Talk

Advanced search

Step Motjher of the bride

(46 Posts)
achangeisgonnacome Fri 26-May-17 21:05:17

Lovely S&B MNers, can you help me find a dress to wear to my beautiful DSD's wedding.

From searching over the past few months there appears to be an obvious style for MOBs, but what about SMOBs? Do we wear similar or just as a guest.

I'm not after outshining anyone, ie DP's ex -we all get on fairly well so no 'point scoring' to be had (as someone said to me recently. hmm

I'm Asian with olive skin tone, and have short hair similar to Halle Berry did in the late 90s. I'm just under 5 foot, a size 10 and have short chunky legs, an ample derrière and wobbly tum. Yay, go me grin

My best feature is my neck and shoulders, plus usually my arms which i hope to tone up more a la Pippa M.

My usual style is shift dress and heels which I'm happy to stick with , but everything around seems to have huge florals on which don't suit me. Then there are those asymmetric dresses in those jacquard type fabrics which whilst lovely, drown me as I'm at least a foot too short...

Colours that suit me are pinks, corals, turquoise.

Cannot be lace as have a feeling MOB's dress is.

Over to you....and TIA

achangeisgonnacome Fri 26-May-17 23:18:03

Bump?

Bibs2014 Fri 26-May-17 23:33:29

Have you looked in Phase Eight?

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 08:24:12

Yes I have (on line ) but nothing really grabs me.

I'm off to John Lewis today so may find something there.

MrTumblesbitch Sat 27-May-17 08:29:06

I've just had a nosey - I'm NOT stylish at all though - but this jumped out as really flattering for the good of neck and shoulders?

I'll have another mooch about - apologies if I'm way off!

therootoftheroot Sat 27-May-17 08:30:32

find out what colour MOB is wearing before you go shopping.
i would go more standard guest than full on MOB.
will come back with some ideas

MrTumblesbitch Sat 27-May-17 08:32:47

Is this too briedsmaidy?

MrTumblesbitch Sat 27-May-17 08:35:44

And lastly, I searched for all the size 10 blue dresses in house of fraiser [https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/women/dresses/blue/03.301.0.0.0042.1.pl#size_0053289-0055157-0056155-0056200 here!]

Intransige Sat 27-May-17 08:35:57

Does this kind of shape work for you?

MrTumblesbitch Sat 27-May-17 08:36:18

here?! hope this link works this time!

There's some lovely looking ones smile

Growuphelen Sat 27-May-17 08:36:27

Yes, colour is essential. My son's stepmum turned up in exactly the same shade of green as the bridesmaids. There were raised eyebrows to say the least.

Intransige Sat 27-May-17 08:37:19

Or something like this?

Intransige Sat 27-May-17 08:38:10

Oops just re-read and you don't want floral prints.

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 10:02:30

Mr Tumblesbitch - love the style as it's very me. Am sure it's one I tried on and the fabric was too heavy' for me, if that makes sense.

The other one- lovely colour but, yes way too bridesmaidy.

Intransige: because of my (lack of) height that shape doesn't suit I'm afraid.

The chiffon one is not me at all. Floaty and serene I'm not.

Deeper pinks, coral, oranges work for me too.

Would gold be a no no? DSD's dress isn't oyster /champagne type colours. But still better to stay away?
Purple and brown are colours that I need to avoid, so no clashing with MOB.

No pale grey as that's the bridesmaids and DSDs DDs (flower girls) are wearing pale pink.

I've only known about the wedding for a year and here I am, six weeks to go with nothing to wear. shock

MrTumblesbitch Sat 27-May-17 10:07:43

I really like this in teal, but there is an orange version too

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 10:30:40

I actually like the pink as well Mr T'sb (sorry your name appears to be getting shorter and shorter!) May have to order all three wink

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 10:30:59

Thanks Mr T'sbitch (aware by abbreviating that's a whole other programme, but hey..smile )

I'm going to order both colours, although prefer the teal if I'm honest.

therootoftheroot Sat 27-May-17 10:31:35

do you think you need petite fit or regular?

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/women/precis-petite-petite-fit-and-flare-dress/d808851.pd#271142623

this is lovely

www.coast-stores.com/p/angelina-shift-dress/1763958

love this

herecomesthsun Sat 27-May-17 11:33:59

looking in Boden, for reddy-corally-pinky ones that show off the shoulders. These tend to be below knee, but do often come as petite and are well rated on review. I guess they might come up a bit lower hemmed on someone who is more petite.There are lots of codes.

Boden, sort of coral-red, cotton

in 2 shades of pink and red

orangey coral off the shoulder

longitudinal stripes, pink palette

dark pink cotton, light knit, sleeveless

dark link

ISpeakJive Sat 27-May-17 20:12:09

I know you said no lace but what about this....
www.jacques-vert.co.uk/jacques-vert/lace-drape-cape-dress/010045418.html?cgid=jv_to_motb&dwvar_010045418_color=0354

herecomesthsun Sat 27-May-17 20:37:50

Gina Bacconi, coral or tangerine

Temperley

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 23:11:26

I went to Coast today and tried on 10 dresses. Apart from the fact that none were right for me, the sizing was all up the spout, so I needed bigger sizes on some and my usual on others. Made me feel a bit rubbish actually,

So....I've just ordered 19 dresses from House of Fraser, including some of the suggestions on this thread, so thank you.

Gotta love HOF, as ordered at 11.15pm and yet able to collect from local store tomorrow from 12. That's service.

achangeisgonnacome Sat 27-May-17 23:16:14

ispeakjive* lovely dress but no can do. DSD's bridesmaids are in that same colour.
herecomesthesun* like the Temperly one a lot. Will take look when at JL on Monday. The other not so much.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 27-May-17 23:20:45

Love that you've ordered 19 dresses grin

Some great options here, but as a fellow short and curvy just wanted to say do remember you can get things taken up/taken in to fit right. Most dresses are cut for taller ladies, don't discount something because it isn't quite right

Intransige Sun 28-May-17 07:43:23

The Temperley one is gorgeous.
What about this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now