Talk

Advanced search

Face powder (and sun cream) advice

(9 Posts)
Iamthinking Thu 18-May-17 12:27:59

As part of a new skin care regime I have started putting on factor 50 suncream everyday. Except I shine like a mirror. And it doesn't seem to sink in. I apply make-up about 3 hours later if I am lucky.

What powders can I use, if any, to put on so that I don't go on the school run looking so very shiny? I have zilch experience of powders as they terrify me, and there seem to be loads around for the knowledgable.

I am fair skinned, and would like it to be absolutely colourless - I tried one which I thought fitted that bill, but it makes me look paler. It said it was translucent. And it only partially gets rid of the shine.

I have also tried a mineral sunscreen, as I thought that would be maybe a better idea. But while that seems less shiny it gives me a bit of a white mask. So any sunscreen advice would be welcome too so I don't spend a fortune working through inappropriate options that are shiny or white mask-y. (Non-comodegenic & quickly absorbed as well).

Thank you!

Ollivander84 Thu 18-May-17 12:30:44

Biore 50 watery essence is the best SPF, no white cast at all

Ollivander84 Thu 18-May-17 12:32:57

Posted too soon! Which powder did you try, was it loose or pressed and was it white in the tub or skin colour?

Iamthinking Thu 18-May-17 13:08:31

OK, without going upstairs to check, it was definitely white in the tub and loose. It was from Superdrug, so wasn't an expensive purchase - it was one of those brands that is only sold in Superdrug.
Is the Biore a mineral one then? Do you wear make-up over it? And it isn't too shiny?

Ollivander84 Thu 18-May-17 13:12:49

Not shiny, and yes easy to wear makeup over. It's v v popular, especially in Korean skincare
I would look powder wise for one that says translucent but appears skin colour. I'm pretty sure No 7 do one. Less likely to leave any white cast. Or blotting papers, or a setting spray could work instead of using powder

Ollivander84 Thu 18-May-17 13:13:56

Review here
https://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/2015/03/18/review-the-new-2015-biore-uv-aqua-rich-watery-essence-spf-50-pa/

Iamthinking Thu 18-May-17 14:32:20

Oh, how interesting that review is. I never knew that about Asian sunscreens vs western sunscreens, but it makes so much sense.

She said to avoid the eye area though, and I have seen elsewhere that you should take the cream up to the lower lashes - for obvious reasons.

Ollivander84 Thu 18-May-17 14:42:51

I haven't had any issues with using it around the eye are but if you are very sensitive I guess it could be a problem

Iamthinking Thu 18-May-17 16:34:20

Well I have bought that now. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now