Talk

Advanced search

Washing powder - keeping blacks black, colours coloured and patterns non fadey

(4 Posts)
GeekLove Wed 24-May-17 11:35:57

Hello
I currently use Fairy as it is decent and non allergenic but it does seem to fade my black clothes - this is a problem with black patterned fabrics. I wash at 40C and dry inside out but they do fade. What is the best washing powder to prevent fading, particularly in natural fabrics?

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 11:37:40

I too use Fairy (and don't wear much black) but washing at 30 seems to help

mrsmildred Wed 24-May-17 11:51:30

I don't think there is just one. I use the standard Persil one with optical brighteners (which is probably in the Fairy and causing the colours to fade) for whites, and Persil colour for colours and a delicates liquid for my wool and hand wash cycle.

I also wash at 30 degrees apart from the odd 60 degree when the towels and sheets and workout gear need a bit extra, but only when the fabric can stand it.

Haffiana Wed 24-May-17 19:01:50

Use a liquid for black items. Any liquid. Liquids do not contain bleaches as they are unstable in this format. Fairy powder has a lot of bleach and is fantastic for whites and light colours.

Just make sure if you use liquid that you do an occasional (hot) wash with the Fairy. The bleaches in powder keep the mouldy gunk in your washing machine sump at bay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now