We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vintage-y looking red lipstick brands

(22 Posts)
HappyEverIftar Sat 20-May-17 20:42:17

Hi all,

I need your help. I've been a big fan of the 1940s-esque red lipstick look but I just do not know where to find them. Do I go for an actual lipstick, a lipgloss, a crayon or what? Please give me your best tips on where to get started.

My colouring is fair (green eyes, auburn hair) if that helps. Thanks in advance!

cleowasmycat Mon 22-May-17 22:37:00

Ohhh, I want to know this too!!

botemp Mon 22-May-17 22:45:13

Dior 999 (matte), it's a variation of the original red shade they've been selling since the company started (late forties) and it's a good universal red for different skin tones. Think for the proper forties look you'll want a lip liner with it. Try YouTube for proper tutorials.

applepineapple Mon 22-May-17 22:46:52

Look up Lisa Eldridge on YouTube. She has plenty of red lip tutorials so I'm sure you'll find one to suit smile She also makes excellent videos on the history of makeup which are extremely interesting

Swimminguphill Mon 22-May-17 22:50:34

I like Nars 'Arabella' a good matteish lipstick with great pigmentation. The glossy/sheer ones don't give enough colour for me. chantecaille 'tulipe' is wonderfully retro and a coral red that goes well with my fair skin and auburn hair. Have fun!

rhubarbcrumble66 Mon 22-May-17 22:59:16

Possibly something more matte? Mac has a good range of reds - lady danger, ruby woo and Russian red among the most famous, and a range called retro matte. Could be a good place to start.

Swimminguphill Mon 22-May-17 23:05:55

I do find there's a limit to how matte I can go as my lips can look creased (so attractive!) if the lipstick is too drying. I think you want sort of matte with high pigmentation but not too matte...

MoonlightandMusic Mon 22-May-17 23:09:48

Besame do replicas of 1940's colours, and Charlotte Tillbury has a v.good one too (Red Carpet Red).

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 22-May-17 23:11:33

I like the Hema lip balms - they are basically a rip off of the chubby sticks and are proper lipsticks rather than sheer balms despite the name. With a good lip pencil and lipcote to keep it on, it looks good.

LoupGarou Mon 22-May-17 23:11:40

Milani's Amore Lip in Devotion I think would fit the bill. I haven't tried that shade but have others from the range and they are matt but not at all drying, don't fade or bleed and last for hours. If you're in the UK you can get them on Amazon for £8-10.

Fozzleyplum Mon 22-May-17 23:40:38

Have a look at Sleek lipstick, which is available from superdrug. My favourite intense matte red is Vamp, and they do a brighter matte red called Dare.

BusterGonad Tue 23-May-17 18:03:09

Revlon Fire and Ice is actually one of their vintage/original shades. It's lovely too. And cheap imo.

BusterGonad Tue 23-May-17 18:04:14

👀

FrustratedFrugal Tue 23-May-17 19:24:51

Besame, definitely!

Intransige Tue 23-May-17 19:52:33

Nars velvet matte lip pencil in dragon girl.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 23-May-17 20:17:49

YY Revlon. Fire and Ice for a very vintage orangey red. Cherries in the Snow for an incredibly flattering pink red.

BusterGonad Tue 23-May-17 21:15:33

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

LoupGarou Tue 23-May-17 21:17:59

I love old cosmetics posters Buster I printed some off Pinterest and I've got them in my dressing room smile

babybarrister Tue 23-May-17 21:30:44

Yes yes to besame-cosmetics

BusterGonad Wed 24-May-17 05:59:39

Loup I used to have framed vintage Vogue covers on my bedroom wall! Oh I loved them! I love make up and I adore vintage make up and adverts. I love old fashioned skin care too. Cold cream cleansers, Nivea blue, Astral! Sometimes you can't beat the older traditional formulas. grin

Gatekeeper Wed 24-May-17 06:17:09

I love old make up adverts as well...true glamour as opposed to the awful, pretentious stuff or just plain dull stuff nowadays grin

BusterGonad Wed 24-May-17 06:47:25

Gate I must admit I did love the Dior Addict lipstick advert (Tv advert) with Kate Moss about 7 years ago, when she was getting out of the black cab. It made me buy the lipstick and it was a lovely lippy too! grin but, yes, the 50s and 60s is by far my favorite my favorite time for adverts, makeup, clothes and skin care! I hate all this selfie focused shite and HD brows! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now