Talk

Advanced search

Do Mannequins affect your decisions?

(11 Posts)
greengoose21 Tue 16-May-17 20:15:12

Hi all,

My friend and I are going to be having a monster ebay clearout of clothes - probably about 80 or so items between us. shock

When I see pictures of clothes on hangers against walls, they often look uninspiring - whereas stuff on mannequins gives you a better idea of what it looks like.

So can I ask you all - do you think that clothes displayed on a mannequin make you more likely to buy/pay a bit more. I can buy one for £20 - so if it increases the selling price of half of the items by just 50p, then I'd not have lost anything. What do you reckon?

greengoose21 Tue 16-May-17 20:16:35

I should say that DH thinks I am completely mad to spend £20 on a headless torso. I did point out that we could have great fun with it at Halloween wink

GreyVelvet Tue 16-May-17 22:44:35

Doesn't bother me. Things look different on everyone anyway

nut3lla Tue 16-May-17 22:47:39

My sister bought a really cheap plastic torso thing & sold really well on eBay. I think in life no term it's worth it as looks better. I think if you can model on yourself things do really well? Is that an option? Good luck I hate eBay - just had some stuff returned but funnily enough hasn't turned up here yet!

NashvilleQueen Tue 16-May-17 22:51:04

Another vote for you modelling (with head cropped out of pic of course). Much better idea of what it's actually like.

Bostin Tue 16-May-17 22:55:19

Absolutely it is helpful. Can't really tell from a dress on a hanger.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Tue 16-May-17 23:11:45

I actually find it a bit odd when somebody models the clothes themselves, probably because they don't usually look great in them.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Tue 16-May-17 23:17:09

I prefer to see clothes on a model or mannequin instead of just a hanger. Mainly coz I always say 'if it doesn't look good on them it ain't gonna look good one me' blush

Ponks Tue 16-May-17 23:20:03

Don't mind a mannequin as long as it is clean , have seen some manky horrors on eBay! I hate seeing clothes being worn by the seller, or even seeing their finger in a photo , gives me the creeps, I don't want to think about who has worn it before me.

greengoose21 Tue 16-May-17 23:26:46

I can't really model the clothes as I've lost weight so they'd look like potato sacks...hence I'm getting rid.

Reading comments (ugh...the finger confused) I think the mannequin is definitely worth the investment...I can always sell it on when I'm done with it.

ImaLannister Tue 16-May-17 23:54:45

I have a mannequin and I sell tons on eBay. I think it looks more professional. Get one of those dress maker ones. The ones where it's the upper body on a wooden stand. I've got a size 10-12 in that. I'm about to invest in another in a size 18-20. Looks tidier and gives buyer a good idea of how it will look on. Loads better than hanging on a hanger. It also pisses me off seeing things in the background. I have an eBay room, what I like to call my office! Rails, n rails of clothes, n shelving etc, and a plain white raised platform with white backdrop with my mannequin on. That's what I take all my pics on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now