Talk

Advanced search

My 40th birthday party HELP ME!

(19 Posts)
Teaandsymphony Sun 14-May-17 14:00:27

In short; I'm 40 & want a killer dress for my party in June that makes me feel fab. I've been looking online for months & even at previous MN posts on this subject, can't find anything I like or is appropriate (I generally struggle with clothes shopping... don't have the stamina). PLEASE TAKE PITY ON ME AND HELP!

I am a size 12/14, big boobs, hourglass, solid bum/thighs/legs... the internets and Gok Wan inform me that I need a v neck, midi/knee length dress. Ideally one that covers my arms or with at least has some sort of sleeve as my arms are on the chunky side. Party is in June, indoors so I'm thinking knee length.

Would be forever grateful for any inspiration... or should I take myself for a style consultation at a department store? Are they any good?

Please help a style numpty! confused blush

T&S x

user1468843101 Sun 14-May-17 15:47:13

I wore this one to my 40th birthday party last August and I'm the same shape and size as you!

Would definitely recommend a stylish at John Lewis though; I've used before for other occasions and they were brilliant!

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/women/eliza-j-tiered-lace-dress-with-waist-tie/d650990.pd#235995290

margaritasbythesea Sun 14-May-17 18:02:33

Budget and colours?

Have you looked at the bombshell by Katya whatsername ones that are often linked to on here?

What colours do you like?

Would you contemplate sleeveless with a thin jacket over?

Gah81 Sun 14-May-17 19:22:41

Nancy Mac do some great stuff for hourglasses (I am one too!). Also Baukjen do some fabulous jersey dresses.

RedMetamorphosis Sun 14-May-17 21:49:03

I'm a 12 hourglass and have just bought this

It is so flattering. No sleeves though.

Donttakemeout Sun 14-May-17 23:48:16

Have a look on saint bustier

FauxFox Mon 15-May-17 00:00:16

What's your style? Boho? Vintage? Preppy? Bodeny? Plain? It's hard to narrow the search from your post...also your hair colour would help...and budget... what was/is your favourite item of clothing you've ever owned? Can be anything at all you've loved wearing - That will really help me suggest something you might like 😊

Teaandsymphony Mon 15-May-17 13:50:38

OMG I love these dresses you've all suggested, thank you thank you thank you... I did have a Baukjen dress that I wore to death but I've never heard of these designers Katya Wildman and Saint Bustier. Amazing, wouldn't mind looking like Nigella!

Any more suggestions very gratefully received... as I said... style numpty. Sorry for the vagueness. I'm prepared to pay up to about £300 but more for the right dress. I'm white with brown hair and pale skin that tends to look sallow. Bright colours suit me I think, pale lilac is my worst nightmare. I'm generally quite jeans and tshirt-y but no statement style. I've just discovered Collectif which I love, otherwise I'm pretty high street/supermarket chic hangs head I want to look fabulous, with a cool egde but like I'm ageing gracefully... hmm easy surely sobs

Teaandsymphony Mon 15-May-17 13:52:50

Gah81 sorry I managed to miss your post... Nancy Mac looks awesome thanks! back to her website

Gah81 Mon 15-May-17 14:06:26

If you like Collectif, also take a look at House of Foxy and in particular their Mansfield dress; I have one in every colour (size down as it's quite stretchy) and it never, ever fails to get compliments/free drinks from men and women.

I haven't seen it irl but this looks as if it could be flattering on an hourglass, maybe with a beautiful kimono jacket worn over it?

Teaandsymphony Tue 16-May-17 10:56:31

Thank you Gah and Remus, excellent tips. I was considering a kimono but not sure...

You've all posted some brilliant options I hadn't considered so thank you!!!! flowers

Oblomov17 Tue 16-May-17 11:05:55

Could you get to a Debenhams? I booked an hours personal shopper. Free.

But in the hour before I saw her, I mentioned to one of the young girls in the changing rooms, that I was actually looking for a dress for ds2's Holy Communion. She worked tirelessly and bought me over 30 dresses to try on. I ended up with this. £90. She was brilliant.

I am similar size and shape to you. And then the personal shopper saw said dress, said it was a beautiful fit, very flattering, and then proceeded to bring me all the matching shoes, cardigan etc.

Any help?

Teaandsymphony Tue 16-May-17 13:56:28

Ah thanks Oblomov, what a gorgeous outfit! Looks very pulled together, see this is the thing I generally don't manage to pull off and tend towards bag lady. And £90 is a bargain!

I wasn't sure whether to go to John Lewis or Debenhams so that's great to know.

Oblomov17 Tue 16-May-17 15:33:18

Me too OP, useless as 'accessorising', never ever would have chosen red court shoes or a red cardy to go with that dress, that's why JL or Debenhams shoppers are brill. I was a bit sceptical before, oh they'll look down on an uncouth me, I'll have to buy everything they recommend..... but it wasn't like that at all. The JL lady and the Debenhams lady were brill. At least worth considering?

val4 Tue 16-May-17 18:31:54

Sorry cant do links but for my 40th I wore dress from " Pretty Dress Company."(on line). I'm a size 14, hourglass shape and got the 'bombshell ' dress in red( I have dark hair). Everyone loved it and I felt wonderful(eventually!)

val4 Tue 16-May-17 18:34:21

Sorry, it was 'The Wiggle' dress!!!

Teaandsymphony Wed 17-May-17 18:10:33

Oblomov that's so good to know - I currently feel like you did about the whole style advice business. I've made time to go next week smile

Ooo I LOVE that Wiggle dress Val... pauses to look at it again and dream but maybe with a bit more sleeve. Or a jacket hmmmm...

God I love Mumsnet - had no idea about some of these websites/designers. I would've still been drinking wine and crying over the John Lewis website unless I'd posted! confused wine flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now