Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a hyaluronic serum

(28 Posts)
CuddleAttack Tue 23-May-17 13:33:36

Luffs me a hyularonic serum, but have yet to find one that is just perfect.

Am using Absolution Serum Anti-Soif just now, which is lovely, but a bit lemony. Used to use Apivita Hydration Serum with Aloe, but it's discontinued (manage to buy it off eBay/Amazon sometimes, but that's only going to last so long).

Hyalamide doesn't agree with me unfortunately. Also needto avoid sweet almond oil and shea/cocoa butter as they make me break out.

Prefer the natural/organic end of the market, and I stick with cruelty free. Looking in the £20-30 range, but I would stretch to £50 for the fountain of youth.

NutButterNutter Tue 23-May-17 13:42:55

Oooooo try The Ordinary- they have some amaaaaazing stuff that actually works and is so cheap! They have won loads of awards of late, and they're well-deserved.

CuddleAttack Tue 23-May-17 14:07:47

Thanks, have heard really great things about the Ordinary. I now avoid the Deciem stable though as I've had a bad reaction to Hylamide and NIOD products in the past.

Such a shame, as so many people rave about the Ordinary that part of me would really love to try them. Polyacrylate crosspolymers not for me though (suspect they are the culprits).

Nabootique Tue 23-May-17 16:43:36

I know the Apivita serum you speak of. They used to have it in M&S. You can still get it, it's just been rebranded, although M&S don't stock them now:

www.apivita.com/uk/face-care/serums/intense-moisturizing-revitalizing-serum

OCSockOrphanage Tue 23-May-17 17:20:05

Sorry to hear that the Hylamide doesn't suit. I was just about to recommend it. Before that, I used the Bioderma Hydrabio Serum, which I also like, but my DSis (whose skin is more sensitive) didn't. She sticks to Clinique's Moisture Surge equivalent.

GladitsFfriday Tue 23-May-17 17:27:57

I was given this one as a present. I love it. I use it every evening and am now on my third bottle.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015D7BMN8/ref=mpsa12?ie=UTF8&qid=1495556728&sr=1-2&m=AAPYHULIOB3N4&pi=ACSX236SY340_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=51PLbGgfmKL&ref=plSrchh_

RhythmAndStealth Tue 23-May-17 18:08:38

Thanks Nabootique (fab name by the way) - I've got that one. It's quite a lot thinner than it's predecessor. It makes me nostalgic for the old one 😥 Been trying to stick with it though in case it grows on me.

Sadly OC neither Bioderma nor Clinique are cruelty free.

Ooh, that looks interesting Glad. Nice price too. Ingredient list looks promising- Organic apricot oil (prunus armeniaca), organic marula kernel oil (sclerocarya birrea), crambe seed oil, hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate), fragrance.

How do you find it for "plumping" the skin? I'm looking for a serum I can "layer/sandwich" (serum, mist, cream, oil) to trap in the hydration. Does this do that? Bit worried about the high oil content.

Or would I use this as a top layer over e.g. a hydrating mist/gel maybe...looks like an interesting brand though. They've got an aloe serum which looks good, maybe they could be used together? I like my other existing products though-Dr Alkaitis Soothing Gel, Lily Lolo day cream, own blend facial oil (rose hip, jojoba, rose absolute and carrot seed oil).

Thank you! Any more suggestions?

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 19:19:07

NC fail OP?

I rate Eucerin Hyaluron Filler Concentrate.

Shop Tue 23-May-17 20:30:02

The Hero Project Hyasoft is lovely 😊

RhythmAndStealth Tue 23-May-17 22:33:21

Oops yes Angelica, perhaps not so stealthy after all...unfortunately Eucerin test on animals so that's out- thanks anyway though.

Hadn't ever heard of them before Shop, interesting. The crosspolymer acrylates on the ingredients list make me hesistant...

Hmm, any natural beauty gurus out there? Hear my pleas please...

GladitsFfriday Tue 23-May-17 22:45:21

I have found the Obvious naturals serum good for plumping. It is though more of an oil that a serum texture, but it is a light oil. I use it after cleansing each night and don't normally use a moisturiser as well.

