Talk

Advanced search

Need a skirt suit for 16yo Dd. Sixth form. Struggling to find anything

(41 Posts)
PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 18:10:20

Any suggestions of other shops to try?

So far online e have looked at ,Next, m&s, new look, H&M, Debenhams, John Lewis, Hobbs, ted baker, house of Fraser.

Rules are strict. Skirt must be knee length and not tight. Jacket must match skirt.

She wants a pink or cream suit! I have said it needs to be black or navy or grey. She says not black or navy.....she might consider grey if it's light grey!

Thought we wouldn't need it till sept but she has a taster day next month so need to get a suit this weekend really!

ImperialBlether Fri 26-May-17 18:12:24

Isn't it meant to be office wear? I know my daughter's school wouldn't have accepted pink or cream suits.

LIZS Fri 26-May-17 18:14:11

Next did have some but probably not best timing,

Crumbs1 Fri 26-May-17 18:14:50

We had to have black, grey or navy but all the girls wore exactly the same black ones from Mango. They were good for smaller sizes - we had real difficulties trying to get size 4-6 in petite. Their six was fine as cut narrow fit but still had to be hemmed.

TommyandGina Fri 26-May-17 18:15:25

I'd be concerned that pink or cream might look a bit 'weddingy'. Can you talk her into a darker suit with a pink blouse?

Floralnomad Fri 26-May-17 18:15:31

Dorothy Perkins do office wear and they might have brighter colours . I don't know why schools bother with setting such restrictive policies on 6th form students , either treat them like young adults or keep them in uniform .

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 18:16:07

Yes, office wear.

The rules don't specifically ban pink or cream suits and the rules bit of paper is a4 and lengthy. However I suspect a dim view would be taken. New school so no experience but has a reputation for being strict.

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 26-May-17 18:16:35

I have loads of grey ones from banana republic, which I think is the same company as gap. I get them on eBay generally and cannot fault them

fabulousathome Fri 26-May-17 18:16:55

Have a look at Marks and Spencers too.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 18:28:57

Thanks for the ideas.

Found a nice one on banana republic website. Dd thinking she wants to try it on, do they have real shops? We can always try Gap on Saturday to see if they have similar.

She's not keen on the black suit in mango and then got distracted by light coloured suits. Wrong time of year really, there's so much Pastel stuff about.

LIZS Fri 26-May-17 19:01:01

John Lewis?

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 19:10:04

Nt find anything in John Lewis or Dorothy Perkins or topshop or Zara.

Wish she would agree to trousers, seems more choice with trouser suits.

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 26-May-17 19:12:18

There isn't BR in the Uk afaik. Google it to be certain though.

I've found it true to size, but don't forget it's American sizing (i.e. 2 smaller than U.K.)

BikeRunSki Fri 26-May-17 19:16:02

There was a BR in the Trafford Centre, but I haven't been there fir about 18 months, so it may have gone.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 19:20:42

Google suggests the actual shops closed last year.

blueskyinmarch Fri 26-May-17 19:32:59

I am still traumatised by the memory of shopping for 6th form suits. It is a nightmare. I have had to do it with two DDs. Thankfully both have left school now. I have no suggestions for you but I feel your pain. Measuring the heels on shoes was a particular highlight as I recall.

itshappenedagain Fri 26-May-17 19:33:11

I get my work suits from matalan. Good sized, wash well, cheap and lots of choice( order online and can return in store.

user1495388403 Fri 26-May-17 19:36:41

So ridiculous. They should just let them wear whatever they want like most of the other schools.

BubbleBed Fri 26-May-17 19:40:34

Primark has always been good for sixth form/interview suits. Often good cuts for younger wearers, and shift dresses/trousers/skirts in same colour as jacket, so you get a good range for the money.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 19:51:42

Didn't realise primark did suits, thanks.

Off to look at matalan online now.

This is going to be worse than first bra shopping I feel!

Argeles Fri 26-May-17 19:59:18

I have seen blush pink and cream suit jackets, pencil skirts and trousers in Dorothy Perkins & they currently have around 30% off.

I've also seen pale blush & candy shade smart jackets and blazers in Zara, River Island, New Look and Wallis - I don't know if they sell the matching skirts though. I think it'd be well worth checking their websites to see.

PrettyLittleThing.com, ASOS and MissGuided have also had plenty of pinks and creams - You may well find something here if not in the regular stores.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 20:02:13

When we looked round I didn't see any girls in pink or cream suits.....I suspect it's not allowed.

Just not practical anyway, she will have to commute firstly by train and then either bus or possibly cycle. She would get filthy!

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 20:05:30

The worst thing is she needs this for the taster day but if she messes her exams up she won't get a place and will have to go to current school in jeans and I will have wasted all that money!

NotMeNoNo Fri 26-May-17 20:07:19

Pale grey with a pink blouse should be fine. Is she an unusual size/colouring? Was there no suit in any of those places or did she not like the ones she saw? Business suits can be hard to find at the wedding season.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 26-May-17 20:09:49

Just didn't like anything. She's a size 10 but very fussy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now