Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear in the summer if you're short and curvy?

(19 Posts)
dotandstripe Thu 25-May-17 09:08:43

Having another of those mornings when I try on half the things in my wardrobe and feel horrible...

I'm about 5ft3 tall and a curvy size 10/12 (big boobs, big hips, big thighs etc.). In the winter I know exactly what to wear to show off my best bits and create lines that work - i.e. black tights with a dark skirt or combining skinny jeans with a more loosely fitting cardi/jumper.

But all summer clothes are either loose and make me look bigger, or too tight to look decent. Skinny jeans are too hot but all cropped trousers make my legs look stumpy. I don't like short skirts but longer ones again cut my legs off at the wrong point and make them look shorter. I have a couple of dresses that work but sometimes would prefer trousers as I have a lot of summer tops that I like but no trousers/skirts that really work with them.

Work dress code is smart casual so most things are ok there as long as they don't look like beach wear...

Help?!

dirtyprettything Thu 25-May-17 10:52:23

I'm a similar size and height and have the same problems!

I have a few tshirt dresses from Boden which I like for casual wear
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/jersey-dresses/ww237-cor/womens-coral-reef_delphinium-blue-coralie-jersey-dress

I tend to wear their more structured dresses for work, plain colours only grin

I have a few midi pencil skirts (particularly love the jersey ones) which I'll wear to work with a sleeveless blouse and ballet pumps (don't like showing toes at work)
I've also been known to wear a nipped in waist dress with boots to work in the summer which I also like the look of.

Rioja123 Thu 25-May-17 10:57:32

I've got a similar shape to you and just got a gorgeous wrap dress delivered from asos.

PNGirl Thu 25-May-17 11:39:11

I'm also 5ft3 and a curvy 12 (34DD). I embrace my shortness to be honest - today I'm wearing navy looser-fitting rolled chinos, tan sandals, and a navy t shirt with cream polka dots.

These Chinos, actually! Sold out in navy.

www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2648299/belted-chino-trousers

When it's boiling I wear a pair of loose jersey trousers which taper, like these, in plain or a very subtle pattern:

www.next.co.uk/g502150s1

And then a vest and sandals.

RhythmAndStealth Thu 25-May-17 14:35:21

Knee length, skater style sundress with a nicely pressed linen shirt over the top. Tie the linen shirt at the waist and neatly roll up the sleeves to the elbow.

Shirt works over capri pants worn with a vest top too. But the Capri pants must stop just below the knee, at the narrow part before the curve of the calf widens.

Or a cropped cardigan in linen/cotton/silk over same style of dress/capris. Round neck, with 3/4 length sleeves. Worn buttoned round the waist but open over the bust.

Dancergirl Thu 25-May-17 15:18:47

I'm a similar size to you and today I am wearing a ruched skirt from Hush and a navy top from Baujken. I like dresses too but most of them are so shapeless!

Dancergirl Thu 25-May-17 15:19:14

Or when it's very hot or I'm on holiday, denim shorts with various tops.

Itsnothingoriginal Thu 25-May-17 16:23:50

Ooh Rioja - can you link to the wrap dress?

I really struggle in summer too OP. 5ft 3 and size 10 but have big thighs and I really don't think crop trousers are flattering however I might take Rhythm's good advice and look for some shorter length ones smile

Is it just me or do other curvy small people find the petite sized clothing ranges don't fit at all e.g. Next, M&S? They never fit me because it seems they are designed for tiny women that have absolutely no boobs or curves at all confused

Crabcanon Thu 25-May-17 16:28:43

It'snothing I'm 5'1 and no petite stuff fits me. I agree it seems to be cut for small but flat-chested, curve-free women. Which I'm not.

RhythmAndStealth Thu 25-May-17 16:33:46

Petite rarely fits me unless it's got some stretch. Big boobs, plus I have the body of someone 5' and the legs of someone 5'6" which combine to make me 5'4".

Bizarrely though, sometimes the largest kids size is better. Maybe they expect teenagers to sprout boobs and legs at some point?

TitsalinaBumSquash Thu 25-May-17 16:56:02

I'm 5ft and I usually shop at Next because I hate going into actual shops! Everything in the petite section is sold out and I'm getting too hot!
I need a decent everyday dress and some shorts that don't make my thunder thighs look like well thunder thighs 😂 I have huge boobs, small waist, large hips/bottom.

CountFosco Thu 25-May-17 18:37:40

I'm 5'2" and an hourglass size 12 and am wearing this dress to work today and got lots of compliments (I wore it with a tan leather belt rather than the fabric belt it came with). I'd say the waist is slightly high but it has accommodated my bust (30FF) without any gaping. They have another lighter blue dress in a similar shape but a bit dressier. Cotton and with pockets what could be better!

I do wear a lot of Boden petite dresses for work because they do cotton and linen dresses and fit well (Although I agree that they cut more for a pear shape than for someone with boobs, I think a lot of petite sizes feel smaller than the 'normal' sizes in the same brand).

I have the popular Gap bistretch skinnies although I think in the petite they are a bit shorter than I'd like, more 7/8 than ankle skimmers. They get worn with a variety of linen or cotton blouses plus flats.

For cooler days I have the Kettlewell Colours ruched skirt which is a good length for a shortarse and comes in a good variety of colours. If you are a 10/12 then get the S I'd say.

Rioja123 Thu 25-May-17 22:14:47

Can't find it now but it was by Closet. I find their dresses very flattering on curves, I have several.

Dancergirl Thu 25-May-17 22:25:58

That's a lovely dress count

Itsnothingoriginal Fri 26-May-17 23:00:54

Loving the Closet dresses!

I also really like the dress Count linked to - dresses are definitely the way to go this summer smile

minipie Fri 26-May-17 23:10:17

I'm 5'3 and 8/10 but squidgy (very unfit!) and with large bum and thighs

I wear

- maxi skirts (Boden jersey one/Phase 8 chiffon one at the moment)
- knee length skirts, not tight, either jersey or pleated to stick out a bit iyswim
- Joules chinos. Just got them and love them.
- Semi fitted t shirts. Hard to find, they need to be fitted enough to show off waist but not tight enough to cling to tummy rolls. Also need sleeves of some kind. Boden Lightweight boatneck is good
- Dresses - Boden again (eek), Oliver Bonas, Gap, H&M, Mango

I find 5'3 seems to bethe borderline between petite and standard - mostly standard works better, except for trouser length

hiccupgirl Sat 27-May-17 07:41:32

I'm 5'3.5' which is a pain because I'm too tall for petite ranges (and too large at a 16-18) but lots of standard sizes are too long for me. Though I do have long legs for my height so standard trousers can be ok from certain shops.

In this weather I wear chinos a lot - Next standard ones are the right length for me. Dresses from Boden - I'm a pear and the fit my shape. Tops from Next, Boden or TKMaxx - all suit my shape and height well generally. I've just got a pair of the Boden chino shorts in the longer length and they work well too when it's very hot.

Dancergirl Sat 27-May-17 13:21:18

I forgot about Oliver Bonas minipie what dresses have you bought from there?

minipie Sat 27-May-17 23:56:50

I have this one Dancer which I love (looks better in the flesh than in these pics) though it's a few seasons ago now. Pretty sure I had some others in the past too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now