Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about hair removal

(10 Posts)
AndieNZ Sat 20-May-17 00:30:08

Hi

I'm a carer for a lady who is half Asian with mild learning difficulties.

She has a lot of coarse facial hair on her upper lip, side burns and chin. She feels very self conscious about it and has been in tears (think there has been a history of bullying due to the facial hair)

A couple of months ago she decided to take the plunge and go down the waxing route. She used to have sessions of IPL but she wanted faster results. After lengthy discussions, I took her to a beautician who is known for being gentle in terms of waxing, but she found it agonising and very traumatic. She cried for hours after and the morning after her face was very, very sore.

Two months on, the hair is growing back with a vengeance and I'd like to help her in finding another method to get rid of the very coarse hair coving quite a large area on her very sensitive face.

A friend mentioned hair removal creams specially for the face but I have been alarmed at some of the reviews for products like Nair that can burn the skin, even choosing the sensitive ones.

Anyone any ideas?

burnishedsilver Sat 20-May-17 00:49:18

I found threading to be less painful than waxing.

WiltingTulip Sat 20-May-17 01:03:29

If her skin is dark ipl is not good for her skin, she'll need laser.
My laser treatment has been amazing. Barely any regrowth after 2 sessions, now I'm pretty hairless.

Maugrim Sat 20-May-17 01:05:52

You can get at home ipl treatment system or facial epilation. Also electrolysis is worth considering?

LegoCaltrops Sat 20-May-17 01:20:27

I found that hair removal cream was very bad on my face. Even cream sold for facial use resulted in open sores / burns which took ages to heal. I pluck now.

Liiinoo Sat 20-May-17 11:00:07

I use this. It is quite painful to start with but it gets easier with time. I do little and often every evening and it keeps things under control.

I would start with a professional thread (if she can bear it), to get things clear and then do this as part of bedtime routine.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DANIPVE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

FieryWill Sat 20-May-17 11:03:44

Doctors for vaniqa. Life changing flowers

momatoes Sat 20-May-17 11:57:46

I'm of Asian origin and had dark coarse hair on my upper lip, chin and sideburns as you've described. I had laser and after my first session most of the coarse hair never grew back again. I ended up having quite a few sessions to get rid of all hair but it was worth it for me. It's similar pain wise to threading but for me the results have been amazing. I couldn't do threading as it causes me to get spots all over. I'd always recommend laser even if it's just to get rid of the coarse hair.

Libitina Sat 20-May-17 12:00:10

GP should be the first port of call here.

AndieNZ Sat 20-May-17 13:50:20

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've now got a few things to consider.

She is in her thirties but has a mental age of 8 so whatever needs to be done at home will need to be carried out by myself due to her ability plus she lives with us. She has quite a low pain threshold and a beautiful, but as I say a very sensitive complexion. Think the increased hair growth is hormone related.

I never considered going to the GP so that may be the way to go. I'm intrigued about Vaniqua so I'm off to google!

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now