Talk

Advanced search

Birkenstocks - sizing, style, views?

(39 Posts)
hecallsmebunny Mon 22-May-17 14:21:07

I really like these but can't decide between blue and orange - fancying something bright this summer and thinking the blue will probably be best.

Anyway, I've never had Birkenstocks before but have heard good things about their comfort. Anyone had this style and if so, do you love them?! Have also read that Birkenstocks sizing is on the big side - is this true? I'd say I'm a 5.5 so usually end up having to buy a 6 and tolerating things being slightly big...though sometimes 6 is perfect. Can be ok in a 5 in a sandal depending on the brand. Any advice welcome!

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Mon 22-May-17 14:23:03

I have Arizona but in a navy blue. They are very comfortable I would size down to the 5. You may find depending on how wide your feet are you may even need smaller.

Bluntness100 Mon 22-May-17 14:29:42

Honestly I think they are really fugly. They do come up big, I'd go down to a five at least if you really must buy them. hmm

Daffydil Mon 22-May-17 14:33:31

I like papillio gizehs.

footshopping.com/papillio/?p=1

CaulkheadUpNorf Mon 22-May-17 14:38:18

I have them, and think they suit some people and some outfits. They are comfortable but you have to get past the point when they rub.
I don't think I will get another pair this summer, but they work with some things I have. There are better things out there

hecallsmebunny Mon 22-May-17 14:41:04

Thanks, Unicorn. That's really helpful.

Bluntness, thanks for your opinion. I still like them though grin How boring the world would be if we all liked the same things...

hecallsmebunny Mon 22-May-17 14:48:38

Caulkhead thank you too. I am potentially open to suggestions - I just want something a bit funky/different...

Out2pasture Mon 22-May-17 14:58:58

Sadly for me the toe ridge and arch don't match up with my foot shape. Even though I like them I can't wear them.

mrsmildred Mon 22-May-17 15:42:39

NO! Don't size down in that particular style. If you look at the footprint logo on the insole, it is part of their narrow range and as such is true to size (IMO).

For regular fit styles, however, yes they come up big so size down. Bear in mind though you are supposed to have room around your foot. Nothing worse that seeming someone with their toes over the edge or heel wearing the back down because they are small. Must be uncomfortable too.

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 22-May-17 16:48:07

yes yes yes, i was a late converter to the birk! resisted for yrs due to trendiness then gave in when i tried them on.
Very very comfy, my feet are awkward and tend to loathe all shoes but they are so happy in these.
I am a small uk3 and the 3 fit perfectly.

One drawback is it says don't get wet so due to british summertime weather fluctuations they don't get worn enough!

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 22-May-17 16:48:45

i have the black arizona style and want a white pair now.

hecallsmebunny Wed 24-May-17 15:13:55

As a follow up, does anyone have the moulded ones (Arizona EVA) and are they comfortable?

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Wed 24-May-17 15:22:21

There's a 20% discount on Birkis bought from either Birkenstock.co.uk (site closing down) or thenaturalshoestore.com (new site) if you use the code BIRK-SS17-20 on either site before 31/05.

I find the Gizehs which are my Birk of choice in a 41 are perfect, although in most other shoes I'm a 42.

hecallsmebunny Wed 24-May-17 15:25:23

Wow thanks Monty, that makes a decision easier!

FANTASTIC username by the way grin

howabout Wed 24-May-17 15:35:49

I love mine. I have narrow feet and am between sizes and don't size down. They work better if you have room for your foot to "mould" the footbed to you.

Mine are ancient and get worn nearly every day when I am around and about home - great investment and very comfy.

hecallsmebunny Wed 24-May-17 15:50:35

Thanks howabout

Monty unfortunately lots already out of stock on the old site and not much choice in terms of colour on the new one...

hecallsmebunny Wed 24-May-17 16:12:28

Ok got a pair of Arizonas (in patent neon blue grin) on shoestore with 10% off so £10 cheaper than official Birk site (as they were £5 cheaper anyway) with code BIRK10 in case anyone is interested!

Thanks for all the advice to aid my purchase!

Piffpaffpoff Wed 24-May-17 17:08:33

I love this style. Off to hunt for some....

stripeknee Wed 24-May-17 22:42:32

what size is 6 in birks eu 39 or 40 ?

LaBuenaVida Wed 24-May-17 22:44:29

My friend got married in pink Birkenstocks - she looked fabulous!

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 25-May-17 00:04:41

I buy patent madrids every couple of years and wear them until they fall apart. I'm a 6/6.5 and I buy a 6 in birks.

I find they need breaking in but they are very comfortable after that.

IMO you need some foot care as they show everything!

Glitteryfrog Thu 25-May-17 00:33:28

One drawback is it says don't get wet so due to british summertime weather fluctuations they don't get worn enough!

What??
I've worn mine sea kayaking, pottering along the beach, when I've been caught in the rain etc.

I ❤️ for warm weather sightseeing, so comfortable.

BeaLola Thu 25-May-17 00:36:12

I buy the madrids - have about 8 pairs - each year I wear them in - first couple of days 1-2 hours and after that can go all day and night in them. My really old ones have been in the washing machine for clean ups !

That style you link to wouldn't fit me as the second band would rub on my foot. But I like them. I wear a 39 unless buying the imported ones in TK maxx and then I'm a 40. In normal shoes I'm a 61/2.

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Sat 27-May-17 21:25:22

You can definitely clean Birkis - washing machine is one way, or my preferred one (I do get them REALLY disgusting with shiny foot imprints) is:

1. Run under warm tap till suede is wet
2. Spray with Vanish laundry spray and leave to fizz slightly for a few minutes
3. Scrub vigorously (I use a sonic scrubber) until the grot has abated
4. Rinse a LOT more than you think necessary under tepid tap
5. Blot as much as possible with kitchen paper
6. Leave in the sun to dry
7.Brush up soles with suede brush

I reckon you can do this about 5 times per pair before they are wrecked, but YMMV.

MikeUniformMike Sat 27-May-17 21:33:59

I sized down by a whole size after trying them on in a shop. I love them for holidays instead of flip flops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now