Talk

Advanced search

Toe nail help!!!!

(15 Posts)
Joanne1945 Sat 13-May-17 21:52:07

1 and a half years ago I accident dropped a sofa on my toe whilst trying to move furniture around! It hurt a lot! I'm struggling to know what to do... I have been looking after my nail and painting it to make it look better but it has now lifted and due to showering daily it seems to have softened underneath the nail and broken off yet again. I like to wear sandals in summer but this just looks horrible! Any advice on how to get it to heal? Xx

BillywigSting Sat 13-May-17 21:53:56

That looks painful, I'd take that to a doctor

MythicalChicken Sun 14-May-17 07:37:11

File it down then get a set of acrylic/gel toenails done at your local beauty salon. It will look the same as all the others.

SprinkleOfInsanity Sun 14-May-17 08:14:19

Looks like a fungal infection has got in there. Go to the doctor to get specific antibiotics, as most of the OTC treatments are shit.

Mooey89 Sun 14-May-17 08:16:10

I agree. Doc, anti fungal, once sorted, acrylic toenail for the summer.

leighdinglady Sun 14-May-17 08:43:26

Stop painting it and take a clipping to the gp. You'll likely get antifungal tablets. I had the same on my finger. It was vile and had been awful for years. The tablets sorted it in the time it took to grow out

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-May-17 09:20:54

If the GP won't give you tablets for some reason there's an acrylic system designed to rebuild it called Wilde pedique.

EatsLeavesAndShit Sun 14-May-17 13:44:15

I found the only thing that cured my fungal toenail I'd had for 15 years was this Boots fungal nail thing

You have to cut your nail, then file the top of the nail to make it rough so the antifungal can get in. It really works. I heard the pills from the doctor were bad for your liver, so you'd have to have regular liver function tests. Best to try this first.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-May-17 14:11:00

They're not bad for livers anymore than flucloxacillin is bad for your liver ie a small percentage of patients have reported it as a side effect & you need to be aware of it.

They are £60 a month though. For at least 12 months, more if your older. Flucloxacillin is probably way under £5 for 5 days.

That why the liver failure thing is trotted out by gp's. If they were that dangerous they wouldn't be on the market.

I have noticed retired gp's get prescribed them & take them for as long as needed.

There is a different one now called sporanex pulse that you have breaks in similar to the pill.

WhereTheFuckIsElsa Sun 14-May-17 14:13:37

Fluconazole is one of the best antifungals for stuff like this. They are not bad for the liver if they are not continuous my 5yo had to have it and his liver is fine
OP go to GP for prescription

Primotomb Sun 14-May-17 19:27:07

This may sound really random, but Vicks vapour rub, rubbed into the nail morning and night has really worked for me. I read about it on here and was really sceptical but thought it was worth a go. I've been doing it now for about three months now and have a good amount of healthy nail growing through. I'm determined to keep it up until the nail has fully grown out. It's really helped with the appearance of the infected part too, it's much less yellow and has really thinned out. The infection had been in the whole of my big toe nail for over 18 months so this is a real achievement

BobbinThreadbare123 Sun 14-May-17 19:30:01

That's fungal. I managed to get rid of mine with tea tree oil, dropped neat onto the nail and rubbed in.

BettySmut Mon 15-May-17 07:54:36

It does look fungal. I currently have 3 nails with fungal infections (so glamorous) and have been using Excilor for ages which does work.

However, I recently started using colloidal silver on them and within 4 days the discolouration has gone. It's absolutely incredible.

FloatyCat Mon 15-May-17 20:58:04

Yes it looks like a fungal nail. Do not cross infect your other nails by using same clippers & nail varnish on non-infected toes.
I had a severe infection and terbinafine tablets were the only thing that cleared it.

WindyWednesday Mon 15-May-17 21:19:13

Vicks vapour rub. Every day rub it in and it will grow back healthy and normal. Worked for my awful fungus, I had tried the fungal nail stuff you paint on for a year. Then gave up as it was so expensive and not working. Read on here about Vicks and thought I'd give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now