Talk

Advanced search

I'm getting my hair dyed tomorrow and I'm nervous!

(38 Posts)
iwasagirlinavillage Fri 19-May-17 20:44:13

I've dyed my own hair with home dye for years. After the breakdown of my marriage and finally picking myself back up I feel like a change. I decided I wanted to go back to my natural colour and then have blond ends - balayage or ombré or whatever it's called.

I've had strand tests done and because of the current redy/browny colour on my hair they'll need to go darker than my natural colour to cover it. They think stripping the colour out would damage my hair too much and I also had a reaction to one hair dye so they think I'd likely react to whatever they use to strip the colour out. So it'll be a brown on the top and blond at the ends. She said she'll leave some stands brown throughout the whole length to break it up.

I'm quite nervous. What if it all goes horribly wrong and I end up with various shades of red? Or if I get a huge block of blond around the bottom and it looks ridiculous?

The first image is my current colour and the other two are something like what I'm hoping for.

I'll be back with the after photo tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Softkitty2 Fri 19-May-17 20:47:09

I hope it goes well for you. The look you want is beautiful however it does take a skillful colourist to do it.. Post pics when it's done. Goodluck

iwasagirlinavillage Fri 19-May-17 20:49:22

I know, that's why I'm a bit anxious. It's the owner of the salon who's doing it, and she's been there for years but I've never had her do my hair before - it's my parents hairdressers as I'm staying with them.

MissT2095 Fri 19-May-17 20:51:24

I had a similar hair colour to yours, also with a red tint to it. I went back to normal brown with ombré. Best thing I ever did. Would never go back

iwasagirlinavillage Fri 19-May-17 20:53:40

Ooooo MissT. Can you post photos?

FloatyCat Fri 19-May-17 21:00:32

Go for it, my hair is similar maybe be a little bit darker and I really fancy this too.

KellyMarieTunstall2 Fri 19-May-17 22:01:07

Watching with interest. I hope it goes well.

sowhatusernameisnttaken Sat 20-May-17 09:21:16

Good luck, I'm hoping to get it done to so will be very interested how you get on x

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 09:57:57

Foils are on and I'm slightly freaking out!!

She's left some strands throughout to breakup the blond so it doesn't look like a big block.

Agggghhhh!

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 11:45:36

She's taken some of the foils off and the blond looks good but the difference between the two colours is quite stark. I'm hoping it only looks stark on each individual section as she's done them at different levels and left some darker colour in between so hopefully it should blend. I hope so, if not I might cry.

Currently freaking out a little bit!

Mamia15 Sat 20-May-17 12:25:49

I love the look - it looks best if you put in waves though.

pinkieandperkie Sat 20-May-17 12:37:24

Maria I love that look too. How do you create waves like that?

DonaldTrumpsTrump Sat 20-May-17 12:39:55

Fingers crossed it turns out nice, I do like balayage smile

pinkieandperkie Sat 20-May-17 12:40:00

Sorry That should read Mamia

ShinyGirl Sat 20-May-17 12:40:29

Photo!

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 12:58:21

Still in here!

She rinsed the dye out but the lines between colours was too stark - she said it before I did - so she's gone back through it all to soften the lines. Currently sitting with dye on again.

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 13:08:34

I posted this on my ongoing thread but I'll post my before photo too.

(Annoyingly I'm wearing the same dress as the photo in my first post. I do own other clothes I promise!)

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 13:09:36

The photo won't upload for some reason. I'll try again in a while.

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 13:56:02

She still wasn't happy! So she's gone back over the joins with the darker colour now.

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 13:57:54

I've been here 5 1/2 hours!

AuntPol Sat 20-May-17 16:31:13

How's it looking now, OP?

I know you've been there hours, but at least your hairdresser is trying her best to get it right - so many these days seem happy to send you on your way with orange/yellow/zebra striped hair...

iwasagirlinavillage Sat 20-May-17 17:13:17

It's all done. It took 6 1/2 hours and it looks really nice but MN won't let me post a photo as I've exceeded my limit for the day or on the thread. I'm not sure which. sad

SleepFreeZone Sat 20-May-17 17:15:12

I'm glad you are happy. She sounds very conscientious 👍

AuntPol Sat 20-May-17 17:16:29

I'm glad you're pleased with it after all that smile. Please come back tomorrow and post a photo!

Mamia15 Sat 20-May-17 18:57:21

Pinkie - use either tongs or straighteners, there are lots of video clips on You Tube showing how to do these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now