Talk

Advanced search

Pores

(25 Posts)
Blahblahblahyadayadayada Wed 17-May-17 19:30:59

So despite using primer, BHA, foundation, powder etc, I still get the polka dot effect on my nose with makeup. Any suggestions would be welcome. This never used to be an issue, more in the last 1-2 years.
I have a sensitive ish skin, my nose is rather reactive and goes red easily and the tip can get a bit dry. I assumed I had rosacea but a GP has suggested it is more like eczema and nothing will help the redness. They suggested I use a barrier type of cream, something like cetraben and, of course, spf. Product suggestions welcome, although I do have a hoarde of products I should try to use up first!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Thu 18-May-17 06:42:01

Bump

Ktown Thu 18-May-17 06:52:49

I would change your make up
Also Sam bunting recommends not overdoing make up and powder and letting your skin rest
It sounds like you are layering on too much
Bha and a charcoal mask works for me
Perhaps a tinted moisturiser might be better?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Thu 18-May-17 08:50:23

Oh I don't use everything all at once!

What makeup, charcoal mask would you suggest? I've tried a Laura mercier tinted moisturiser (shade and finish were all wrong) and a bobbi brown one (something in it irritated me). I usually find Bobbi Brown works best in terms of shade and finish in general. Just have the pesky polka dot effect on my nose! I have a PaulasChoice BHA, though I don't use it daily. I have a L'Oréal charcoal mask but I find I can't leave it on too long.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JohnCheese Thu 18-May-17 11:48:35

Would a primer under made up help the foundation 'skim' the pores iykwim?

Other than that, a different foundation I'd say.

JohnCheese Thu 18-May-17 11:49:40

Sorry, posted a bit soon. Nothing will change the size of your pores. It's really a matter of 'managing' them.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 08:45:52

Yes that is the truth about pores. I've tried various primers and foundations but maybe not the right ones.

picklemepopcorn Fri 19-May-17 09:18:57

Light reflective products in the foundation/powder? To blur the look of pores?

Avon magix primer is nice. Can't tell you what it does, but it feels nice and you look .... different. Smoother.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 09:28:16

Thanks. I will have to investigate.

Although, I do have a hoarse of products that I really ought to use before buying anything more...

lollylou2876 Fri 19-May-17 09:35:43

Have you Benefit porefessional primer, you could ask for a sample at the counter, or buy it and return if it doesn't work.

Also get them to show you how to it for maximum coverage and get tips and techniques.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 11:32:35

I've tried Porefessional but it wasn't all that effective. Maybe there is something wrong with my application technique and I end up taking the primer off when I apply makeup.

eyespydreams Fri 19-May-17 11:39:34

Try one of those tooth brush style foundation brushes to apply makeup, vvg at reducing look of pores. There are v expensive ones but noticed primark were doing them the other day if you wanted to trial one.

Squashit Fri 19-May-17 11:41:43

I have massive pores on my hooter. The ONLY foundation that covers the blighters is Maybelline matte mousse. That stuff is a bloody marvel.

Shelvesoutofbooks Fri 19-May-17 11:42:22

You should be tapping porefessional onto your face instead of rubbing it in. You want it to go into your pores, so you tap it into the areas you want pores blurred

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 12:12:33

Eyespye which brush would you recommend (unless in can go to primark).
Great tips!

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 19-May-17 13:34:21

I seem to remember reading that you glide your skincare and make up downwards with pore covering in mind rather than any kind of circular or rubbing movements. Never tried it though.

What I would say is that I bet no-one else notices your pores!

gojettersgo Fri 19-May-17 13:39:26

I'd say 2% salicylate acid toner 2 daily.
Also a beauty lesson, usually redeemable against purchases, at MAC or similar, to show you exactly how to use the products so you don't end up wasting money on lads of stuff.

They can go, but for me 3 months into BHA, I've noticed 50% improvement on 2 times daily.

Also try going make up free where you can.

JohnCheese Fri 19-May-17 14:38:21

Don't let them sell you one of those highly light reflective foundations. They magnify the size of your pores. Highlight them.
I use Chanel Velvet in the black bottle. As good as it gets for me. My friend uses Lancôme Teint Idol 24 hours (some name like that) massive pores, looks v good on her. colour wrong for me.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 18:44:40

Love your name gojettergo. I'm on maternity leave so hardly wear makeup now.
I could try to be more consistent with the BHA as well. Good idea re the lesson- I have loads of products already so maybe re-learning just how to use them is the trick.

John Cleese, I seem to be between shades in lancome but can't quite get the shade right. The feint idols has a lovely finish, however. Chanel velvet sounds gorgeous. Maybe I'll have to wear my makeup at home to use it up before I buy new foundation!

gojettersgo Fri 19-May-17 20:34:05

I went to see a cosmetic Dr. Who could have sold me lots of expensive products but told me the key was BHA and time. I use Paula's choice 2% salicylic as the ZO skin one he recommended was really expensive for exactly the same active ingredient. I think something glycolic stops the pores clogging, so maybe add some of that. It could be the hormones too after the baby - the pill used to help until I was told I couldn't use it.

Nicketynac Fri 19-May-17 21:13:08

I have been using Azelaic acid suspension from The Ordinary (cost about a fiver) plus BHA from Paulas's Choice. The AA suspension is supposed to be brightening but is almost a primer as well. It has helped a lot with pores on my nose but can still see them next to my nose so not found my Holy Grail yet.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 22:31:28

Oh I saw some good reviews for the azelaic acid by The Ordinary. Might help with redness, too. Supposed to be good for fading marks from breakouts as well. Nickety, do you apply spf over the AA?

Ktown Sat 20-May-17 00:15:08

The sanctuary charcoal mask once per week

Nicketynac Sun 21-May-17 10:17:56

blah yes I do. It mentions it on the label although I use SPF anyway. Not sure it has had any lasting effects for me but when you have it on it really has a brightening effect. I have been using it for maybe six weeks and will def buy again.
I had it in work with me and my colleague tried it on his hand and he remarked on how smooth his hand looked and felt so it isn't just me smile

Crochita Sun 21-May-17 14:01:04

I use this, it's lovely.
www.amazon.co.uk/d/Beauty/Alpha-Hydrox-Souffle-45-ml/B000G8LWZI?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now