Talk

Advanced search

Do you think this is attractive?

(70 Posts)
friendlyflicka Mon 22-May-17 20:17:30

I don't mean the model, I just mean the pose and the clothes. This is just a standard photo on the Cos web site.

I think the way the model is posing and the clothes themselves are incredibly unflattering and unaesthetic, but I wonder if it is because I am 50 and things have changed.

When I was looking at clothes on Selfridges web site, I just thought some of the clothes were just styled so unpleasingly. Coats tied up at an unflattering level and models standing in an unstylish pose, but I am quite willing to accept that I am old and times move on....

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Mon 22-May-17 20:23:30

That outfit looks horrendous on the model so God knows what it would look like IRL

Laquila Mon 22-May-17 20:25:23

I thought exactly the same whilst browsing Cos the other night, and it's one of the reasons that I never end up buying anything from them!

I'm not sure who their target market is really - "androgynous underweight greasy-haired tall people" is quite niche.

friendlyflicka Mon 22-May-17 20:27:46

Loads of marketing photos do seem to be like that - Toast, Brora, are the two I have recently looked at. Toast has been doing these poses for years and obviously makes a lot of money

Rockaby Mon 22-May-17 20:27:48

I've never set foot in Cos, but I hear that their website doesn't do the clothes justice.

Rockaby Mon 22-May-17 20:28:33

But in answer to your question, no, I think the outfit and the styling is boak.

Asmoto Mon 22-May-17 20:29:06

The top looks like something a surgeon might wear in theatre grin

Laquila Mon 22-May-17 20:29:30

You're right, OP - Toast is the big daddy of this kind of thing, but I think they're much better at selling the dream. Flicking through the Toast catalogue always makes me want to give and live in a Scandinavian wood and read poetry whilst dressed in velvet. Cos just makes me a bit depressed.

Laquila Mon 22-May-17 20:30:58

Not looked at Brora in years but just had a squiz...all gone a bit Cotton Traders, if you ask me

AddToBasket Mon 22-May-17 20:31:52

I agree.

Toast makes me feel like connecting more. Cos makes me feel a bit hospitalised.

Funnyonion17 Mon 22-May-17 20:31:57

The top teamed with nice flattering fitted skinny jeans and nice shoes with great accessories could work.

Them bottoms are just bloody horrific, but together ewww

IndianaMoleWoman Mon 22-May-17 20:34:33

I have a theory that a lot of fashion is about showing off what hideous clothes you can get away with and still appear thin and beautiful. So many high fashion items/make up looks look dreadful on an "average" woman but young, attractive celebrities can get away with them; it's the equivalent of saying "hey, I'm so gorgeous I can wear this monstrosity and still look skinny and beautiful!"

I would look like a sack of spuds in that outfit, but despite how awful it is, you can still tell that the model is young, beautiful and thin.

friendlyflicka Mon 22-May-17 20:46:17

Thank you all. Was really genuinely feeling very confused.

IndianaMoleWoman That is such a good theory that makes a lot of sense.

monkeyfacegrace Mon 22-May-17 20:48:18

Stick on a beard and it would look like fucking Jesus.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 22-May-17 20:51:24

No. Its ghastly. No wonder she looks so fucking miserable.

FunkinEll Mon 22-May-17 21:22:26

I quite like it blush.

I quite like the move from more fitted clothes that are appearing in more places. I think fitted clothes have been the norm for such a long time that it takes a while for that to normalise. It's like women don't need to be pretty any longer and it's ok to wear a white t-shirt and loose-ish jeans.

Rockaby Mon 22-May-17 21:31:17

White t-shirt and loose-ish jeans - great! I am wearing a black t-shirt and loose black trousers as we speak.

It's definitely not the loose fitting clothes or deliberate unprettiness I object to. It's just totally devoid of anything. There are other shops which do this look a lot better. This is almost clinical looking to me.

taybert Mon 22-May-17 21:35:06

But Remus, that's the beauty of Cos, you almost always look better than the model!
It's hard work though.

friendlyflicka Mon 22-May-17 21:40:10

Are the fabrics good quality in Cos? I like some of the dresses but can't tell how nice the cotton would be.

Me? I don't think I said anything, did I? grin

It looks like an, 'I'm only nipping up the road to the shop' outfit. Not terribly flattering but I've seen a lot worse.

FunkinEll Mon 22-May-17 21:46:37

It's good quality, nice and thick but I find it creases quite a bit.

Sukitakeitoff Mon 22-May-17 21:50:45

I've never bought anything from Cos. The glum slumped models wearing clothes two sizes too big do nothing for me whatsoever.

taybert Mon 22-May-17 21:50:51

Oops blush it was Reluctantly. I obviously didn't bother to read past the first couple of letters...

"Stick on a beard and it would look like fucking Jesus." - My favourite line on here for a long time! grin

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 22-May-17 21:56:33

I like it. Simple and clean lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now