RenardeRenarde Tue 23-May-17 22:49:43

Have you tried Bravuras? No pointless "extras" and cruelty free smile

RenardeRenarde Tue 23-May-17 22:54:10

Meant to say I haven't tried it (I will when my current hada labo is used up) but I adore their moisturiser and salicylic acid, neither of which aggravate my sensitive skin or rosacea.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 23:01:37

Really, OP? Beiersdorf always used to be cruelty-free.

RhythmAndStealth Tue 23-May-17 23:28:09

Here's my source Angelica, I googled it after your post. Not sure what the story is...Could it be the China thing? That has ruled out a lot of brands I used to be fine with. Or maybe they were bought by a parent co that tests? Do find Cruelty Free Kitty to be reliable.

Ooh, that's a good idea Renarde. I like their Salicylic Acid, used some today in fact. Would have to proceed carefully as DH is allergic to soy, it that could apply to anything hyaluronic. I intend to try this one by Lue - it's similarly no frills and a very decent price. I tried the Pestle and Mortar one in the past, and wasn't blown away by it for the price, but these are a much more reasonable price point.

To be honest, I do intend to give a few things a try over the next few months...I've got a couple of no frills options to include, any ideas for something a bit fancier as well?

RhythmAndStealth Tue 23-May-17 23:29:48

That's interesting Glad, thanks for telling me that. It could be a good night option for me then, as I keep things quite simple at night.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 23:44:18

I think you might be right, OP - this blog suggests as much. It looks like Beiersdorf do not conduct animal testing themselves but third party companies test their products for the Chinese market.

RhythmAndStealth Tue 23-May-17 23:53:47

I hate it when companies do that kind of thing Angelica.

Housewife2010 Wed 24-May-17 06:02:18

I love Evolve Hyaluronic Serum. It feels slightly more viscous than Niod and suits my skin very well.

INXS Wed 24-May-17 09:15:25

Watching with interest - I didn't realise Eucerin test on animals. Must change my product.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Wed 24-May-17 09:37:38

Well, to be pedantic, they don't - but by law any product sold in China must be tested on animals so their products are tested there. This applies to literally any product which is available in China. It's why the Body Shop pulled completely out of the Chinese market a few years ago.

RhythmAndStealth Wed 24-May-17 11:49:12

Products made by Chinese companies don't have to test Angelica, it changed recently. Non tested products can also be sent into China by mail order. And products can be sold in HongKong without being tested (and I think, shipped into mainland China from there).

No company was forced to sell in China. There has been a lot of fancy footwork round wording "We don't test our products on animals" or "We only test when required by law" when what companies mean is "Someone else tests for us and we pay them" or "We chose to expand into a market that requires testing".

There are so many firms who try to continue to give the impression that they are cruelty-free, who chose to sell in China and test to do so. They just want to have their cake and eat it.

RhythmAndStealth Wed 24-May-17 12:01:10

Ooh, Housewife, that one looks amazing! Bingo. It's got rosewater and aloe too, two of my absolute favourites! Great price as well. And an award winner. Amazing. Thank you. Feel like I've struck gold. There's a lot on their site looks interesting. There's an African orange body wash I think that DH would like.

So now I've got a couple of no frills serums to try, and the Evolve one. Also pencilled in this Green Energy one I spotted a while back, as I like their sunscreens.

Any more suggestions?

By the way INXS, good for you and good luck with the switch.

Nabootique Wed 24-May-17 12:07:10

Ahh, I'm sorry to hear that OP. I thought the ingredients were the same. I am just about finishing off the original one and was thinking about repurchasing. I love their cream gel moisturiser as well. I hope they haven't tinkered with the formula on that.

RhythmAndStealth Wed 24-May-17 12:07:11

They even do a small size Housewife so I can try without buying a big bottle. And they've got a hydrating mist sample too. And a sample size of the body was DH might like. I've gone to heaven. Thank you. Mwah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now