Talk

Advanced search

Help with black tie outfit please

(16 Posts)
yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 07:55:58

Please have a think for me:
I am going to a black tie functionin a couple of weeks and need something to wear.
I am 5'4" , 55, and very much pear shaped. I am used to being a size 12 ( 10 top and Up to 14 bottom) but have put a lot of weight on and so am now a 14 with untoned arms and wide hips that would need a full skirt.
I will be wearing flat sandals
I have bad legs so happy with long dress/skirt+top
I have lots of lumpy bumpy bits so clingy fabrics are not the best
I don't suit round necks and usually go for v type( normally show off shoulders but can't at the moment)
I need to buy by mail order I think as working and busy with family stuff at the moment
I usually go for plain or at least non busy patterns and don't suit pastels
Up to about £300
Any hope?

Brillenbar Sat 27-May-17 08:03:53

Of course there's hope ! When you say back tie are you expecting others to be wearing g cocktail dresses? Would you consider a jumpsuit or skirt and top? And is budget to include shoes and bag?

Brillenbar Sat 27-May-17 08:09:04

Have a look at Nikki's blog www.midlifechic.com/black-tie-for-women-over-40/ I have gone with wide skirt and top option a few times for black tie recently and it does work and somehow feels more modern (and if top and bottom are different sizes top and skirt is the ideal solution)

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 08:18:51

Thank you
Not including shoes and bag
Most people will be wearing long, but it starts early evening so we'will be having drinks outside on grass
It is definitely black tie but not super formal beachside of this
I like idea of top and skirt because shape wise it will suit me
Budget not strict ... guide price!!

Friolero Sat 27-May-17 08:19:49

Something like this maybe?
http://www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/destiny-dress/230240960#dvtpha23710UKK_2

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 08:25:29

Brill love website and that is just what I was thinking about... will investigate
Frio yes I think the style would suit but I feel as if I am being picky by saying it looks a little all one colour and drab....
I do like nice clothes and if spending money would like to feel a bit treated as well as have the opportunity to wear it again

TuddlesAndSisses Sat 27-May-17 08:25:57

How long is long? this is very elegant

StarHeartDiamond Sat 27-May-17 08:28:21

Coast do some long skirts, the Sanja printed hi-low skirt (sorry can't do links) would look dramatic and summery and you'd have quite a choice of good to wear.

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 08:29:49

Tuddles thank you ... agree lovely colour and in my pre plump life would have liked... length almost certainly ok as I am shortish and no need for it to be grazing floor necessarily ... arms would be an issue
Have I got to the'shrug' stage?
I am planning to lose the extra weight it has appeared as if by magic !

Brillenbar Sat 27-May-17 08:31:47

Some skirt suggestions
www.marksandspencer.com/floral-print-a-line-skirt/p/p60106738?image=SD_01_T59_4738_F4_X_EC_90&color=NAVYMIX&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

www.lkbennett.com/Collections/Clothing/Eva-Black-Viscose-Silk-Skirt/p/CSEVAVISCOSESILKPrintBlack

www.coast-stores.com/p/carly-stripe-high-low-skirt/1805589

www.finerylondon.com/uk/products/belshaw-fold-a-line-skirt-1920aw1601blue?taxon_id=10

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 08:41:04

L k Bennett lovely... have a feeling it would accentuate my hips rather
Shape of m and s around middle would probably good
Will look at Coast : both the high low skirts look flattering from my phone and monochrome easy ....
you are all so knowledgeable

StarHeartDiamond Sat 27-May-17 08:53:38

Yikes - coast skirt also a-line so you won't get the bunching around the waist of a gathered/pleated skirt. Very flattering.

StarHeartDiamond Sat 27-May-17 08:54:55

In fact the top the model is wearing would also be good, you can wear a normal bra but off shoulder very trendy & summery, and you could team with different skirts in the future.

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 09:33:39

Thank you Star

TuddlesAndSisses Sat 27-May-17 14:33:04

Saw this and thought of you?

A cover up for your arms is definitely acceptable given our unpredictable climate

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 27-May-17 17:15:39

Tuddles thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now