Talk

Advanced search

Getting long hair cut short

(10 Posts)
Januarie Fri 19-May-17 23:14:15

I have quite long hair, probably about three to four inches past my shoulders. For most of my adult life I have had it long and did have it chopped into a bob once but didn't like it and thought it made my face look fat.

The ends are now in dreadful condition because of highlights and heated appliances and I also just fancy a change. I really want a long bob but can everyone be honest- is longer hair actually more flattering? My hair type is poker straight, relatively thick but stubborn and hangs very straight. I like it to look "softer" so sleep in Velcro rollers to give it volume and movement.

I've attached a photo of what I'd like it to look like- is this achievable?

Asmoto Fri 19-May-17 23:18:59

I think if you get the right cut, short hair can be much more flattering than long hair - but it does depend on the cut. With longer styles, the cut doesn't make the same degree of difference.

The picture looks great - I think the main thing you'd need to carry that off is lots of volume in your hair.

OvO Fri 19-May-17 23:21:06

You've just described my hair!

I had it cut into a bob a few weeks ago and I've never had so many compliments.

I think long straight hair can be a bit Cousin Itt. Mine certainly was. So a bob is much more flattering.

wonderstuff Fri 19-May-17 23:24:23

I feel so much better in short hair. Mines dead straight, really fine, flyaway. Long it just limply sits there, much better in a pixie cut. You do really need a decent hairdresser though. Mines just announced she's moving sad

kateemo Fri 19-May-17 23:27:58

Hmmmm. I'm not sure you can get that look with thick poker straight hair. Have you ever had layers in or do you wear it all one length? Layers will give some impression of movement. The woman in that photo looks like she has long layers.

Grass is always greener, eh? I had long wavy, but fine hair until last month when I chopped it all off because it was starting to thin noticeably. Think Alex Polizzi, the Hotel Inspector lady, but have to tease it a bit to get her volume. I love it. So easy.

dontpokethebear Fri 19-May-17 23:30:53

I had about 6" cut off my last week, so it sat on my shoulders. Because it just sat there, it looked crap and totally without style.
I had another 2-3" cut off today and I love it. It has made me look so much younger!

If you want a long Bob, definitely go for a graduated one, or just under chin length.

Enidblyton1 Fri 19-May-17 23:31:25

A long bob suits most face shapes. I say go for it!

If you hair is currently 3-4 inches below shoulders then you're not talking about having that much cut off anyway. And if you have split/damaged ends, cutting 3-4 inches off your hair will almost certainly make it look better.

Januarie Fri 19-May-17 23:32:38

I have got long layers in my hair but the ends are in terrible condition and I think it just looks a bit boring. I think the hair in the photo is a bit ambitious as I expect line would hang limply! For those of you with a bob you like what's the best thing to ask for? I want to be brave and have it above shoulder length I think but I'm a bit scared!

Enidblyton1 Fri 19-May-17 23:38:57

Google 'face shapes' and work out what your shape is and what are the most flattering styles.
Then search for a particular style and see which images you like best - remember what thickness and texture your hair is too. Some styles suit thicker/wavy hair and others suit fine hair.

Pick a good hair dresser.
Show them several images and ask whether it would work for you.

Be bold! You can always grow it out if you don't like it. I've just had 5-6 inches cut off my hair and I love it.

tabbymog Fri 19-May-17 23:58:08

Pictures are better than words here. Have you searched online to see what you can find on the hair style sites? Take a few to your stylist and say 'I like this, would it work on mine?'. Maybe go to the salon half an hour early (or more!) and look through their style books?

I have a long face and my hair looks best cut off at my cheekbones. It's quite thick but fine and with my mother's kink at the front. I hate that kink. I grew my fringe out and now with a fabulous cut, gently layered for texture, it falls the way I want it just quickly blow drying it with a brush. Miraculous. It's taken me several decades to get to this!

I always prefer to have my hair cut by a man; when I said this to the people at the desk when I paid last time, they said that a lot of female clients feel like that. I do think they look at me differently, how I look rather than how my hair looks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now