Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis - Often Knowingly Undersold (Whistles related!)

(9 Posts)
Clickncollect Thu 18-May-17 21:15:25

So Whistles are currently offering 20% off online and in stores. Unfortunately the skirt I want isn't in stock online and I can't get to a store right now so I had a look at John Lewis and they have the skirt in stock online. Hooray!
So I filled in JL's online form for price matching and they have refused ! Their reasons are due to the fact the item is out of stock in my size on the Whistles website (although other sizes are available) and that the price reduction isn't clear on the Whistles website (except it is clear as day and I had already forwarded JL the link)
So am I right in saying that their ''never knowingly undersold' slogan is a load of rubbish and they clearly look for the flimsiest reasons to refuse a price match. I honestly thought this was the most clear cut price matching example and am really surprised they refused. Obviously I've sent a scathing email back. Has anyone else experienced similar?

AnthonyPandy Thu 18-May-17 21:18:24

Moneysaving expert covered exactly this the other day. Let me find the link.

AnthonyPandy Thu 18-May-17 21:20:07

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2017/05/mse-investigation-reveals-john-lewis-is-knowingly-undersold/amp

Clickncollect Thu 18-May-17 21:30:56

Thanks @AnthonyPandy - interesting reading. It seems I've probably fallen foul of the 'in stock, not simply available to order at a later date' rule although the skirt in my size is in stock at some Whistles store and is available for me to order and pick up a store.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 18-May-17 21:36:36

I had this exact same thing with JL at Christmas ref Space NK. My gripe was that the item was available at SNK when I emailed JL, but sold out by the time they got back to me, even though I'd taken screenshots. V annoying. (Whistles customer service will find the skirt for you and you can pay over the phone to whatever store has it, then they'll post it to you.)

confuseddotcom82 Fri 19-May-17 00:33:05

I had the same thing with them and joules. It was highly unsatisfactory they are obviously cutting back.

DianaT1969 Fri 19-May-17 06:58:46

While we are talking about John Lewis, does anyone else get annoyed that they:
1. Don't have an 'opt out' option for their marketing spam when you buy online
2. When you query this with customer services, they say it's up to you to log in to your account and manage preferences. Why should I have to waste my time doing that?
3. After buying online from JL, your email box is blessed with washing up liquid and garden offers from Waitrose - even more annoying when it's your work email account.
They claim it takes them 28 days to undubscribe you. What, are they writing names down on slates and storing them in Peru?
I've reported them to the ICO a few times and hope they get fined for their loose interpretation of privacy and spam.
Rant over smile

Haffiana Fri 19-May-17 08:14:12

Reply to John Lewis saying that the item is clearly for sale at the reduced price on the Whistles site and that the fact that 1 size is now out of stock is completely irrelevant as they do not sell different sizes at different prices. Ask them to explain exactly where in their ts& cs does it say that if 1 size is out of stock they will refuse to price match.
If you argue your point they will price match.

Clickncollect Fri 19-May-17 11:43:15

Thanks all - I have spoken to Whistles and they have tracked down the skirt (and a top) and will be sending out to me. They were super helpful and exactly how Customer Service should be. Thanks @judydreamsofhorses for the tips.
As for John Lewis, they're still refusing to price match and they say the reason is now because the 20% discount was only sent to customers on whistles mailing list. It's true I received an email but the prices were showing discounted on whistles website regardless. However that has changed today so John Lewis can now say they're correct.
It's not the end of the world but it does leave a bad taste that they don't stand by their own slogan and are really petty with it aswell. I certainly won't be shopping there unless it's a last resort and I mentioned this thread in my last email to them. Crazy way to run a business!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now