Talk

Advanced search

Dry skin and fake tan?

(21 Posts)
dudsville Fri 26-May-17 08:50:23

I'm new to fake tan and have a problem. If i shower, shave and put on fake tan, my legs go crispy. If I shower, shave and moisturise with my thicker than anything moisturiser and then fake tan it goes on blotchy. Is there a solution?

LorLorr2 Fri 26-May-17 08:51:49

Do you let the moisturiser dry before you start tanning? It has to really sink in so you don't have "damp" skin x

dudsville Fri 26-May-17 08:55:14

Ah, I don't think I do, thank you!

Teddy6767 Fri 26-May-17 08:55:35

I don't shave until the following morning when I'm washing off my tan. I also don't moisturise before I put it on apart from my knee caps and elbows. Do you use a tanning mitt to apply it? Is it a proper fake tan you're using or a tanning body lotion? I find the latter always looks a little bit patchy on me. I use the st moriz tanning mousse and it looks like a real tan on me.
Also, are you exfoliating like mad before you apply it and also when you rinse it off? I use an exfoliator scrub and a flannel to really rub my skin and get rid of any dry bits.
Finally, don't have a bath or go swimming when you have fake tan on as it will make it fade really patchy. Showers are best and just dry yourself by dabbing with the towel instead of rubbing.

LilyRose16 Fri 26-May-17 09:04:30

I have a problem no matter what type of tan I use, my knees go dark brown and it looks like I've knelt in mud. What do I need to do?! I Don't mousturise at all, is that where I'm going wrong? (Sorry for hijacking!)

Teddy6767 Fri 26-May-17 09:06:29

Exfoliate your knees like crazy before you apply the tan and also apply a thin layer of body moisturiser to them just before to act as a barrier to the tan. Don't apply as much tan to your knees and elbows as you would to the rest of your legs and arms. Exfoliate the area like mad again when you wash it off

thethoughtfox Fri 26-May-17 11:25:46

There is a lovely Fake Bake oil free moisturiser that smells divine that you can use over or under your tan and it doesn't affect the colour.Put that on knees and elbows.

dudsville Fri 26-May-17 13:52:43

Interesting, my knees are ok. My legs are so dry though on the shins and feet. I don't do my upper body.

I'm using st tropez. I think it's the moisturiser issue mentioned up thread because it's not been patchy before and I've been doing it for about 3 or 4 weeks.

As for knees, I presume if you apply it bent then it gets into all the surface of the knee, so when you're standing they'll be darker as the skin is less taut? ??

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-May-17 16:47:49

The tanning agent, dha, is very drying so if you have dry skin your better off using morrocan tan which is sold in professional beauty salons.

St Tropez do an oil based spray tan & a face tanner oil but not a body one.

dudsville Sat 27-May-17 21:48:04

Thanks fluffy, I'd begun to wonder if it was the tanning lotion so this seals it. I've been moisturising for days now and skin is looking better and was about to fake tan again but I think you're right! Will try your suggestions.

PossibiliTea Sat 27-May-17 21:53:46

I know it's not instant but I have palmers cocoa butter gradual tanner it's the only one that doesn't go weird when I put it on after the shower and shaving. And because it's a moisturiser it gets better every time.

It actually develops pretty quickly so if you just wanted something light if you put it on in the morning it would be good for the night.

PossibiliTea Sat 27-May-17 21:55:47

Teddy is right the st. Moriz mousse is really good too! And usually a bargain.

TresDesolee Sat 27-May-17 22:03:24

I have really dry skin (sounds like yours OP) and I use tanning lotion at night after a shower (sienna x) and thick moisturiser in the morning after showering off the tanner. It's time consuming but it stops my skin falling off

villainousbroodmare Sat 27-May-17 22:05:09

St Moritz is cheap and gives a great colour but on me lasts barely 3 days. Better tans last 5 days.
I also find mousse formulations very drying and much prefer lotions.

dudsville Sun 28-May-17 08:39:06

Tres, is sienna x the name of the lotion?

My shins are so dry that they itch and can go scaly if I don't apply huge amounts of the nivea thick cream once or twice daily. My feet are hard to keep moisturised also. The combined effect of this and what I now know was the drying tanning lotion, was that my skin looked massively aged. I've not tanned for several days now and have been lotioning up to recover my skin. I've been researching gradual tanners and Loreal Sublime Bronze has been mentioned in many "10 of the best" lists as good for dry skin so I'm off to get some of that!

TresDesolee Sun 28-May-17 09:07:46

Yep sienna x is the brand name. They've got various products but I use the lotion - but tbh I use a variety of tanning lotions, I tend to think they're much of a muchness (could be wrong!)

Body Shop body butters are good for dry skin IMO and lots of people love the Palmers cocoa butter. CCS Cream is the bees knees for feet

binky11 Sun 28-May-17 09:29:22

When tanning I tend to smother myself in moisturiser before showering, allowing that to soak in well. Then shave and exfoliate in the shower. Then just put a little moisturiser on before the tan on really dry areas to stop it sticking. I have quite dry shins and that usually works well for me.

dudsville Sun 28-May-17 12:43:13

well, the only one available in the only shop open today (I live in a small town!) that was also reliably included in top ten lists was the darker of the Garnier summerbody. I've put it on. It smells wonderful and is already showing some colour, which is great as I was wondering if I could top it up of a morning before work or if that would take hours. Thanks pps who clued me in to the drying effect of tanning agents! Now, as a new tanner, let's see how quickly I take this too far and go orange!

RiseandGrind Sun 28-May-17 17:59:31

I get dry skin too so Ive been looking into fake tans without dha.

Meanwhile, the M&S oil is very good. If you use the primer beforehand its even better. Lasts about 5 days. One bottle does about 3 full body tans. Its a spray and very awkward though (i waste a lot).

Skinny mousse is good - apply with a roller.

I think oil free moisturisers help (they dint break down the tan like oil-based ones).

bitofabelly Sun 28-May-17 20:47:46

Why don't my shins fake tan as well as thighs or lower leg near foot...I always end up with paler shins

RiseandGrind Wed 07-Jun-17 00:24:53

Yes, I get pale shins and pale upper outer arms and ive noticed that i have keratosis pilaris here so perhaps thats why or, the skin is thinner due to being buffed/shaved/waxed? I just give it another coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now