Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Everyday tops that aren't t-shirts or polyester?

(10 Posts)
Emphasise Sat 13-May-17 22:29:39

I need tops to go under s suit/with trousers or a skirt for work. A cotton t-shirt isn't smart enough and most "nice" tops, even quite expensive ones, seem to be polyester, which is like wearing a plastic bag!

Silk would be OTT for where I work, smart but not executive smart IYSWIM, even if I wanted to spend the cash and could manage the laundry. Cotton shirts for women are few and far between and often fairly casual in style. What does everyone else wear?

9GreenBottles Sat 13-May-17 22:31:14

Try TM Lewin for smart shirts.

Boden Ravello are nice, but I wouldn't pay full price for them. Otherwise I tend to just wear plain black t-shirts and replace them fairly frequently.

KatherinaMinola Sat 13-May-17 22:38:14

Gap is reliable for inexpensive cotton and linen shirts - styled casually on the website but very suitable for work with smart trousers.

WindwardCircle Sat 13-May-17 22:41:46

Monsoon might be worth a try, they don't usually use polyester and their stuff is mostly semi smart.

oddthing Sat 13-May-17 22:42:16

Uniqlo

Acornantics Sun 14-May-17 10:42:12

If you have the time/patience for TKMaxx, there are often lovely 100% cotton shirts on the rails.

Sometimes names like Thomas Pink, TMLewin, Jaegar etc, but often less well known labels in quirky but still smart designs.

purpleshortcake Sun 14-May-17 10:44:24

I'm waiting for some to arrive that I've ordered from the fab Zalando App. A mixture of brands so I'll feed back on quality! I agree the shops are full of static polyester patterns this year ...

hollieberrie Sun 14-May-17 10:45:40

I wear linen tshirts like this which i feel comfy in and are a bit smarter. My work dress code is quite relaxed though.
www.whistles.com/women/sale/tops/classic-linen-t-shirt-23631.html

purpleshortcake Sun 14-May-17 10:54:40

On another similar thread someone recommend Massimo Dutti. I must admit I fell for one of their silk shirts and ordered it which is probably OTT for what you need but they have cotton shirts too and the quality is fantastic https://www.massimodutti.com/gb/women/shirts-%26-blouses/view-all-c911173.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now