Talk

Advanced search

COS shirt issue: WWYD?

(13 Posts)
AFierceBadRabbit Sat 20-May-17 21:03:11

Can anyone help me or advise?

I have a lovely pale blue shirt from COS, purchased early this year. It is 75% cotton/20%polydamide/5%elastane.

Worn once then half way through day wanted to freshen it up and iron it - did so on low setting and a lot of inky dark blue stains have appeared as if by magic all over the shirt. It seemed to get worse when iron was touching edges of ironing board, as if a 'releif' was coming through - except my iron is pristine, clean and my board is white confused

I imagine this can only have come from 'within' the fabric of the shirt itself.
I check instructions, just says you can iron it, no specifics.

I tested on another blue oxford shirt and few white tees, no issues whatsoever with my iron or ironing board.

Would you take it back to store and ask their advice?
It cost me a lot of money and I adore it.
So pissed off sad

AFierceBadRabbit Sat 20-May-17 21:05:09

This is the shirt
www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Shirts/Grosgrain_collar_shirt/10898847-48821990.1#c-24479

CrispyBathTowel Sat 20-May-17 21:47:59

Yes, I'd take it back. The worst they can do is refuse an exchange or refund so no harm in trying. It does seem weird that the shirt would do that.

imjessie Sun 21-May-17 19:18:41

Have you cleaned your washing machine lately ? This can happen when they machine has mould in it . It will look sort of grey though rather than inky .

AFierceBadRabbit Sun 21-May-17 19:36:14

thanks for the advice.

It hasn't yet been washed. It was the first time I wore it and had decided to iron it (as it got a bit crumpled at the back) before popping it on again that evening. So basically brand new.

Since tried applying vanish soap to stains, they won't budge.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 21-May-17 19:37:41

How annoying. Definitely take it back and talk to them.

mrsmildred Sun 21-May-17 20:02:51

I find Cos very good with exchanges for this sort of thing. I've taken a couple of things back, one the seam unraveled on first wear, one shrunk after one wash. Both times, they took the replacement item off the shelf and let me exchange it straight away, no request for receipts ( not that you need one for something faulty) or any other stalling tactic or interrogation you get in other shops.

AFierceBadRabbit Sun 21-May-17 20:25:12

Yes, I will definitely take it back, although will have to wait until next visit to closest city. I always get along well with the staff in there, so not too worried.
Sad though as an exchange would be useless if the issue would re-occur.
I would just love to know, technically, what caused it. It is definitely the shirt itself, but how? confused confused confused

neveradullmoment99 Sun 21-May-17 22:28:07

Why dont you try and wash it as per on the label? You have nothing to lose. If it doesnt budge the stains then take it back and say you washed it and the stains came through. You may just save yourself a trip.
Sometimes i find that garment washed things can do this sort of thing. Its almost like the dye is not fixed. I find when i wash something sometimes the dye moves around the fabric and gathers strongly on a certain part making an almost tie dye effect. I know yours happened when you ironed it but it sounds like the heat made the dye release from the material. I would try and wash and see how you get on.

AFierceBadRabbit Sun 21-May-17 22:44:06

That's a really great idea, I will do that - thanks!

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 22-May-17 16:53:20

neveradullmoment99

Update: washed last night at 30 degree and it came out like new! Yippee! Thanks for the advice, for some reason I would not have thought of this. If, when I iron it the damn thing happens again I will take back to store with my sob story.

Thanks againsmile

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 22-May-17 17:24:15

Just ironed on low heat inside out and all is well, so relieved!

neveradullmoment99 Mon 22-May-17 22:06:04

So pleased it worked smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now