Talk

Advanced search

Perfect jumpsuit - shrunk in the wash. Is there hope?

(12 Posts)
bigcheesematrix Thu 18-May-17 18:54:17

I bought a lovely jumpsuit in H+M, wore it once for a night out and washed it on a standard 40 wash.
Just got it out to try on to see if it's suitable for work and it's shrunk in both length of body and legs, and tightness! Checked the label and it says wash at 30, would washing at 40 really have made that much difference?
Anyway I'm wondering if I could wash it again (and follow the instructions this time!) and stretch it whilst it's damp whether that would work. Has anyone had any success with this?
I'm gutted as I felt good in it, it was going to be my go to outfit for occasions this summer. Might need to buy a new one but don't want to waste money if it's simply going to shrink when washed! Material is 100% viscose.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 18-May-17 19:01:26

is it viscose?? IME it shrinks like a bastard

Iron it wet, straight from the machine and hang in the airing cupboard to dry, and it shoul dbe fine, but might need yet another iron before you wear it

This is why i no longer buy anything viscose.

If it's not then I'd take it back and get a refund....30-40 is nothing and should not make a difference

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 18-May-17 19:02:20

christ, i SWEAR that bit about viscose wasn't there when i posted!

imjessie Thu 18-May-17 19:19:04

If it's still wet then it will dry bigger , don't panic .. as it dries stretch it back to shape .!

bigcheesematrix Thu 18-May-17 19:24:42

Seems like there possibly is hope then, never had clothes shrink this much before! I'll give it a wash again and stretch it out/iron it out.
Will be wary buying 100% viscose again, I never usually check labels etc.
This is the jumpsuit m2.hm.com/m/en_gb/productpage.0501316002.html#Dark blue/Spotted
Doesn't look much but quite flattering on, I like the wide legs. Wanted to get it in black as well but might not bother now.

imjessie Thu 18-May-17 20:30:00

Is it dry ? No need to wash it again , just re stretch it as it dries and when you iron it sort of pull it back to shape . If it is actually shrinking washing will make it shrink again!!

bigcheesematrix Thu 18-May-17 22:01:34

It's not wet, I washed it a couple of weeks ago and put away in wardrobe. Only just tried it on again today. So need to wash it again to get it wet so I can reshape it. Might hand wash and then spin in the machine in order to reduce shrinking effects!

CherylVole Thu 18-May-17 22:17:05

oh i had this
wash again
PULL INTO SHAPE
will be fine

ArieltheMermaid1720 Fri 19-May-17 06:48:24

I had this the other day with a top. I soaked it in lukewarm water with a splodge of baby shampoo (not sure if the baby shampoo is completely necessary but read online that it would relax the fibres). I left it for about 30 mins and then stretched it like a mo-foband dried flat. It actually worked. Good luck!

creamcheeseandlox Fri 19-May-17 07:34:30

Iron it with a steam
Iron. I've had this with tops before and it's like the steam iron sort of 'hydrates' it and goes back to normal size.

bigcheesematrix Sat 20-May-17 09:33:26

It worked, hurrah! Thanks everyone grin

TheChineseChicken Sat 20-May-17 09:36:48

Great jumpsuit - going shopping today and have added to my list grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now