Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need an outfit for a wedding that I can breastfeed in

(13 Posts)
hanloulou85 Wed 17-May-17 15:09:07

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I'm really struggling to find a dress for a wedding at the end of June that I will be able to feed my then 3 month old in. Why do all nursing dresses double up as maternity? I bought a nursing dress for a wedding after DS1 and looking back at the pictures the extra fabric to allow for a bump really just emphasised the fact that I still looked a bit pregnant. Please help me not make the same mistake again! I'm 5 ft 9, blonde hair and a size 14/16 (and looking rather chubby round the middle...)

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Wed 17-May-17 15:46:16

How about a wrap style dress with some stretch? Perhaps something that you could still use again?
I don't know which shops stock them at the moment, though. Maybe a jersey maxi dress. I got one from Dorothy Perkins online once and although it fit me while pregnant, I was able to wear it again after pregnancy without looking pregnant.

Frizziee Wed 17-May-17 16:43:43

There is an excellent Facebook group "Can I Breastfeed in it? UK" loads of reviews and pics.

hanloulou85 Wed 17-May-17 16:59:03

Thanks Blah, a wrap dress is a good shout. And I will definitely have a look at that fb group Frizziee

I suspect half of the problem is that because I'm still carrying about 2 stones too much weight, nothing I try on feels right. But can't see I'm going to rectify that in a month!

RedLemonade Wed 17-May-17 17:33:41

I'd go for a plungey style maybe but it depends on your boob size.

I've got something similar to this for a wedding in July that I need BF access for. I am small of nork however so planning on just sewing some discrete pads into the cup part to cover my BF Bullet-nipplesshock

http://m.asos.com/coast/coast-corwin-multi-tie-maxi-dress/prd/7642613?iid=7642613&clr=Navy&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=100&pge=1&totalstyles=392&gridsize=2&gridrow=37&gridcolumn=2

HeyMicky Wed 17-May-17 17:42:39

I found all the BF dresses were stretchy and showed every lump and bump.

With both DDs I had a wedding within three weeks of the birth. I wore a full tea length skirt and a loose silky vest top with a pretty cami underneath so I could pull the vest up and the cami down. Covered a multitude of sins, and wasn't too hot.

PetalMettle Wed 17-May-17 17:49:07

How about this? www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0117-5770-1185L00&productvarid=0117-5770-1185L00-FLAME-ORANGE-IV-8&refpage=dresses

TeddyIsaHe Wed 17-May-17 18:00:33

I wore this: m.asos.com/asos/asos-wrap-front-midi-pencil-dress-with-tie-detail/prd/7791823?iid=7791823&clr=Nude&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=100&pge=1&totalstyles=257&gridsize=2&gridrow=38&gridcolumn=2
to a wedding recently, I'm a similar proportion to you and it covered my tummy beautifully (with big pants to help!) plus it was super easy to breastfeed in, I wore it with a cream blazer to cover up a little more, but a wrap would work well and also give you a little privacy if you needed it.

MrsTwiddles Wed 17-May-17 18:21:38

What about a gorgeous skirt and a silky camisole that you can untuck and pull up to feed discreetly. Something like this https://www.elsiesattic.co.uk/product/bird-wire-midi-skirt/ with this top http://m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-tops-t-shirts/vests-camis/wa743-blk/womens-black-silk-cami?cmmmc=PLAA_Googlele--Women--_-WA743&istCompanyId=a40e1fa1-0635-4a1b-8d9a-2caa763eeee2&istItemId=xtlamamltt&istBid=xzat&gclid=CMnom4m499MCFYe_7QodJt8PYQ heels and a jacket?

Wreckingball25 Wed 17-May-17 21:14:34

I wore this to a wedding in April, size 12, so pretty and flattering
http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=7814079

hanloulou85 Wed 17-May-17 21:18:45

Thanks for the recommendations - very much appreciated. Teddy I have just ordered the nude dress, looks lovely, I already have a blazer that would go, and it isn't too pricey so I could stretch to some new shoes. Also like the idea of a skirt so am going to find some skirt/top combos. The post baby wardrobe is proving to be a faff when I have absolutely no intention of venturing into any kind of shopping centre with a newborn and a toddler!

WeeM Wed 17-May-17 21:45:43

I recommended this on a similar thread - I thought it looked good as there's so many ways you can wear it...
m.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/navy-multiway-maxi-dress-6533261

hanloulou85 Wed 17-May-17 22:11:08

That is a bit too close to the bridesmaids dresses - wouldn't want anyone to think I'd invited myself to be part of the bridal party!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now