Talk

Advanced search

Summer work clothes

(37 Posts)

Help, please! I've put weight on and none of my summer clothes fit properly. I need smartish work clothes, that will suit a short person who is a big size 12, maybe a 14. I have some money (don't need supermarket bargains) but not lots (can't afford Jigsaw and its ilk). Any ideas, please?

FlindersKeepers Fri 26-May-17 17:32:59

If you don't hate Lyocell, these Lands End tops are brilliant. I have 4 (2 grey, 1 olive, 1 blue). 12-14 is probably a M.
They wash brilliantly, do not need ironing, the sleeve is open at the armpit so if/when you feel sticky over the summer, you can top up your deodorant no problem.
The bright blue is the identical shade to the blue currently sold in Cos - because I have the blue on and was in there today. And always look for a code!

FlindersKeepers Fri 26-May-17 17:33:36

They also sell petite.

Thanks. I need to wear a jacket, so don't think ruffle sleeves will work.

Bejazzled Fri 26-May-17 20:44:41

I got a silk cotton mix collared top from Banana Republic which is nice under a jacket. Also Jaeger Outlet has the odd gem and they have 20% extra off everything at the mo.

Thank you. smile

Floisme Sat 27-May-17 10:19:42

Not sure if this will be much help as my work is very dress down these days but at the moment, I'm buying office clothes mostly from H&M, Uniqlo, Cos and M&S Autograph plus a shedload of second hand.

I burn easily so I'm wearing a lot of slightly oversized, long sleeved shirts in cotton, silk or linen. Particularly liking the silk shirts (all second hand so not many ££s) - cool when it's hot and warm when it's not and, if I wear them loose fitting over a cotton vest, I don't get the dreaded sweat stains.

Do you know what kind of look you're after?

It needs to be a suit-ish sort of look, or dresses with a jacket over.

I'm going to look at the slim trousers in Gap. Tops need to be short sleeved or sleeveless, as have to be covered with a jacket. Jackets are the biggest problem because so many of them are polyester, or polyester lined and therefore hot/sweaty.

I fancy a vaguely boho jacket to wear with slim leg ankle length trousers, but can't find anything.

KanyesLunchbox Sat 27-May-17 14:50:44

I'm spamming s&b at the moment, but the Benetton chinos are great, slim leg, nice weight cotton.

KanyesLunchbox Sat 27-May-17 18:17:25

I feel like my lame joke about spamming killed your thread Remus...sorry about that!

No need to apologise. It's a very boring thread! And it's been grey and depressing all day here anyway.

Floisme Sat 27-May-17 22:16:06

Would the Hush Cara jacket work? Sorry can't link right now but it has a bit of a Chanel vibe, smart but not corporate and I've seen quite a lot of posts about it.
Can't quite believe I'm suggesting Hush after all the times I've ranted about their quality grin but it does look nice.
Mind you so did their linen jacket which has now stretched so much it could double up as a hammock.

Floisme Sat 27-May-17 22:17:22

Linen jumper - but Cara is a jacket

SwedishEdith Sat 27-May-17 22:22:42

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/women/bottoms/trousers

I love Uniqlo trousers in the summer and they have a very discreet elasticated waist at the rear

taybert Sat 27-May-17 22:27:01

Are the uniqlo jersey jackets too casual? I tend to go with slim leg 7/8 trousers, a plain top and one of those jackets at the moment but I appreciate some work places would demand something more formal.

CatsRidingRollercoasters Sat 27-May-17 22:43:59

FindersKeepers thanks for the link to the Land's End tops. How do they size up? I'm a 12 but big busted. Not sure whether to order small (10-12) or medium (14-16). What do you reckon?

JohnCheese Sat 27-May-17 23:19:21

I ordered and returned last year's equivalent of the Hush Cara jacket and it was nay good on me. I love it on the site and thought it would be perfect for that relaxed vibe I hoped for, but irl I looked matronly. I still find Zara good for jackets, and you can pick up cotton ones.

I recently bought these trews from Gap and they're not bad. Unusually for Gap, do not size down (got an unpleasant fright that day!). I have their bistretch but they're too hot and fitted for summer. I've short legs and these are definitely cropped on me.

skyzumarubble Sat 27-May-17 23:30:20

I'm wearing dresses from Sainsbury's at the moment. Surprisingly good quality, smart, wash well and cheap!

Floisme Sat 27-May-17 23:37:12

What about that fitted heavy Jersey jacket/blazer that Whistles do? Sorry still can't link but they do it every season and I've been known to try it on and wish I still needed to look smart for work.
(I've fallen out with Whistles too let's not get into that.)
Don't they still have 20% off at the moment?

I've got an American Vintage jacket similar to (and nicer than, on me anyway) the Whistles one. Can't find any nice grey trousers though.

I also have a lovely Hobbs navy jacket, but I don't like navy much, and never know what to wear it with.

Tanaqui Sun 28-May-17 10:23:21

Boden have a couple of jackets in the clearance- winter ones but poss worth a look for next term?

Do you do skirts? Navy jacket might be good with grey/ orange/ floral pleated or pencil midi, depending on your style?

Uniqlo had some nice slim cut trousers last time I was in.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 28-May-17 11:27:57

Cats - I don't know about those tops, but I get quite a lot of Lands End stuff (one of the better places for petites and good quality cotton) - Most styles tend towards the generous. But they do free returns and exchanges, so it's pretty safe to give them a try.

The navy jacket doesn't seem to work with any of my skirts.

Bought some Gap slim printed trousers today - cotton with elastane. They should work with a sleeveless white shirt and the American Vintage jacket mentioned below, hopefully.

I've got lots of winter jackets, but am really struggling to find any light, non-sweaty ones for summer. I used to have a brilliant cropped, cotton open front black one which I found in a charity shop and wore until it quite literally fell to pieces!

snowgirl1 Mon 29-May-17 08:57:55

M&S have some unlined jackets that are quite good for summer (if you can ignore the dowdy styling online) here and they come in 6 different colours

Thanks, Snow. They are polyester though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now