Talk

Advanced search

Treating myself to a Lily...

(20 Posts)
IwantaPradabag Mon 15-May-17 20:53:23

What colour should I go for? Love the oak but am swayed by the oxblood too... What will I get more wear out of?

CantChoose Mon 15-May-17 21:50:52

Good choice, I love mine. I have an oak lily and an oxblood Bayswater. The oak is a bit more versatile and ages beautifully. I think the oxblood is more current but might date in a few years. Sorry, not helpful! But enjoy the bag!!

IwantaPradabag Mon 15-May-17 22:49:01

Thanks, apt username!

Jakadaal Mon 15-May-17 22:50:31

I have an oxblood Anthony and I love it - goes with anything. However am contemplating a lily but personally will go with classic black as it will be my ultimate black handbag (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

CaptainWentworth Mon 15-May-17 23:11:43

I have a black Lily- the only designer handbag I've ever bought at full price, and have never regretted it.

It is indeed the ultimate black handbag- looks just as good with a smart dress at a wedding as it does with skinny jeans and a leather jacket in the evening. I think it's the fact that you can wear the strap long or short that makes it so versatile. I've had mine 6 years and it still looks like new, although I do keep it in its dustbag.

Oxblood sounds lovely too, but I'm not so keen on the Lily (in particular) in oak as I think it takes away from the smart Chanel-ish vibe IYSWIM.

FriedPotato Tue 16-May-17 02:02:46

I'd say it depends on your general style. The oak I can see with a wardrobe that's a bit "brighter" and has more colour/patterns, whereas the oxblood feels more "winter-y" and IMO goes best with solid black and darker palettes.

rubybleu Tue 16-May-17 09:56:41

Ooh I'm interested in this thread.
What size Lily are you going for? I want a black standard size - I want a "everything" evening bag that, as someone says upthread, will go with a cocktail dress or jeans.

chloechloe Tue 16-May-17 11:46:03

They're both gorgeous versatile colours. I would say the oak is the more classic colour that will never date though.

I've been toying with buying a medium lily in oak for years. For those of you with the regular size do you not find it too small? (Admittedly I carry around a lot of crap!)

MooMinCow Tue 16-May-17 11:52:33

I love the oxblood colour but think it's more a more autumn/winter colour. Oak goes with everything but looks less 'smart' I dithered for ages and ended getting it from Bicester in the gold metallic mushroom here. It goes with everything, I can fit my phone, a small brolly and a small purse. I got a felt liner for it to protect the light coloured interior and to give it more structure

MinesaPinot Tue 16-May-17 13:58:52

MooMin that is one gorgeous bag in a lovely colour.

I have deep Handbag Envy envy

Dancergirl Tue 16-May-17 14:48:52

That's gorgeous moo

I have an Antony in Oak, it's a gorgeous classic colour.

LittleMysMoominMamma Tue 16-May-17 14:58:21

There's a bit of a Lily loving Moomin theme to this thread grin I have the regular size Lily in black, and the medium in oxblood.

I love both, but I do find the regular size a little too small, so tend to use it for an occasion or evening bag, it is very versatile in the black though.

The oxblood is more of a winter colour, although it really depends on what you wear it with I suppose. I don't think the colour itself will date, its pretty much a classic. Similarly, I've always liked the oak, but thought I'd only end up using it in the summer... with British summer time, that might not be too often!

In conclusion, you probably need more than one grin

Dancergirl Tue 16-May-17 16:31:32

Damn it, I want a Lily now! Have you decided about colour OP?

MooMinCow Tue 16-May-17 16:49:09

grin at MooMin Lily love

I tried the larger size on but the proportions just looked wrong on me (especially when worn cross body). The bag style is unstructured so if it's not full it will kind of collapse onto itself (unless you use a bag liner), so would only look good if you stuff it full of things (which combined with the weight of the chain strap could make it uncomfortable?)

BlackSwan79 Tue 16-May-17 19:37:16

I have a black regular Lily and love it. It's great as an evening bag and as mentioned upthread also great with jeans. I want the mini in metallic mushroom next.

AgathaMystery Tue 16-May-17 20:14:39

Has anyone had any problems with the straps?

The leather in mine snapped after 2 weeks - sent it back - got a new strap, it snapped after 8 months. That time a refused a new one and got an Alexa instead.

RealHousewifeOfPontypandy Tue 16-May-17 22:06:13

It's me, the OP!

Well now I want a black one too! I do wear lots of dark colours and for such an investment bag I think the black or oxblood is the way to go.....

LittleMysMoominMamma Tue 16-May-17 22:19:47

Ha ha, if you're really from Pontypandy OP, my advice would be to call in to HOF in Cardiff to select the right Lily. Whichever colour you go for, every one is slightly different, so worth checking all they have in stock grin

Dancergirl Thu 18-May-17 13:40:07

Have your bought your bag yet OP??

RealHousewifeOfPontypandy Thu 18-May-17 23:38:49

No because I saw a lily in clay and love that too now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now