We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you know anything about this kind of gold chain (jewellery)?

(4 Posts)
fabulousathome Fri 26-May-17 18:09:14

Hello, I was recently given this gold chain/necklace. I think it's quite old and wanted to know something about it.

I have Googled loads of chains but can't find anything similar. Does anyone know what era it belongs to please? There are no marks on it but I think it might be 18ct gold as it's pretty heavy. Pictures attached. I love it!

margaritasbythesea Fri 26-May-17 19:56:28

I am interested too I love that sort if chain.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 26-May-17 22:21:34

Working from a picture so not easy at all... I'm swayed between 1910-20's and 1970's date wise as it fits markers for both style-wise.

The type of metal used is often a giveaway as it can tell us where it's origins are. (EG: 9kt and 18kt more used in UK whereas 14 and 22 more prominent in Asia)
Any jeweller- a proper jeweller with a workshop- will be able to acid test this for you and determine exactly what karat of gold the chain is made of.

fabulousathome Sat 27-May-17 13:48:08

Thank you TrollTheRespawn. I think my Mum had it since the 1970s. The ring which you put the clasp into does look a little unusual so you might be right about the Asia origins. I also have some bangles which are Kenyan Asian Wedding gold.

It's certainly an unusual design of link. It weighs 44gms and is 67cm long. I will take it to a jeweller and ask them to test it. Good idea and thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now