Talk

Advanced search

What do men wear to wedding receptions?

(19 Posts)
YourFelineFriend Tue 23-May-17 14:25:20

Sorry if this is a totally stupid question but we've never been to a wedding reception before and DH is a stressing over what to wear. I'm assuming a shirt and trousers? Can anyone recommend any nice ones? He is 28.

Closetlibrarian Tue 23-May-17 16:44:35

Depends on the wedding. Usually it'll say on the invitation. Sometimes it's morning suit, but at most weddings I've been to the men are in suits.

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-17 16:45:39

Are you going to the ceremony too?

MrsPear Tue 23-May-17 17:50:19

I would say it depends on the people who have done the invite! But as a minimum it would be a lounge suit if you are going to the ceremony and tailored trousers and suit shirt tucked in if just evening party. Double check with hosts! If they are really posh it seems to be morning suits for the day bit and black tie for evening bit ie you have to change.

If you able to afford to I would see this an op for your partner to invest in a properly measured for suit. A classic cut and it will be there for a lifetime. You always update the accessories and shirt. H is a builder and done this - he can attend at a moments notice and I have more money for my own outfit wink

ScarlettFreestone Tue 23-May-17 17:51:22

A suit.

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Tue 23-May-17 17:53:01

If it's only the evening do, shirt & trousers. If it's the ceremony & day as well, definitely a suit & tie.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 23-May-17 18:32:04

If it's just the reception OP, some suit / formal trousers and a collared shirt. Is your husband's brother or similarly aged friend going along too? Perhaps he can see what they're wearing. Or look at photos on social media from any weddings of people in the same friendship group or family as the bride and groom?

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 19:17:43

Ceremony and or daytime reception - suit and tie.

Evening do - smart shirt, trousers and jacket.

RedMetamorphosis Tue 23-May-17 19:24:13

I'm a similar age and all my male friends at weddings seem to wear navy suits and brown shoes/belt.

DH has a gorgeous one from Massimo Dutti that they tailored to him. Not crazy expensive either.

MaQueen Tue 23-May-17 19:38:53

Suit and tie if invited to the ceremony.

Smart trousers, nice shirt, nice shoes if it's just for the evening reception.

Crumbs1 Tue 23-May-17 19:56:14

Usually morning dress, uniform or tartan.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 20:15:51

That's very formal, Crumbs. I'd say that at 95% of weddings male guests would be fine in lounge suits.

Crumbs1 Tue 23-May-17 20:42:07

Maybe I'm showing my age!

YourFelineFriend Wed 24-May-17 06:56:27

It's DHs work colleague s wedding. We are just invited to the evening. I've asked DH what they are like/what type of wedding it is and he 'doesnt know'. Great help! I don't really know as I've never met them. Sorry I know I sound totally stupid here but what is a lounge suit? Could someone post a picture please? Thanks for all the help so far. Looking up wedding pictures on Facebook is a good idea.

Dailystuck71 Wed 24-May-17 07:02:10

DH wears his kilt and depending on location or style various shirt and jacket styles that he has.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Wed 24-May-17 08:21:50

A lounge suit is a normal business suit.

If you're just going to the evening do then he'll be fine in smart trousers, smart shirt and possibly a jacket.

WomblingThree Wed 24-May-17 08:35:44

Just the evening, I see no reason no to wear jeans. If you are only invited to the evening do, it's just like any other party really.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 24-May-17 10:35:01

We're in Scotland, so a full day wedding would be kilt for my DP - an evening do just "dress trousers" and a shirt and tie, or a suit. (Basically what most men would wear to a smart office job, tbh.)

ScarlettFreestone Wed 24-May-17 12:35:19

I've been to many many weddings over the years, of all different types and I have never seen a guest in jeans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now