Talk

Advanced search

Please help dress me for Italy!

(12 Posts)
bitofabelly Sat 13-May-17 10:10:44

Ladies, looking for some help...so we will be on holidays in Italy this summer...2 weeks, mixture of Rome and more relaxed Tuscany.

I want to look nice but comfy for lots of walking...it's going to be hot...so need airy clothes.

I'm a size 12...good legs...arms not too bad.. tummy area not great....what types of pants / tops etc could I get that would look good. Don't want to wear short shorts....Aline skirts are a better fit for my shape....I don't mind spending money on good quality, great fitting clothes. Where can I get harem pants or something like that which doesn't make my arse look saggy? Any particular stores you would send me to?

Thanks in advance

Ktown Sat 13-May-17 10:11:42

Summer black
Check out the sartorialist Italian bit
Chic black sunglasses too!

Rosa Sat 13-May-17 10:16:42

not black ...too hot especially in Rome. I would go for cotton and linen - light layers take a light cotton scarf / sarong to wrap round shoulders when going in churches- comfy pumps for walking . Maybe cotton cullotes or wide legged 3/4 long line loose vest style ( I have a couple in linen that are simple cut , no fuss and then don't crease)- I bought them in Italy though !!

App1eCakes Sat 13-May-17 10:41:54

The thing about black is: the sweat marks don't show. I would go for natural fabrics too.

And if you're planning on visiting the Vatican (enormous queues though) then make sure knees and shoulders are covered - there were street hawkers there the last time I went, selling scarves for covering up.

Swimminguphill Sat 13-May-17 13:10:23

Rome is hotter than Hades in July/August even at night. Harem pants would be ridiculously hot I think. Linen trousers are always good, although they get so crumpled on me. Also light chambray might work, floaty cotton gypsy blouses. Nothing that will cling. Maybe nice billowy maxi dresses. Comfy flat sandals a must, I don't think I could bear closed toe sandals. Gah just remembering the heat! If hits you like an oven in the middle of the day do try to do sightseeing in the early morning and late afternoon. Some of the nicest places ,Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi are best seen at night when it is cooler and they are beautifully lit up.

metalmum15 Sat 13-May-17 13:36:17

We went to Rome in August, it was 45 degrees in the shade! Definitely anything light, floaty and billowy. And a sunhat. I don't normally like them but it was essential in the sun. As pp said, do most outdoor things in the morning or evening. We did the Coliseum in the afternoon and our enjoyment was spoilt by the fact we spent most of the time fighting for the only shady spots!

metalmum15 Sat 13-May-17 13:36:20

We went to Rome in August, it was 45 degrees in the shade! Definitely anything light, floaty and billowy. And a sunhat. I don't normally like them but it was essential in the sun. As pp said, do most outdoor things in the morning or evening. We did the Coliseum in the afternoon and our enjoyment was spoilt by the fact we spent most of the time fighting for the only shady spots!

Madbengalmum Sat 13-May-17 13:40:18

Black?? In Rome, in the summer heat no,no. Something light coloured, natural fibres and loose fitting. Unless you want to rock the italian widow look!

Swimminguphill Sat 13-May-17 14:08:29

A tip for the Vatican museum which worked when I went, although not in height of summer... Go 30 mins before closing (no queues) ignore all the old statues and go straight to the Sistine chapel which will be emptying by then and stare at it for the full 30 mins then leave. Worked like a charm for me and one of the most amazing things I ever saw. Also Villa Borghese gallery is in the middle of a park (the villa Borghese!) so a bit less hellish than other tourist sites in the middle of the day - but only slightly!

Greenvalleymama Sat 13-May-17 18:34:32

A huge lightweight straw hat is a must, and a light coloured pashmina/ shawl type thing.

I wore lots of maxi dresses and skirts in Sorrento, which I would imagine is similar heat-wise. And drank a lot inside, out of the midday sun!

I also have some very light jersey printed trousers (Tu I think) and they were great too, as I hate shorts. I wore them with a plain vest top.

I did bake though. I expect I would have baked whatever I'd worn...

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-May-17 20:21:49

Wide brimmed hat, very comfortable walking sandals. Bikinis if your hotels have pools. Shorts with lightweight vest tops or lightweight dresses. A dress down to or over knees or loose trousers for the Vatican and, as others have said, bring a big scarf for wrapping around yourself at night time and in places where you can't have bare shoulders.

Cross body handbag with zips.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-May-17 20:24:37

caqui These kinds of trousers are nice with a light sleeveless top and sandals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now