Talk

Advanced search

Adult acne! Help!

(11 Posts)
JacksMumRach Thu 18-May-17 08:17:43

I am 29, iv had acne since i was 14. Now its getting to the point where its really getting to my confidence. Iv tried loads of medication, skin care regimes and other potions. I try to go without make up on my days off from work but my 4 year old came out of nursery the other day upset as another child was making fun of his "mammys dirty spotty face"
Do you any of you wonderful mumsnetters have any advice?

Hullabaloo31 Thu 18-May-17 08:56:53

I'm not sure I have advice, but I couldn't read that and not reply, you poor thing. I suffer on and off and hate it when my own (little) kids mention it.

I think I'd probably head back to your GP and push for more help or a referral to a dermatologist?

PurpleBurtle Thu 18-May-17 11:17:09

I'm a long term sufferer aswell, battled with it for over 20years. It might be worth looking at diet, I'm finally seeing a big difference after giving up gluten and avoiding high carb and processed food.

JohnCheese Thu 18-May-17 11:42:00

I have every sympathy, it's horrible.
At the risk of sounding harsh, don't waste time with OTC products/diet etc. Acne is a medical issue, even more so if it's as extensive as you describe. The occasional small spot is cosmetic. It sounds like you've already tried the GP route. Get referred to a dermatologist.

Try the La Roche Posay Efaclar range while you're waiting for your appointment.

Put it another way, you've already spent 15 years trying to manage it. It's not going anywhere. Don't spend the next 15 years bothered by it. Acne is no fun.

JacksMumRach Thu 18-May-17 18:19:28

I have been referred to derm when i was 21. I was put on this horrible medication for a year, literally strongest that they do. It sucked all the moisture out my body, i had dry cracked skin all over, constipation, dry eyes, and sex was a big no no! It ruined me but it did clear up spots until 6 months after i stopped it. Cannot face that again.
Thank you for support ladies!
Does anyone have a good coverage foundation that doesnt leave you shiny?

owenjonesismyhero Thu 18-May-17 21:51:34

Look at www.acne.com/ for advice / support

I also highly rate Avene Triacneal.

I feel your pain, my skin was blighted until mid 30s, now only settled in my 40s.

owenjonesismyhero Thu 18-May-17 21:52:10

Revlon colourstay is good btw.

blue2014 Thu 18-May-17 22:02:40

I would honestly go back to GP, they can try something else. 15 years is a long time in the medical world.

Giving up dairy really helped me but the biggest impact for me is hormones - pregnancy cleared it all up. Did it help for you? Hormones worth trying?

shebagthehag Thu 18-May-17 22:16:15

Fellow sufferer here

You may have already tried these but acnecide and liquid gold (for mahooosive pores) seem to be working for me atm. Still have a few spots but it's worked wonders on my lumpy forehead.

Mine is definitely hormone related as I'm worse in the week up to and the week after my period, 3 whole weeks of miserable spots

musicalmama Thu 18-May-17 22:24:21

I have acne AND rosacea! Roaccutane like you've been on... worked to clear up the big spots (4 month course at high dose for my weight) but rosacea now worse than ever. Maybe worth another short course of that if you can handle the horrible side effects.

Prior to roaccutane for my acne about 6 months before my wedding I cut all processed food from my diet so basically only ate fruit, veg, meat and pulses. Cut out dairy apart from milk in my tea. I also took Manuka honey every day plus vitamin E capsules. My skin vastly improved but not as drastic as roaccutane and no way could I sustain that diet. Multivitamins and no alcohol also help my skin.

Hope you find something I know how you feel! sad

Beenbadwolf Fri 19-May-17 08:06:07

My dermatologist recommended using Neutrogena products. I use a face wash that contains little gritty bits and it helped enormously. Now, if I don't use it for a couple of days I immediately get a breakout.

I stated using the facewash twice a day followed by Neutrogena oil free moisturiser.

It's been 10 years now. I still use the face wash but have progressed to a collagen based moisturiser. I can use regular makeup and sun cream, my skin tolerates it as long as I keep using the gritty face wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now