Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear a black linen dress to the tennis?

(23 Posts)
conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 18:33:49

Queens that is?

I have a lovely classic fitted black linen dress I would like to wear - knee length, lovely swooping v neckline, sleeveless. Jaeger from many moons ago pre dcs which was the last time I got invited to anything good

It's v summery, but tennis? Not sure if it'll work or how to style it or how to do anything technological beyond logging onto MN hence no photo But it's v flattering and gorgeous confused

Unlikely to be doing much on the social circuit for a few years so would ideally like to avoid spending money I could be blowing on holidays on floaty dresses and shoes...

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 18:40:51

Oh go on then. But it's really much nicer IRL, much more fitted.

robinia Sun 14-May-17 18:42:26

Of course you can. Perfect.

robinia Sun 14-May-17 18:43:45

Put it with light colour accessories if you want a more summery look.

tissuesosoft Sun 14-May-17 18:45:26

It's lovely! Is the belt detachable? Could always change the colour or go without. Pair of flats and a kimono (or similar style) over the top incase of bad weather and it'll be fine! I would even wear a denim jacket and white tennis shoes with it

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 18:51:52

Oh good grin The style ladies like my dress!

Yes, belt is detachable, a sort of cummerbund thing.

Any styling advice really greatly appreciated. Not sure I have shoes...

tissuesosoft Sun 14-May-17 19:59:37

Flat ballets, block heels or wedges would go well with the dress. Maybe in a nude, pale gold or even bright, depending on what you're wearing over it and the accessories. I think without the belt though

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 20:11:17

I need to get something to wear over it and shoes. And I'd rather spend a bit more on those things and get stuff I can wear again. So versatile and classic/mid range expensive rather than one wear stuff.

I quite like these lk Bennett heels but might be a bit too 'court shoe' not a tennis pun

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/shoes-and-boots/lk-bennett-floret-closed-courts/d737718.pd#253222433&_$ja=tsid:91443|cid:707092282|agid:42481138532|tid:aud-178727286286:pla-301077671456|crid:195080557648|nw:g|rnd:8674823600174701109|dvc:m|adp:1o6|mt:

LockedOutOfMN Sun 14-May-17 20:15:05

It's absolutely fine, OP, and a very nice dress. You will need sunglasses and I recommend a hat so you don't get sunburned. Also something to cover up if it gets colder later on. Comfortable shoes as there's more walking and standing than you'd think (heels are fine, though, as long as not agony to wear for a long and possibly got day).

bojorojo Sun 14-May-17 21:05:19

I think a cream cardi is just right with the dress. You could try a copped jacket. Are you in hospitality or just a seat? Take a straw Panama hat rather than an enormous floppy that will annoy the person behind you! A cream and black outfit always works.

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 21:39:02

Hospitality I think... I'm a bit vague (that may be a general statement...) Cream and black sounds nice.

Cropped as in waist length not bolero right? I keep veering over into wedding territory, not sure if I am aiming for slightly-less-done-up-than-the-races-ish?

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 21:49:25

this jacket would be lovely with it, I think. Maybe over budget.

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 21:50:10

(without the belt)

RedMetamorphosis Sun 14-May-17 21:56:09

I'd go for the dress with metallic heels and this jacket.

bojorojo Sun 14-May-17 22:00:24

There is an article in the Sunday Times today about 'No No Bolero' so that's a no then! Even if it is hospitality it is smart casual so not wedding! That's why a cardigan is fine - obviously a good one! As the dress is flared a shorter length jacket works well. You may be able to find a mix of cream and black and I did see an interesting pale blue/black mix jacket in Cos yesterday. I haven't looked at Massimo Duti but they do great clothes.

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 22:05:17

How about these, in the same finish as you linked OP?

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 22:13:47

I looked at those sandals but ankle straps are a no no (along with the bolero!) Not wedded to those shoes in any way but I do need something versatile for £150+

Skirt is pencillish on in actual fact - rather than a flare. The linen jacket is v nice - does double linen work? And will check out the slouchy river island one too.

Maybe I need to do JL or HoF shopper appointment. I am a bit time poor...

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 22:15:21

Aiming casual sounds like good advice though. I think I have been thinking smarter than I need to.

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 22:23:59

yy double linnen is good. Ideal really, linen is a hard fabric to mix.

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 22:32:23

Heres the jigsaw j acket styled with different clothes. I do think it's a smart casual cut.

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 22:43:39

Yeah I like that and it ticks the versatile box so I can justify a bit more money. Will definitely try it 😊

What have I got on my feet? grin

MrsLettuce Sun 14-May-17 22:51:36

Mmm. I love these but only a 3 left. Might something along those lines appeal?

conserveisposhforjam Sun 14-May-17 23:20:18

Yes I like those grin. You are doing sterling work here halo

I do have brown snakeskin-y slightly platformy sandals with a wooden sole/heel. But probably wouldn't work with cream/black theme.

Who made clothes so bloody difficult anyway? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now