Talk

Advanced search

Avoiding cut heels - gel heel socks?

(11 Posts)
Bejazzled Sat 13-May-17 16:21:25

I frequently get cut heels, particularly in the summer being sockless. I have Sketchers for doing a lot of walking on holiday but even these rub, so I need a trainer sock that comes up high enough to protect that area. Has anyone tried these gel heel socks

rizlett Sat 13-May-17 16:25:57

I don't know about those gel heel socks but have you tried using vaseline daily on your heels to help keep the skin soft and supple?

I'm assuming its the skin splitting at base of your heels which is the problem?

Spam88 Sat 13-May-17 16:31:00

Haven't tried those but I use the little gel heel inserts that you stick in your shoes. Scholl do them, but Home Bargains used to do some really cheap (no idea if they still do).

HemiDemiSemiquaver Sat 13-May-17 16:31:32

Not tried those specific ones, but something similar - I found that the gel disintegrated from the friction/heat of walking.

But I'd be interested to hear if these do help blisters.

They don't really look like they'd fit in summer shoes, but maybe in Sketchers.

Bejazzled Sat 13-May-17 16:33:30

Not Vaseline but I do use a foot cream (scholl maybe), but the big problem is the top of the heel close to the calf. I think it must be an odd shape as I always have problems with shoes rubbing even if they fit perfectly everywhere else.

Bejazzled Sat 13-May-17 16:35:30

hemi yes, it says on the advert they are suitable in place of trainer socks so should be ok for sketchers I think. I'll order one pair and see how they go.

specialsubject Sat 13-May-17 17:17:17

What is cutting your heels? Crap shoes?

cinders15 Sat 13-May-17 17:26:59

I'm a type 1 diabetic, so have annual podiatry checks. Last time she said that I didn't have hard skin on my heels (which I thought), but cracked heels - she asked what I wore around the house - slippers? and I said flip-flops. She said that was why - the cracking was caused by intermittent slapping to the bottom to my foot!
Although I moisturise, she said to try Flexitol foot balm and wear slippers - worked a treat! Except now my husband pinches the flexitol .... grin

Bejazzled Sat 13-May-17 17:49:53

specialsubject I only wear 'good' shoes that fit well, I can only imagine how bad it would be if I was to wear crap shoes. As I mentioned, my heels (the Achilles part) are problematic (seem to stick out)

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 13-May-17 18:57:10

http://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk/compeed-foot-care-anti-blister-stick.html?gclid=CIemi8K47dMCFWsq0wodhKMJhw

This stuff is great.

Bejazzled Sat 13-May-17 20:02:16

Thanks lady I've ordered that as well 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now