Talk

Advanced search

Very high end wedding guest dress

(29 Posts)
Dontlaugh Thu 25-May-17 22:03:41

Right, I've lurked and posted on here for nigh on 10 years, now I need your help.
Ridiculous wealthy wedding at end of summer, sibling of large income marrying woman of equally large income. I know this is MN but it matters as in dress wise. Wedding abroad in a hot expensive place.
Throw dresses at me please, I'm on outnet, net a porter etc. Will take anything at this stage.
Should I wait for sales?
Won't wear polyester for €500 (what's that about?).
Thoughts welcome of the kind sort.

OlennasWimple Thu 25-May-17 22:05:31

What size are you? What shape?

Which bits do you want to show off / hide?

What colours do you like? How about patterns?

Flyinggeese Thu 25-May-17 22:12:20

What type of venue OP? Formal e.g. Cathedral then reception or outdoor etc?

Any no-go items, colours or styles for you?

How exciting!

VanillaSugar Thu 25-May-17 22:13:34

Selfridges is your friend.

ohgoshIdontknow Thu 25-May-17 22:14:09

Have a look at Goat dresses - I really like them.

And are you near any good independent boutiques? They're the best place to find something lovely with a budget like that.

ceeveebee Thu 25-May-17 22:14:53

There was a good article in the times about the kind of dresses worn to pippa's wedding will see if I can link to it

ceeveebee Thu 25-May-17 22:16:18

No it's behind a paywall but here is a photo

From left: £520, goatfashion.com; £295, chintiandparker.com; £191, thereformation.com; £328, anthropologie.com; £145, uterque.com; top, £245, and skirt, £350, beulahlondon.com

ceeveebee Thu 25-May-17 22:16:39

Photo

babyblackbird Thu 25-May-17 22:17:45

Watching with interest not that I have a high end wedding to go to but a girl can dream

ceeveebee Thu 25-May-17 22:18:19

Also this one is nice from needle and thread

multivac Thu 25-May-17 22:19:56

Ah, come on, OP - we need some clues! Colouring, figure, taste... I mean, I've just looked at Goat dresses and I think they are all horrid, but clearly they appeal to a previous poster, and therefore, I assume, make her look awesome....

I've never paid more than thirty quid for a frock, meself. But I do know that I've had thirty quid frocks that made me look and feel like an A-lister - and thirty quid frocks that made me look and feel like... someone who can't afford fancy frocks!

Crumbs1 Thu 25-May-17 22:22:44

Speak to John Lewis' personal shoppers. Plain, simple linen with nice hat. Mid height heels. If slender cream is good with darker accessories but darker colour if larger.
Avoid kitten heels/extreme heels/anything sparkly or overly ornate.
Definitely hat not fascinator. Definitely not anything too fashionable or particularly noticeable. No jumpsuits, no strange baggy trousers, no mini skirts unless under 20 years of age. No split skirts, no excessive cleavage. Sleeves.
Dress and jacket is hard to beat.

annandale Thu 25-May-17 22:37:03

If I had the budget (I don't) I would be tempted by this tulle dress

annandale Thu 25-May-17 22:40:07

And now I've fallen like a ton of bricks for this silk print. Lucky I don't get paid for a few days or I'd be so so tempted to blow the leccy bill on it.

Laska5772 Thu 25-May-17 22:43:41

Ill be probably shot here for even suggesting Boden , but I think this Boden Icons dress is lovely..

This dress featured by Jess Carter Morley in Guardian today , isnt my style at all , but was recommended

I love this but probably too bridal?

multivac Thu 25-May-17 22:58:13

See, to me, that Willa geometric print, with its ties and frills and bows and fussiness, is just hideous. I quite like the Boden thing. But I'm more about this kind of stuff...

Blumkin Thu 25-May-17 23:05:36

I'd be tempted to rent a dress, there are a few UK websites doing it now.

I only discovered it last year, but it saves me forking out several hundred quid on a new dress for each wedding which then gets abandoned in my wardrobe never to be worn again.

OlennasWimple Thu 25-May-17 23:07:09

Simple cotton rich dress

Silk chiffon MAtthew Williamson if you are a size 8

Polyester, but lovely if sleeveless is acceptable and the colours work for you

100% cotton Dolce & Gabbana

Silk but maybe too much coverage if wedding is in a very hot place

Only if it's a beach wedding

Stella McCartney

Only if cleavage is OK

Badgley Mischka

Michael Kors cotton

If strapless is OK

babyblackbird Thu 25-May-17 23:11:53

Ceeveebee I love that dress , good choice !

CustardLover Thu 25-May-17 23:13:23

This is the best thread ever.

OlennasWimple Thu 25-May-17 23:14:59

If I had the figure for it, I'd buy this Topshop dress and spend the rest of the budget on killer heels, hat and a bag...

OlennasWimple Thu 25-May-17 23:19:49

Possibly too low in the neck

Ted Baker

If not too short

More Ted Baker

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 25-May-17 23:33:24

Hot expensive place: do not go floral, avoid pastels unless silk. Will look too English mumsy, not international jet set enough.

Don't know what your colouring is.

If you have good knees and above, show them, as long as the culture says ok. If in the gulf, don't.

FlindersKeepers Thu 25-May-17 23:49:39

The Net à Porter sale starts soon, so I'd have a browse on there and wishlist items you like, then when the sale starts you either get a notification of the new price or can see if your item in your size is even in the sale when you log-in. Tory Burch and DVF have been reliable guest dresses for me, I do tend to grab things in good shapes that fit and flatter then wait for an event, rather than buy for one, but that's just me.

MrsJamesMathews Thu 25-May-17 23:53:48

This is a bit needle in haystack OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now