Talk

Advanced search

Holiday clothes help

(20 Posts)
Chocolou Sat 27-May-17 10:25:06

I'm off to grab canaria in August. It's the first time of having a beach holiday in 12 years and quite frankly I've lost my way and have no idea what to wear!

I'm 43 size 12/14 hourglass with huge 30hh boobs. I'm looking for a couple of day outfits (my legs are quite big I think so don't really suit shorts) and a couple of evening outfits. What do you wear to the beach apart from bikini

Budget is small ish. Think matalan, next, new look. Please help!

Chocolou Sat 27-May-17 11:25:41

Anybody?

Chocolou Sat 27-May-17 20:36:12

Bumping for the stylish evening crowd

Dailystuck71 Sat 27-May-17 21:18:28

You won't need day outfits,other than a cover up. A pair of shorts and a t shirt may be if you have a day away from the beach or pool.

I just buy sun dresses for evenings. Next have good linen dresses at the moment.

WildNightsWithAndyDay Sat 27-May-17 21:21:42

On beach holidays I just like basics that I can jazz up with statement jewellery in the evening. New look and gap have some nice maxi dresses and tunic dressed which are great for throwing on top of bikinis when walking to/ from beach or going for lunch.

fiorentina Sat 27-May-17 21:43:18

Primark had some good cotton kaftans today which are great to throw over a bikini, I wasn't so keen on the New Look ones as all synthetic and I thought sweaty. Or I throw on short cotton dresses with metallic sandals. For evenings I have a jumpsuit I saw some good ones at Tu at Sainsbury's recently, I love plain mix and match outfits with funky jewellery.

dudsville Sat 27-May-17 21:57:56

I think the biggest mistake is to take all new stuff because you don't know how it's going to wear and if you'll be comfortable in it. I'd suggest adapting a few items you already own and love with a small few new bits. I've been wearing in sandas for my holiday and discovered the colour, which I thought was going to be fun, was really off putting so I've ordered some dye and they'll be ready in time. Also, pack light!

FlamingoSanDomingo Sat 27-May-17 22:07:40

I live in dresses on holiday as I don't like shorts either (too hot and sweaty).

Next have plenty of jersey dresses that are ideal for throwing on over a swimsuit or could be worn in the evening. Boden also have lots of choice for dresses - wait for their sales/discounts - and also have great returns - order lots of different styles and send back things that don't work for you.

Don't leave it too late though - by July the shops will be getting their autumn stuff in!

FlamingoSanDomingo Sat 27-May-17 22:12:18

This is the sort of thing...

http://www.next.co.uk/g75114s1#978573

Dailystuck71 Sun 28-May-17 08:39:51

This is the dress I have bought. Considering buying the other colour too

www.next.co.uk/g8450s3#724463

Gillybobs Sun 28-May-17 08:59:43

Ive bought a few jersey t shirt dresses for daytime from h & m , as others have said they are ideal for throwing on during the day with flip flops, at night a nice cross body bag or clutch and some interesting earrings will amp it up a bit
www2.hm.com/en_gb/ladies/shop-by-product/dresses.html?product-type=ladies_dresses&sort=ascPrice&offset=0&page-size=30

Chocolou Sun 28-May-17 09:01:34

Love that next dress flamingo. Ordered a couple of bits from H&M so wait to see what they look like. Would prefer dresses as it's less to pack!

What do you wear to the beach? Is it kaftan or shorts? Feel so out of touch.

Gillybobs Sun 28-May-17 09:01:58

I've also bought a few pairs of these embroidered shorts from Matalan, great value. Will wear with plain vests and sandals
www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2650745/embroidered-trim-shorts

fizzicles Sun 28-May-17 09:05:40

Can you afford to buy one more expensive dress from bravissimo? They are cut to fit bigger boobs, and they have some nice summery stuff.

Chocolou Sun 28-May-17 09:06:07

Love them shorts gilly. Are they quite short? But conscious of my legs.

SimplyPut Sun 28-May-17 09:13:00

As a fellow booby lady I find jersey dresses are ideal for throwing on over swimwear during the day but equally fab with wedges, a clutch and statement jewellery for the evening. Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Boden and Zara are all good.

QueenofLouisiana Sun 28-May-17 09:13:08

I capsule wardrobe for the Canaries, mine usually is this:
2 bikinis, interchangeable tops and bottoms
Tankini top
Cotton beach cover-up )just below hip level)
Hat
Shorts
2 t-shirt dresses (walking to pool/ beach)
3 vest tops
Loose trousers (either palazzo pants or 7/8 cropped)
2 or 3 loose chiffon tops
Tube skirt
Floaty skirt
2 t-shirts
Cotton cardigan
Wide cotton scarf
Dress for a smarter dinner.
Flip flops, fit flops, sparkly heels.
Hamman towel (very useful- beach towel, cover for snoozing child, wrap if the weather suddenly changes)
All fits in carry on luggage. Mine are all navy/ white/silver so everything goes with everything else. (The exception is my hat- a leather bush ranger job as I need to keep the sun off my face).

buckeejit Sun 28-May-17 09:26:08

Asda have some great stuff-I got a couple of jumpsuits & linen culottes & floaty trousers yest.

I'm pear shaped with big boobs so find normal shorts look awful & linen dresses don't fit well. Jersey maxi dress & wedges for evening-again some nice jewellery

Gillybobs Sun 28-May-17 09:33:56

Not too short Choc, I'm quite long legged and they're not indecent at all

Chocolou Sun 28-May-17 09:41:15

Thanks for the lists. This is great. Was thinking maybe a jersey vest jumpsuit to travel in. I'm totally clueless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now