Talk

Advanced search

Olive oil for eye makeup remover?

(14 Posts)
QuimReaper Fri 19-May-17 10:28:27

A couple of years ago I got swept up in the "cleansing oil" trend and had a wonderful few months with Body Shop's Chamomile Cleansing Oil before it turned on me horribly - took months for my chin to recover.

I carried on using the oil as an eye makeup remover though, and loved it. I even replaced the bottle just to keep using it as an eye makeup remover. I massage it in all around my eyes, it feels lovely and keeps them nice and hydrated, and obviously doesn't give me spots on my eyelids grin

I'm running low now again though and it feels a bit extravagant to buy more just for eye makeup remover - can I sub in plain old EVOO?

Thanks!

bojorojo Fri 19-May-17 11:30:33

Yuk! Just Yuk at the thought of it!

AvoidingCallenetics Fri 19-May-17 11:32:51

I wouldn't. I think as a one off, it would be okay but I think it would be too heavy for everyday use.

eyespydreams Fri 19-May-17 11:37:39

Why yuk? What? Using a food-grade product to clean your face? I use olive oil with castor oil to cleanse face, it's totally normal and a well know thing? Oil cleansing method.

OP It irritates my eyes so I don't use it for tbat but if it works for you knock yourself out.

wiselyvanilla Fri 19-May-17 11:38:12

shockgrin
No, if you can indulge yourself-do!

wiselyvanilla Fri 19-May-17 11:38:49

Jojoba oil is really light though.

Floisme Fri 19-May-17 11:42:27

I often use it as a moisturiser too as I have sensitive skin. It's good stuff although I prefer the 'light' as no smell. Supermarket almond oil also works well. If it's good enough to put in my mouth then I reckon it's good enough for my face.

cannaethink Fri 19-May-17 15:29:54

I use jojoba oil as well, I really like it. I'd see no problem with using olive oil though, nice and cheap!

OrangeJulius Fri 19-May-17 15:41:55

I don't see why not. If you have some in the kitchen, try it for a few days and see if you get on with it?

flibberdy Fri 19-May-17 15:52:38

I heard coconut oil is good for EVERYTHING

Summer23 Fri 19-May-17 15:52:57

Coconut oil is a good cleanser

Inthemistywest Fri 19-May-17 16:20:58

Absolutely, add some lavender essential oil if you want a 'fresher' smell; I oil cleanse my whole face this way and it works for me!

QuimReaper Sat 20-May-17 12:49:17

Thanks for all the replies! I use a hot cloth to remove it and wash my whole face afterwards with an Elemis cleanser, so I don't really get any residue, but I don't really mind if I do - I think oil around the eyes overnight has to be a good moisturiser.

I'm surprised at the couple of "yuk" / shock responses - I thought everyone knew about oil cleansing by now!

The problem I've had with jojoba oil when I used to use it for oil cleansing years ago was that after a few months the oil starts to smell like bacon confused Is there any way around that?

Coconut oil is a great idea too, but a bit of a faff - I usually just have a pump bottle for the oil so not sure how I'd switch to cold pressed stuff. A tin maybe? Food for thought!

Hairq Sat 20-May-17 15:37:46

Olive oil makes a great make up remover! Just use it with a hot flannel and it's great for removing eye make up - doesn't irritate eyes so is really gentle. I've used it all over my face for years and it works better than anything else I've tried. I find that cosmetic oils irritate my skin, but olive oil doesn't. It's better than coconut oil too (coconut oil is great for your hair but not so good for your skin - it can cause break outs and make your skin look dull).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now