Talk

Advanced search

Backpack that keeps things in the right place

(9 Posts)
LambChopsMcGee Thu 18-May-17 17:19:36

So I've just been on holiday, wearing the baby in the sling and carrying things in a backpack (and a bumbag, so yeah, I am not being all that stylish...but please help!)

However, my backpack is one big compartment and quite...sack like. Every time I wanted something out of there I had to rummage around for ages as it just all swirled around like it was in a washing machine as I walked.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice (ish) looking backpack that has some extra organisation/compartments without looking too...functional and enormous? I saw the NorthFace Women's vault pack, and thought that was nice, but advice from more stylish types much appreciated!!

I am also just rocking a vile green Karrimor bumback (when I wear the baby ONLY) and wondering whether to accept it and buy a "cooler" Herschel one in black or just wear the gross one for now...

Thanks in advance.
Writing this has made me realise what a slob I have become! blush

Cheesecake53 Thu 18-May-17 17:49:07

How do you like the style of this ? I have this for 5 years (! just realised) and it is still in a very good condition. It has one main compartment with a laptop section, then a smaller zipped compartment for pen and valuables (I think this could be bigger). At the top there is cushioned (not padded, but nice fabric) where I keep my sunglasses. At the front there is an insulated compartment for sandwiches etc, which I usually use for wet wipes and tissues. I like that it isn't bulky, but still roomy.

MightyMunki Thu 18-May-17 18:24:18

I lusted after these...

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V8529I2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495128032&sr=8-1&keywords=jujube+backpack&tag=mumsnetforum-21

EdithWeston Thu 18-May-17 18:45:55

Osprey might be a brand worth investigating

www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/everyday-commute

as they are very practical, good quality and, depending on which you go for, have lots of pockets.

(I don't know if it's a good idea to put gin in a hydration system)

bingohandjob Fri 19-May-17 07:25:03

I used to have a North Face one that had great organisation and pockets but God, it was ugly and heavy and I still checked every pocket before finding what I wanted. I'm now a total Kanken convert - it's one big space and a little front phone/wallet pocket and side space for water bottle/brolly but for me the reason or works is that's it's not a top loading bag. You can unzip it pretty much all the way around so plonk it on lap/table and you can get at what you need immediately. It's a bloody godsend in eg airport/at work to get at what you need without unloading everything. Light, comfortable (mine's got padded straps) holds LOADS and I love the minimalist/utilitarian style - and loads of colours. I sometimes wear a Fjallraven Pocket bag with it if need to get at phone/wallet without taking bag off.

KrsJd Fri 19-May-17 07:45:51

@MightyMunki oh wow now I'm lusting after it too sad

Farahilda Fri 19-May-17 07:48:57

How about one of these?

Because you can out the baby in it too

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/walking/equipment/rucksacks/baby-carriers

LambChopsMcGee Fri 19-May-17 12:08:14

Ohh, I love all these ideas!
I had been coveting a Kanken, bingo (great name...!) and I thought about the open all round thing, but on this trip I was often rooting around in the bag while it was on DP's back, so I think the uglier/bulkier options might work better in that way?

The Ospreys look nice, are they maybe a bit deep though? As in stick out from the back??

Laska5772 Fri 19-May-17 16:02:24

Get a handbag organiser to go in it? Thats what i did with my Jaegar Hix backpacjk which i use as my everyday work bag. The one i got was made b y Tintamar but lots of them around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now