Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Style me!

(8 Posts)
sowhatusernameisnttaken Thu 18-May-17 08:01:52

Ok so I'm a size 12 top, size 14 bottom. Late 30's, just kondo'd my wardrobe to get rid of (most of) the rubbish. Brands I tend to wear are Boden, gap, white stuff (not the patterned stuff!!), the odd joules item (again only plain items). I've narrowed my colour palette down to navy, white, grey, bit of black and pink. I'm still in skinny jeans, trainers (converse types), Tshirts worn with a cardy but I never feel polished or trendy! I don't think I wear any awful clangers but maybe I do.
Can anyone help me look more stylish?
Oh and I carry largish tote style bags. I heard it made you look thinner!
I need to lose a good half a stone but haven't started on that one yet!

NisekoWhistler Thu 18-May-17 08:21:14

Similar position here, I've started by using Pinterest and searching things like 2017 trends or capsule wardrobe for pear shape. If you often wear a t shirt and cardigans stick to the rule of no t shirts and cardigans and force yourself to mix it up.
What about other brands like whistles and Reiss they have great items, I can't afford them new so always get in charity shop or eBay

sowhatusernameisnttaken Thu 18-May-17 09:57:22

Yes I feel like I need to start sipping in Reiss/whistles/hush/mint velvet etc to move my look on and up but can't quite bring myself to pay their prices but that's silly because Boden costs a fair bit and one item from there might be better than lots of tat in joules...

sowhatusernameisnttaken Thu 18-May-17 10:01:02

Shopping not sipping!

NisekoWhistler Thu 18-May-17 10:18:18

Exactly!
Honestly ebay is your friend, sell your old stuff on there and treat yourself to new items on there when your Paypal funds are in!

FauxFox Thu 18-May-17 13:21:34

You don't need to spend money to look good.

Colour palette sounds great but I am far from convinced by cardigans...are we talking fitted shape with some buttons done up or voluminous long ones? If the latter I would ditch them in favour of cropped shape fitted cardis or slim fit jumpers or a cropped shape denim or leather jacket.

Then you need to consider layering, so...

Skinny jeans (rolled up neatly to a cropped length for a bit of interest/bulk to balance out your bum)
Neat converse style trainers with proper socks that are hidden inside the shoe.
Long vest top in white or bright colour that comes to mid/low bum length.
Add slim jumper in navy/grey/black that leaves 3 inches or so of the vest showing at the bottom.

Other options - white shirt with colour and cuffs and hem showing under jumper.
Longish T-shirt with fitted cropped denim/canvas jacket worn with one button done up (if you are busty second from the bottom will probably work best.)

Fitted clothes that fit well will make you look far slimmer than oversized, shapeless things.

Bright lipstick, shiny hair colourful or neutral polished nails, a few nice pieces of jewellery (not 'statement' things, a nice bangle or pendant or some small realistic looking fake diamond stud earrings - quality looking things)

Primary vests have good length and are £2.50. TK Maxx is ace for a fun handbag or cut price designer denim/canvas jacket. H&M and Zara for jumpers.

sowhatusernameisnttaken Sat 20-May-17 07:26:47

Thanks Niseko I don't mind buying handbags on eBay but like buying my clothes from the shops themselves. I use eBay lots just not for clothes as I've had some bad experiences!

sowhatusernameisnttaken Sat 20-May-17 07:28:05

Thanks FauxFox I'm
Prepared to spend a fair amount I'm trying to steer clear of places like H&M and primary these days, the quality a just not there for me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now