Talk

Advanced search

Dreading shopping for summer clothes

(10 Posts)
chocolateavocado99 Sat 20-May-17 01:14:39

I live overseas and go home once a year where I usually buy enough clothes to get me through the year. But, I am starting to dread shopping this summer. It seems like all the clothes are hideous, with ruffles and missing backs and not something I would wear. My eyes are still hurting from those denim jeans / chaps and that m&s dress makes me cringe.
Please tell me there are normal clothes out there and I will find what I need. I am a teacher who lives in the tropics (so no polyester) and I wear casual clothes outside of work.
Where can I shop this season? Thank you.

Intransige Sat 20-May-17 06:07:28

If you want to avoid synthetic fabrics, COS is always good. And if there is someone you have have things delivered to prior to your visit, Wrap London is also good for natural fabrics.

chocolateavocado99 Sat 20-May-17 07:41:30

The post is crap here, but I will definitely look into Cos and Wrap London. Thank you

BikeRunSki Sat 20-May-17 07:47:09

Me too OP, although I live in the U.K. This is an interesting thread Here. I don't know how old you area, but I think some of the ideas are pretty universal.

chocolateavocado99 Sat 20-May-17 08:51:51

Thanks, I guess there are many women who feel the same way.
Going to look up the Polish sites mentioned. And may learn to sew grin

thesandwich Sat 20-May-17 08:53:21

Try a personal shopper? Just had a session at John Lewis which was excellent.

Fletcherl Sat 20-May-17 08:56:28

Sea salt looks good for your brief.
Sainsbury's brand Tu can have some gems too.

Floisme Sat 20-May-17 09:04:34

I think there are two things going on: a seasonal trend for ruffles and cutouts which will presumably pass and a dearth of natural fabrics which is deep seated and more troubling.

To take the trends first: I'm not a frilly person in the slightest but I still don't quite get the rage on some threads. I think that's partly because I'm used to having to shop around and rummage and I've been doing it for years so this season doesn't feel any different. Secondly I never buy many summer clothes cos I don't get on with them. And thirdly, I live in a city that may as well be on the moon for all fashion retailers care and maybe this season, it's paying off because the ratio of monstrosity to normal stuff doesn't seem that high.

Anyway for whatever reason, I've tracked down what I want - and not a frill or bare shoulder in sight - at Uniqlo, H&M, Cos, TK Maxx and yes, M&S. My branch has That Dress in the window and they're deservedly getting a kicking but inside it's mostly the same old same old. Autograph, for example has some linen shirts that I like. M&S Collection has cheaper ones but they feel a lot flimsier.

Floisme Sat 20-May-17 09:17:29

Sorry, I was so buy pontificating, I forgot the second point about natural fabrics.That's a much bigger issue and one which we're going to be stuck with long after summer has gone. However everything I've bought for the summer (the stores are listed on my previous post) is either pure cotton or linen.

Other places:
Toast if you can afford it. I'm saving up for their sales.
Gap - I think? I'm still sulking at them for closing my branch so not looked recently.
White Stuff - much derided on here but a fair amount of cotton / linen although not great quality.
John Lewis own label.
Landsend - rarely mentioned on here: not high fashion but decent basics.
Seasalt.
Boden used to be ok for this but now lower grade and mixing more with synthetics.

chocolateavocado99 Sat 20-May-17 10:30:31

I had forgotten about many of these shops. I had a Gap linen shirt for about 4 years before I gave it away and 1 have 2 TU dresses that look great and are 2 years old. I love the clothes in Seasalt. I can see me spending a lot of money there! Feeling much better about my annual shopping spree! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now