Talk

Advanced search

cartilage piercing - advice please

(22 Posts)
runner2 Mon 15-May-17 17:00:40

DD has pierced ears but only lobe piercing; now she wants a cartilage piercing. She says she wants it done with a needle rather than a gun as she has heard it's less painful, but I'm concerned about hygiene. The beauty salon she has used before will only do it with a gun and as I trust them there I reckon there must be a good reason for that! The only places advertising piercing with a needle are tattoo salons, which I'm a bit dubious about. Can anyone advise, please?

MOIST Mon 15-May-17 17:03:31

Never do cartilage with a gun. It can shatter it and she'll end up with ears like a rugby player.
Tattoo places are best. Get a local recommendation.

Gallavich Mon 15-May-17 17:04:22

She must go to a piercing shop. Their hygiene levels will be impeccable and using a gib for cartilage is poor practice

Gallavich Mon 15-May-17 17:04:43

Gun

DaisyBD Mon 15-May-17 17:05:52

do not under any circumstances allow anyone to use a gun to pierce cartilage (or anything, for that matter). A good piercing studio will always use a needle for piercing. A gun (1) cannot be sterilised so there is a greater risk of infection and (2) smashes up your cartilage and risks causing permanent damage.

NotEvenListening Mon 15-May-17 17:07:01

Guns cause alot of trauma to the piercing site because the studs are no where near sharp enough. I would strongly advise against any piercing being done using a gun.

Jbck Mon 15-May-17 17:08:12

DD15 just had hers done a few weeks ago and I was so impressed with everything especially their hygiene I got a tragus piercing a couple of weeks later.

They were really good and helped manage the pain talking her through it and using breathing techniques. Very positive experience.

Jbck Mon 15-May-17 17:09:31

If you give a rough area maybe people could recommend somewhere as thats what I did, asked a few people with piercings for advice.

MrsJayy Mon 15-May-17 17:10:22

Hairdresser did mine about 20years ago she had a piercer qualification she did it with the needle take her to a peircer

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 15-May-17 17:10:53

Having a piercing done with a needle is definitely less painful than with a gun so your DD is right there. The studs used with guns aren't properly sharp and particularly with cartilage can do a lot of damage as they're brute-forced through.

Needles are also more precise, safer and more hygienic than guns. The vast majority of places that use guns still use plastic ones and although the bit that touches the ear is a disposable cartridge, the main body of the gun cannot be properly sterilised so the person doing it is touching that unsterilised gun, the piercee's ears, the disposable cartridge.......

Definitely find a decent piercing studio who will do it properly with a needle rather than a gun.

MrsJayy Mon 15-May-17 17:12:01

Dd has a few bits of her ear pierced and always goes to a tattoo shop that has a piercer (sp)

Petalbird Mon 15-May-17 17:16:25

Tattoo studios and needles 100% all 3 of mine where needle done and have healed well I presume your daughter knows it's a 2year plus healing process and that they will get infected and painful in that time no matter what you do?

NeverGoOutOfStyle Mon 15-May-17 17:17:24

do not under any circumstances allow anyone to use a gun to pierce anything full stop! They cannot be cleaned properly and are not the safest way to pierce, even ear lobes! It causes blunt force trauma to the area and can cause serious issues with healing and it's much much more painful. Don't let someone in a beauty salon with a piercing gun pierce anything, ever.

I've had my lobes pierced with a gun before and had no end of bother and finally decided to get them done properly and it was such a different experience, healing with much quicker and easier. I have a number of cartilage piercings (and other piercings too) and the fact we still allow piercing guns makes me shudder, please let her go and get it done in a piercing or tattoo studios where they will do it properly.

NeverGoOutOfStyle Mon 15-May-17 17:18:27

@Petalbird They shouldn't get infected! None of mine have ever gotten infected while they were healing, and it should only take around a year to heal.

ImCatbug Mon 15-May-17 17:26:11

Tattoo and piercing studios will be 100% more hygienic than beauty salons, as they sterilise everything in autoclave machines and don't re-use needles.
Piercing guns cannot be sterilised as they are plastic and it would melt from the heat, so they are incredibly unsanitary, even the one time use ones. The impact from a gun traumatises the tissue, even in lobe piercings, and can cause no end of problems with healing, and can shatter cartilage completely. Needles are the only thing that should be used for piercing, full stop.

Heihei Mon 15-May-17 19:52:34

I agree with the above. When I was a teen I had my lobes pierced at a salon with a gun. Recently I fancied a new piercing and visited a tattoo and piercing parlour a friend recommended. The piercing was done with a needle and it was a much better experience. The whole procedure was carried out with complete professionalism and was extremely hygienic to, I'd say, clinical standard. My piercing (cartilage) healed really well and was far less painful. I've been back and had my lobes done again and my nose done, I can't imagine being pierced by a gun now.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 15-May-17 20:11:30

How old is your DD runner ?

My DD is nearly 15yo. She got a helix but I had to search a bit to find somewhere that would do it.
Some areas (we tried Metalmorphosis as it was recommended) won't pierce under 18 even with parental consent.

I went to a Tattooist that has been local for years (I had my tattoo done there 23 years ago and I'm fine grin ). They gave me details of the piercer.

Sterile everything.
Needle to pierce. DD didn't feel a thing (except hear the crispy sound of the cold spray) they used a 'clamp' to secure her ear.

I took her because then I had control of where she went (I was worried she'd find some dodgy place. I'm sure there are places less diligent)

She's had it changed (at Metalmorphosis) to a gold plated titanium bar (very pretty) and 'Touch Wood' all ok.

You need the LITHA (Leave It the Hell Alone) method to heal. She sprayed it with salt water and dabbed dry. No fiddling or twisting. just make sure no hair gets caught.

If she gets it done, get it done right smile

runner2 Mon 15-May-17 20:17:48

Goodness, I'm so glad I asked! Thanks so much everyone, I'd never have known guns were such a no-no but she will definitely avoid now and have a needle piercing. She has exams coming up and I also now think it would be sensible to wait till after they're finished, just in case of discomfort afterwards... We live in North Herts - if anyone has any recommendations for where to go in our area I'd be very glad to hear from you smile

FunkinEll Mon 15-May-17 20:18:12

I've had a tragus piercing recently and the hygiene is second to none. The piercer even wore a mask over her nose and mouth.

It's not true that you'll get an infection either although I have suffered with granulomas with my nose piercing. The piercer I mentioned above (she didn't do my nose though) said that noses are like toddler and super fussy to heal.

What I've been amazed at since having my tragus and nose done with needles is how little it hurts compared to the numerous times I had gun piercings as a child/ teenager.

Where in the country are you? I would thoroughly recommend the woman who did my tragus if you are anywhere near me (West-ish London).

runner2 Mon 15-May-17 20:19:05

Sorry, forgot to say DD is 17...

queencerulean Mon 15-May-17 20:19:48

Definitely do it with a needle and with a professional piercer. How old is she as a a lot of piercing/tattoo places have age limits. I found it pretty painless having it done but my goodness the pain afterwards if you accidently touch it or get hair caught in it is hideous. 7 months on and mines not completely healed (was advised a year) and will often get gunky or bleed when I change it.

Sciurus83 Mon 15-May-17 20:52:35

Definitely go to a tattoo parlour. My cartilage piercing was done with a gun and it has never not been a bit sore (over 10 years layer!). Thinking about some more and a professional tattoo parlour is the only way to go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now