Talk

Advanced search

If you wear a lot of black, what do you wear in summer?

(57 Posts)
LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 16:22:48

I'm going to a really hot country on holiday and I have no idea how to dress 'summery'. I'm normally in skinny jeans, leather jacket, boots etc. I'm thinking denim skirt, vest top etc but that seems a bit boring confused

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 21-May-17 16:25:22

I usually go for sort of gypsy style dresses or skirts. Or rockabilly dresses.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 16:27:32

I do like the Rockabilly look, I haven't really tried it myself yet but will have a look thanks.

KungFuEric Sun 21-May-17 16:30:27

Black still in this country.

I know some people go nuts with the florals and pinks abroad, or maybe just keep it to a neutral colour tones? Khaki or denim shorts, vest tops in black, grey, khaki, white, camel.

Black/tan sandals.

Think along the lines of a capsule wardrobe, so maxi skirts can be worn with the vest tops as can the shorts.

Where will you be going? What will you be doing?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 16:36:39

I think you might have a point kungfu, I'm assuming I need to brighten myself up but I could be overthinking it. Going to Greece and will be sight seeing and eating out, nothing too adventurous.smile

KungFuEric Sun 21-May-17 16:38:56

I'm not sure if you saw the pictures attached but I think they would all be comfortable things to wear in the heat.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 16:43:47

Yes I see them thanks, they are pretty much my style, a capsule is a good idea.

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 21-May-17 16:44:18

More black! Billabong has summer clothes in a funereal palate.
In the U.K. Cropped trousers. Just bought an amazing pair in wallis

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 21-May-17 16:44:58

Also I've been wearing some all saints black denim shorts to death - all saints also very black palate

Erm... a lot of black!

In Greece, I'd generally go monochrome - black shorts, black cotton sundresses, maybe vaguely boho, perhaps a bright cotton dress or two.

AnnaNimmity Sun 21-May-17 16:48:24

I just wear lots of sundresses - many are black but also white, navy, cobalt

Also have skirts for this country - denim or midi usually with vest tops

AwkwardSquad Sun 21-May-17 16:48:52

Um, thinner black or grey clothes. The occasional white linen shirt. Jeans. Linen dresses.

I hate summer dressing. I don't like uncovering my legs.

usefultoken Sun 21-May-17 16:50:09

I think black can look nice is summer but you could go for grey as well? I think most important in the heat is to stick to cotton/linen type fabrics.

angof Sun 21-May-17 16:54:12

Any suggestions for where to get plain black/ grey summer dresses in natural fibres greatfully received!!

quirkychick Sun 21-May-17 16:54:33

Ooh, KungFuEric nice pics! I don't really do the bright and floral thing either.

I don't wear as much black as I used to but would wear quite a bit of neutrals: grey, blues, white. You could always add interest with accessories to your capsule if you need to. Warm today and I am in dark blue boyfriend jeans, charcoal thin tee, grey sandals and sunhat with blue aviator glasses.

theclick Sun 21-May-17 16:55:31

Floral prints and peasant blouses
I get hot easily so need it

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 16:55:48

grin Black it is then! I've got some nice khaki and grey dresses I could take. I like the monochrome idea too.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-May-17 16:56:23

Navy.

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Sun 21-May-17 16:58:07

I still wear plenty of black but mixed in with denim, khaki, white and grey. Love Next or Hush jersey harems, longer denim shorts (horrible legs!) loose linen t-shirts (Primark last year, yet to find any so far this year), white broderie shirts or shell tops are cool and pretty, denim jacket or loose longline cardi (H&M are good for these) over the top and live in my grey Havaianas from now till Autumn.

christinarossetti Sun 21-May-17 17:01:19

If you're sightseeing/eating out then definitely darkish colours. Whites always look filthy within an hour in the city.

I wear black, denim, grey, dark blue, brown. Maybe taupe if I'm feeling adventurous.

MakeItStopNeville Sun 21-May-17 17:02:38

It's hot here today and I'm wearing pretty much the exact same outfit as Kungfu's first photo, although my shorts are slightly longer, my body is heavier and my start of summer skin is about 50 shades paler!

wickedfairy Sun 21-May-17 17:12:56

Those pictures are lovely, especially the first one. However, the women all have lovely tanned/olive/dark skin.

Would this look be ok for someone incredibly white? I am and it's a shame, because I'd probably just look like a corpse if I got my skin out... what do you think?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 17:14:15

You lot are fantastic, I've went from having no ideas too wanting to buy loads.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 21-May-17 17:14:39

*to

quirkychick Sun 21-May-17 18:13:36

wickedfairy I am very pale, so khaki/olive sadly not great on me, so I would wear greys, smoky blues/navy or even smoky violets. Quite pricy but Wrap London do lots of these colours in natural fabrics. They do have good sales, though. Hush too, they do cropped harems too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now