Talk

Advanced search

What are you wearing to the office this summer?

(13 Posts)
FedglingFTB Tue 23-May-17 21:18:33

I don't have a 'summer wardrobe' let alone a summer work one, in a bid to avoid 100 denier tights in August I've invested in a pair tailored culottes and a simple maxi skirt. Now I don't have a clue what to wear with them?

Everything in the shops seem to be armless, creasey, man made sweat-fests. Or plain tees - which i'd look like a right slob in.

How do people stay smart in summer!?

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 12:07:06

I am very boring:
in winter I wear a longsleeved tailored shirt, merino vneck or cardi, trous and brogues or short skirt/tights/boots
In summer I wear a short sleeved tailored shirt, vneck or cardi, a-line skirt and closed-toe flats OR if it's roasting a cotton shirt-dress and flats

It's practically school uniform but it suits both me and the office. Does need ironing though.

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 12:11:27

... so what I meant to helpfully suggest was how about a sleeveless blouse? Uniqlo do some good colours for people less boring than me wink

MaybeDoctor Wed 24-May-17 12:24:29

I am the queen of the summer dress - but I do have quite a casual office.

In the intermittent funny weather that doesn't quite know what it is doing I wear smart jeans and a colour-coordinated top and cardigan.

MinesaPinot Wed 24-May-17 13:13:34

I work for a legal firm in London. Office is fairly relaxed to a point.

For summer I have got several dresses - short sleeved/sleeveless which I throw on with a short cardi or jacket depending on the weather. Simple lines, usually A-line, and easy to wear. Have got flats to travel in, and usually leave a pair of neutral heels/wedges in work to change into. Most of my dresses come from Cos or Uniqlo, although am sat in work at present wearing a navy/cream striped dress from Seasalt with rose gold ballet pumps from Primark. I've also just bought a culotte jumpsuit from Uniqlo.

I would look for a crisp sleeveless shirt to go with your culottes/skirt, tucked with with a nice belt perhaps? And flats or wedges.

I remember reading an article about Australian women working in offices etc in the summer, and it emphasised remaining smart, but keeping armpits and feet cool. That's what I aspire to.....

FedglingFTB Wed 24-May-17 21:03:42

Oooh, a uniform, that's exactly what I want Badger. I like the look of shirts... on other people. I'm broad in the shoulders and find I feel quite masculine in them, also when tucked in it feels bulky also averse to ironing.

I'll have a look at Uniqlo, I bought a lovely jumpsuit, but it was too short in the body for me 😢

FedglingFTB Wed 24-May-17 21:08:46

Oh Minesa smart summer shoes, that's a whole separate dilemma. I hate getting my feet out, so sandals are a no-no. Not sure I can face another summer of sweaty ballet pumpsconfused

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 21:11:31

I buy really fitted ones, unbutton as far as decent and don't tuck them in.
Personally I do dress in quite a mannish tailored way rather than soft or flowing or frilly but I like to think it's a look rather than boringness personified. And it all fits - none of this 'boyfriend' stuff. I like to think it has a slightly 40s or 50s vibe [wishful thinking].
It does mean everything goes with everything else though.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 24-May-17 21:12:25

I am struggling with this this week. I am a big fan of culottes/wide legged trews, but think they need something tucked in, or sitting just on the waist, otherwise you can look like a triangle. Most of my tops are long-sleeved blouses (and they can look bulky tucked in) or t-shirts which are a bit too casual. (I also mainly wear those bottoms with trainers.) I have quite a lot of midi-dresses, but feel like it's not quite warm enough for proper summer frocks yet. No advice, just empathising!

Etymology23 Wed 24-May-17 21:15:11

I wear lots of phase 8 (occasionally m and s or Laura Ashley) summer dresses with a cardi, jacket or jumper that I can discard if it's too warm.

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 21:15:16

(I bought these to hide less-than-perfect toenails while still allowing airflow)

Fernanie Wed 24-May-17 21:17:12

Not sure I can face another summer of sweaty ballet pumps
You might already be doing this, but if you're not, get some of these or similar: www.wolfordshop.co.uk/hosiery/socks/cotton-footsies-socks/41531.html?dwvar_41531_color=7005
They make a huge difference to the sweat factor!

FedglingFTB Wed 24-May-17 21:25:01

Ah, you're one of those chic yet understated dressers Badger envy. I'm crap at putting stuff together, bloody magpie. I'll come back with a gaudy print and a pair of wellies because they we're a bargain (in summer) and then wonder why I look like Worsel Gummidge.

I do have those Fern from M&S, they have gel to keep them in place. Couldn't get on with the elasticated ones, I once managed to catapult one across the office from my foot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now