim shorts if I can shift a bit of baby flab. Although weighing up whether cutting out chocolate would be worth it hmm probably not.

mctat Sun 28-May-17 14:02:35

I also wear a lot of leggings with long tops/dresses/shirts. Comfy black leggings and I put the interest in the tops & shoes. I seem to have to spend a lot more for things that look nice these days blush I've been liking Oliver Bonas stuff lately - they have good sales.

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 14:09:11

You're welcome Hugh and Donkey. They're great, cheap, easy to wear, easy to get stains out of, comfortable and soft. I have loads of them now blush. Amazon do actually have some pretty nice clothes for very good prices, the only thing I would say is read the reviews as the sizes can be a bit inconsistent.

I bought this a few weeks ago for a holiday and its brilliant, looks much nicer and more tailored on than in the picture where it looks like a shapeless sack...

www.amazon.co.uk/Eleery-Womens-Summer-Casual-Cotton/dp/B01H2VNIH6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1495976802&sr=8-12&keywords=Linen+top&tag=mumsnetforum-21

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 14:10:23

Grrrrr sorry just realised I linked to the plus size version not the standard, sorry I'm in the US so trying to translate to Amazon UK links!

HughLauriesStubble Sun 28-May-17 14:40:55

troodie I would love to buy loads of pale nudes and whites but dh invariably turns them all a shade of murky grey in the wash so I don't bother anymore hmm

loup that's gorgeous and such good value too! Does it wash ok?

Ollivander84 Sun 28-May-17 14:45:57

Might be worth having a look at Krisp dresses and tops on Amazon too

Highlove Sun 28-May-17 15:32:50

loup are you working for Glamour Empire Dresses?! I've just ordered one!

I'd love lots of whites and nudes but invariably get covered in snot/puke/general child-related goo, so I'm avoiding till they youngest is about 12!

I've recently updated my wardrobe. Basic day-to-day style is the same, just new - is not really shopped much for a few years and was feeling a bit sad about how tired and tatty I was looking. But day-to-day what works for me is skinny jeans, jersey tops generally from Jigsaw, Whistles, Joules, etc, often with a big oversized-slouchy-style cardigan (jigsaw again - not some monstrous mumsy number!) and either biker boots, converse or nikes, or sandals or birkis in summer. Often a nice scarf to pep it all up. Leggings and tunics feature on fat hungoverdays.

I'm a bit rubbish at remembering accessories, but have been meaning to do that more. Have also been making effort to put make-up on more, which just makes me feel more polished.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 28-May-17 16:14:06

Glad I'm not the only one who forgets accessories! I usually remember when I'm heading out the door but then go without anyway cos if I turned back it'd take ages to pick something out of the mountain of bangles and necklaces shock

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 16:16:57

Yes it does Hugh and it dries very quickly too, I'm really pleased with it. I got the navy but I'm thinking about ordering the other colours too, I really like the green.

High hahaha nope but perhaps I should ask if I can become a rep? Might save me a lot of money if they do staff discounts! grin wink

LoupGarou Sun 28-May-17 16:21:49

Oh yes and I have several plain silver statement necklaces, some plain gold ones and some rose gold ones, so if I'm in a hurry or more likely can't be added I can just grab one and go, no humming and haaaing which I would do otherwise. I have those in a separate section of my x dressing room.

I also have a few sets of no fuss quick outfits which I can just grab and thrown on if I'm running late knowing they'll look good, so for a bad weather day - top, bottom, underwear, jewellery, jacket and shoes all in a cubby hole, then another set for another situation, eg a messy play date outfit, smart casual for a meeting etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now