Talk

Advanced search

Why is it so hard to find a good hairdresser?

(23 Posts)
Summerbreeze1 Tue 23-May-17 21:37:32

I really need to find a good hairdresser and am not having much luck. I tried a new one recently who made such a hash of my hair it was embarrassing and actually made me cry 😥. A senior stylist tried to sort it but three weeks on it looks like I haven't had it cut it ages.
Does anyone else have this problem? My hair is really thick and I have a lot of it. A hairdresser years ago (not where I live now) used to really like cutting my hair because it's so thick and I know I should be grateful but atm my hair doesn't feel like it's doing anything for me at all
How can I find a really good hairdresser that will know a flattering hairstyle and capable of cutting thick hair in a way that it sits nicely and looks like I've had a good haircut?
I'm in East Surrey if anyone has any personal recommendations.

OCSockOrphanage Tue 23-May-17 22:00:59

When you are next out and spot a woman with hair similar to yours that looks good, smile and ask her who cut it last. With two or three places to start, walk past the salons and stare in. Have coffee close by and study what the customers look like leaving. Then, walk in and ask for a free consultation.

GertyTheGert Tue 23-May-17 22:41:55

I tried all the above - not sure if only cos live London/Surrey borders but each woman I approached with a smile etc had had her hair cut "where she lived" ie commuted to London! I then looked at various hair salons but unfort whenever I slowly walked by, any customer paying at the till who did have a good cut didn't have the same soddin hair as me - as per the poster, I too have very thick hair! This requires an expert hair cutter and I have failed to find someone good ever since my wonderful stylist emigrated to the USA! I think I am probs now willing to commute to East Surrey for a good stylist so if you Summerbreeze get anyone recommended, I may try them too, even if as a one-off! PS I know "there's more to life than a haircut" etc etc (am going thru a lot at the mo) BUT it makes one feel a bit better looking better.............. :-/

DonaldTrumpsTrump Tue 23-May-17 22:52:23

I'm not helping the actual main question but I was sick to the back teeth of my thick hair so I shaved an undercut in my hair about 3 inches from the base of my head upwards to a straight line. Was a massive weight (literally!) off my shoulders.

Therealslimshady1 Tue 23-May-17 22:55:27

What is your budget?

Summerbreeze1 Wed 24-May-17 00:02:32

Thank you so much for your replies and yes I know in perspective there are much more important things. Good ideas looking st people coming out of salons, so happy to know someone else understands. Happy to pay up to about £45.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-May-17 06:41:10

Look at the hairdressers Instagram & Facebook photos.

AnAirborneFluffyWhiteThing Wed 24-May-17 07:19:31

I have found the Toni and Guy salons quite good over the years. The.y train their hairdressers pretty well.
Not saying they're brilliant, but you'll get someone very well qualified to cut hair.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 24-May-17 07:42:34

I found Toni and Guy near where I live just did whatever they liked regardless of what I asked, and they were expensive.
I now go to a great hairdresser whose mantra is 'doing what the customer asks'. I've never been happier with my hair (and I'm 63!)

paulapantsdown Wed 24-May-17 08:02:49

I've been going to fancy salons for years and have never really been 100% happy.

Am totally skint now and just had a cut last week at one of those express, no appt, super cuts type places.

Cost £20 and is the best cut I have had in years.

Summerbreeze1 Wed 24-May-17 18:24:37

Hmm thinking it doesn't matter what the actual salon is like but just need to find a talented individual hairdresser. I had one a few years ago who was amazing but left to have a baby and not sure where she is now (have tried searching online etc). There are some fab hairdressers out there, just need to find one...

DarthMaiden Wed 24-May-17 18:40:10

I have very thick, long hair. It has a natural wave to it, but isn't curly.

I'm not near you, but I have been to Toni and Guy locally for years and never had a bad experience.

They do my colour also in a way a love.

That said, I'm very specific about what I want. I take pictures of my hair when it looks great and say - this is what I'm after.

The last cut I had I loved and again took a picture in the salon, so I could say - like this please! For next time.

My suggestion therefore is to articulate very clearly what your desired end result is - ideally using photos of yourself when your hair was at its best. Pictures of people with different hair types just isn't going to translate as well.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 24-May-17 18:43:30

In my experience, a good stylist will do a brief consultation for free and really examine your hair. I've had about 6 hairdressers over the last few years and the 2 best did that

Crabcanon Wed 24-May-17 19:13:12

It's so hard. Mine is hit and miss. Sometimes she does a brilliant cut and at other times I can't do a thing with it. Trying to decided whether to give her one last go before trying to find someone new. As SummerBreeze says, it seems to be about finding a good stylist rather than a good company. Soooo hard though.

MikeUniformMike Wed 24-May-17 19:15:05

SummerBreeze1, I recommend Roni in Staines. Probably a bit of a hike from East Surrey but he is brilliant.
www.ronihair.co.uk/
He cuts my hair in a way that makes it behave, and when I wash it I just comb it and it falls into place.

MikeUniformMike Wed 24-May-17 19:22:26

I had a terrible cut in Toni & Guy and would never go there again.

PonderLand Wed 24-May-17 20:17:57

I have thick & wavy hair. I had about 8-10 inches cut off and had a natural balayage done! I feel so much better since I had it. I did a thread about it a few weeks ago. I found the salon through reviews on google, once I found a good one I went on the Facebook page of the salon and checked out the photos and usually they'll say something like 'coloured by ..... & styled by .....'

I then booked in for a free consultation and showed pictures of what I wanted to make sure my hair could achieve that cut and it would suit my face. I requested the stylist and colourist I wanted. It was a few weeks wait but worth it for someone I knew would do a good job.

I've found when I just go to the village salon they give me the basic cut that they give every other person. No thought goes into the styling after and they are hesitant to give honest opinions. 'That shape wouldn't suit your face, that colour wouldn't work' etc etc.

I'm in Leeds or I'd recommend the place I used!

TheWorldHasGoneToCake Wed 24-May-17 20:59:32

I'm in Berks but have a good one for about £50 if you'd like me to PM you recommendation. I have lots of hair and it's wavy.

BlondeGinger Wed 24-May-17 21:08:40

http://www.browns-hair.co.uk
That's where I get mine done. Not sure if you're able to travel to any of their salons but they're brilliant. Best cut and colour I've ever had.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Wed 24-May-17 21:30:31

Like the poster above I woudl go in recommendation. I've had he same problem as you, regarding shit haircuts for several years. i eventually found one throug a friend who has someone coming to her house. I've been twice now and I can't believ the difference it's made.

Ask friends, ask strangers, who have nice hair and ask on local pages on here maybe too.

wowfudge Wed 24-May-17 22:09:12

I have really thick, slightly wavy hair and wear it short. My hairdresser - and in fact the three best hairdressers I've ever gone to - all cut my hair with a razor and never used bloody thinning scissors on it.

The best hairdresser I ever went to had very similar hair to mine although she had hers longer and made more of the natural wave.

Might be worth trawling the Facebook sites of hairdressers to see what their work is like.

Summerbreeze1 Wed 24-May-17 22:53:51

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice. The salons recommended sound great but a bit far away (I'm in Godstone) glad to know other people have similar hair to me though 😃

TheWorldHasGoneToCake Thu 25-May-17 06:15:17

Hmm 38 miles to me...bit of a trek for a hair cut grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now