Talk

Advanced search

Balayage

(13 Posts)
Kimonolady Wed 17-May-17 16:25:14

Hello! Just come into some birthday money, starting a new career soon, and fancying a change, so want to do something with my hair. I'm thinking balayage! Can I ask what your experiences of it are? What's the upkeep like? How much do you normally pay?
I've got dark brown hair, fairly long (down to bra cup), wavy/slightly curly. Not looking to be blonde, just to get some honey and caramel lights in it to be a bit more summery. I'm concerned it could be brassy - my hair definitely has a reddish undertone. Thoughts? Pictures welcomed!!

Kimonolady Wed 17-May-17 16:25:52

This is what I was after, could maybe even go a tiny bit blonder?

Oswin Wed 17-May-17 16:31:19

I had it like this but more blonde, did it myself but would cost, 50-75 maybe.
Easiest hair I've ever had. Doesn't require anything really. It's great for me because I dye my hair a lot, when I have to top it up every few weeks it stops my hair growing.
Having it like this meant I was able to leave it alone for a year and now it's in great condition.

glitterglitters Wed 17-May-17 16:34:00

I've just had it done and I love it. It's very much an art form in itself though so you need to trust your hairdresser. It can end up looking very blocky otherwise. X

glitterglitters Wed 17-May-17 16:35:35

Also it depends on how dark you are, how light you want to go etc. The beauty of balayage is you can leave your roots natural and it softens it all out. I've gone lighter but eventually want to go Rose gold. My hair is a level 2 though so it'll take several sessions.

Kimonolady Wed 17-May-17 17:00:20

Fantastic - thanks all, exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'd heard that it required little upkeep as you don't have "roots" as such and I'm glad to hear that's the case.
Did you need to use a purple shampoo/conditioner at all to prevent brassiness?
I'm in London, and think I'll be looking at more like £120 :/ I could probably get it slightly cheaper (80-90) but would worry that it wouldn't be done to a high standard. Does that sound reasonable?

glitterglitters Wed 17-May-17 17:04:36

I use purple shampoo once a week. Anymore and it goes brassy and dull.

£120 sounds about right I'd say for London. I paid £75 but I'm in the south and I had junior do it (but she is an award winning colourist for her level so that helped!)

bellalou1234 Wed 17-May-17 17:05:32

I have light brown highlighted hair and have an appointment to get it done on Saturday! I'm going blonder tho

Kimonolady Wed 17-May-17 17:44:03

Bellalou1234 would you mind feeding back after? Would love to hear how it went!
And glittersglitters, your hair is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Lucky you for finding a stylist who is such a bargain!

Teardropexplodes Wed 17-May-17 18:41:16

Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot. How do you pronounce balayage?

Mine's a bit like that, as I've been topping up my roots from some bronze highlights a few years ago, and it looks ok (nice even) but I could do to have a freshen up. And I would, if I could pronounce it...

Clarabelle40 Wed 17-May-17 20:36:04

It's pronounced bah-lee-ahzge

bellalou1234 Wed 17-May-17 21:35:23

Of course 😀

FurbysMakeSexNoises Fri 19-May-17 18:58:56

I've just had it for £84 including cut in the midlands and love it- really subtle. Likely to wear well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now