We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What should I wear with this dress for a posh afternoon tea?

(22 Posts)
UnGoogleable Sat 27-May-17 16:34:34

I'm going to a posh afternoon tea in London in July. I already have this dress Ivory Wiggle dress which I'm hoping will be appropriate?

I'm thinking I'll need some sort of lightweight coat / cardigan type thing to wear over it as I'll be out all day. So what would you style gurus recommend?

Also, I have navy blue heels... will they work, or should I buy some nude heels?

DarlingCoffee Sat 27-May-17 19:30:46

I would buy the nude heels and maybe a large wrap - pretty dress!

MuvaWifey77 Sat 27-May-17 19:36:15

Lovely dress OP, I say keep the heels, vibrant colours are so in this summer, bright pink , bright red and bright blue are would be very good choices. I would wear a large wrap too... Something that could easily be just over the shoulders or all around because you never know how the weather will be. Nude heels will make the look too simple, in my opinion colourful heels make a better look.

bojorojo Sat 27-May-17 21:48:46

Or choose a pink lightweight cashmere cardi! I really like the dress and I would look at pink lower heels. Kitten heels are back! Try a white bag or it will be too matchy matchy.

PossibiliTea Sat 27-May-17 21:50:40

Yeah navy and pink accessories would be fab. Gorgeous dress!

SpiritedLondon Sat 27-May-17 22:27:02

I would probably go with colourful shoes, pink probably, rather than nude but I would be careful about how high they are unless you're planning on taking taxis everywhere. London can be hot as hell in the summer because the heat bounces off the concrete and it can be hard to pick up a breeze because of the buildings. If I took any additional layer I would make it light weight because you will likely be carrying it for a lot of the day and will hate yourself if you having to lug anything heavier around..

UnGoogleable Sat 27-May-17 22:27:21

Glad you like the dress! I bought it on a whim last year as a backup for a Christmas wedding, but decided it was too summery. So I'm glad I've found something to wear it to!

I'm not usually a fan of wraps, I find them too fiddly, but I can see that it would be quite adaptable in this situation - London in July could be warm, and I've no idea whether we'll be indoors / outdoors or what.

I have a barbie pink pashmina - would that work?? With Navy heels?

UnGoogleable Sat 27-May-17 22:29:09

Oh and my Navy heels are 1940s style kitten heels - I've worn them in London before, so I know I can cope in them all day smile

Mustwearahat Sat 27-May-17 22:31:15

Beautiful dress! For a dress with similar colours, I bought a light, sheer jacket thing from Coast. Mine was navy - it looks like a wrap but is easier to wear - has arms. Not doing a v good job of describing, but it was lovely to wear...

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 27-May-17 22:32:56

A shawl matching a colour in the dress.

Mustwearahat Sat 27-May-17 22:35:43

Like this: cover-up

UnGoogleable Sat 27-May-17 22:48:53

Sounds good, thank you!

So the consensus is a heavier jacket/cardi thing is a no-no? I was thinking of one of those 3/4 length woolen jacket things. Probably too warm for July?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 27-May-17 23:56:11

I'm not a fan of wraps either but the focus is the dress and you will never get a jacket or coat which does it justice.

A pink pashmina should be fine, I agree coloured shoes, not nude

Brandnewbrighttomorrow Sat 27-May-17 23:59:15

Gorgeous dress! I'd go for pink sling backs and a slim fitting cardi

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 28-May-17 00:07:29

I think navy heels would be too dark but any colour , pink,green, or yellow from the dress.

I would not wear a cardy or anything knitted. They will hide the dress and make it less formal. A wrap or a pashmina won't.

user1471545174 Sun 28-May-17 08:03:13

Navy heels are fine, you know them already so your feet won't hurt (that would affect enjoyment of came).

The dress is really gorgeous.

user1471545174 Sun 28-May-17 08:03:42

*CAKE not came grin

MrsMozart Sun 28-May-17 08:06:06

Gorgeous dress smile

Hurleygirl123 Sun 28-May-17 08:06:14

I love sling back delsie britta heels from clarks...lovely nude colour with dress? Love that dress!

TupperwareTat Sun 28-May-17 08:07:32

Yes, wear your blue heels that you could run for a bus in

Beautiful dress!

HappyEverIftar Sun 28-May-17 11:09:34

Love the dress OP, I'm looking for just this shape to wear to a wedding.

UnGoogleable Mon 29-May-17 12:49:13

Happy they have loads of that shape on the website, lots of different fabrics. I have two - this one, and a cap sleeved one which I wore for a wedding. It's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now