Talk

Advanced search

avoiding the horror of hotel hairdryer.. .

(36 Posts)
witwootoodleoo Sat 13-May-17 08:59:39

I travel a fair bit for work and find the quality of hairdryers in hotels to be really hit and miss.

All I want is something reasonably powerful with variable heat control so that I look slightly less like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards.

My hairdryer at home is ace but too heavy to take along with all my other crap.

Can anyone recommend a decent travel or lightweight hairdryer please? Must have variable heat control.

Thanks!

Whisky2014 Sat 13-May-17 09:01:45

And half of them are missing the nozzle! I just take my home hairdryer around with me. It knows me best :D

tissuesosoft Sat 13-May-17 09:02:08

This one is great. Powerful and dries my hair quickly (I have very very thick wavy hair)

tissuesosoft Sat 13-May-17 09:03:20

Info about it

witwootoodleoo Sat 13-May-17 09:06:47

Don't get me started on the nozzle Whisky....

witwootoodleoo Sat 13-May-17 09:07:29

Thanks Tissue... very cheap too

tissuesosoft Sat 13-May-17 09:08:13

That's okay. The price is amazing for how good it is, I was very surprised!

witwootoodleoo Sat 13-May-17 09:09:37

I'm glad you said that as I was wondering how good something that cheap could be!

RockNRollNerd Sat 13-May-17 12:05:29

Hotels do my head in over this stuff. It's one of those areas that screams 'we still assume all our business travellers are men' specifically, in addition to the hair dryers

- crap lighting, occasionally you'll get a decent swing out mirror in the bathroom with built in light but that's rare. I've got into work a few times and had to redo makeup in the ladies

- 1 big towel and one teeny hand towel that you can't wrap your hair in

I used to stay regularly at one particular hotel and ended up having a long conversation with the manager - they did sort the towels out going forward and he promised he'd try to get hairdryers sorted the next time they were replaced. Sadly there's not a lot they could do about the lighting.

SpainToday Sat 13-May-17 12:11:29

...... and a huge mirror nowhere near any form of socket. Making hair styling a real challenge!

rubybleu Sat 13-May-17 12:16:52

You can add: 4 star+ hotels who put out limited toiletries with a twee card "call us if you need XYZ". I don't have 15 minutes to wait for a plastic shower cap, thankyouverymuch.

RockNRollNerd Sat 13-May-17 13:01:15

SpainToday - oh god yes, especially if it's one of the really crappy 'wired-into-the-drawer' hair dryers. I'm reasonably tall and a couple of times have had to sit down to dry my hair using one of those as the cables are so flippin' short.

witwootoodleoo Sat 13-May-17 13:11:14

And hotels that give you shampoo but no conditioner. Or worse yet just "conditioning shampoo". Clearly a man's handywork

MinesaPinot Sun 14-May-17 13:41:07

I'm another one who hates hotel hairdryers. I swear to god I'd do better with DH standing behind me just blowing on my hair to dry it than use some of the crappy "dryers" that they provide.

So, I always take my own GHD, although the Tresemme one looks v. well priced Tissues so may have to investigate.

I also cannot understand why hotels don't automatically provide shower caps, body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. Having said that, the hotel I stayed in at Easter did have a little pack that had a shower cap and a pony tail band which was great, because I forgot mine....

I take a small microfibre towel for when I do my hair - folds down really small and packs in one of those small roll-up vac bags.

Makes me so mad though, that men are really well catered for - DH travels with a bag the size of a postage stamp as he'll use whatever a hotel provide, and yet I've got to lug more stuff than I need because they just don't seem to be able to get it right.

And don't get me started about lighting, plug sockets etc.....

Sciurus83 Sun 14-May-17 14:44:24

The plug sockets! EVERYONE reads their phone in bed, why are there no sockets by the bed?!

AuditAngel Sun 14-May-17 14:53:05

I don't read my phone in bed, as I prefer my kindle, but the last time I was away I couldn't switch the lights off from the bed, now that's fine at home as I know he layout of my room, but in a hotel, I'd prefer to leave a lamp on, the turn it off from the bed.

Skyllo30 Sun 14-May-17 16:41:45

I have a Babyliss one where the handle folds down to make it more compact. It's 2000 watts so really powerful but doesn't have separate heat/speed settings - it's cool and slow or hot and fast.

SaladDressing Sun 14-May-17 16:59:18

This drives me mad. I travel a lot for work and recognise all of these things - no mirror near a plug socket, no plug sockets, trying to dry hair with a hopeless dryer in the (now steamy) bathroom, a 12" cable attached to a drawer meaning that you pretty much have to put your head in the drawer to dry it, and the ones where you have to keep your thumb pressed on the button to make it work.

I take my Babyliss Big Hair with me as it's slightly lighter than a dryer. I will use whatever 'hairdryer' is provided to dry off the worst and then style it with my BBH.

bingohandjob Sun 14-May-17 18:12:27

I take my Big Hair because as everyone says, without fail, the most basic to the most fancy hotels I've stayed at all offer utterly shite hairdryers to accompany the dully lit mirrors and shampoo/conditioner combo.

Yet they'll put a f@cking trouser press in the wardrobe.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 14-May-17 18:25:14

Skyllo I've got the Babyliss one too, and it does me for holiday and weekends away.

I'm not overly bothered by the settings etc as I generally just blast for a couple of minutes and go but agreed if I wanted something to style better with, this would be good, and could be an option re me buying my next travel hairdryer.

WipsGlitter Sun 14-May-17 19:00:37

The ones where you have to hold the button the whole time are the work of the devil.

stevie69 Sun 14-May-17 19:09:46

I got round it by shaving my head. Probably not a solution for most, to be honest. My family hate it, most men hate it but ..... the smart, educated 30 something men seem to LOVE it. Result. It's amazingly liberating smile

Ginmakesitallok Sun 14-May-17 19:15:54

I was in a fabulous hotel in belfast earlier in the year - it had a PARLUX hairdryer!!

travailtotravel Sun 14-May-17 19:56:35

I bought a travel hairdryer from boots a while ago - so long ago I think it wasn't much more than a tenner or similar. I am amazed at how good it is for the price and it folds up super small (in winter it gets packed inside a shoe or my boots, in summer, just gets slung in). I've had a fair amount of use out of it too.

wizzywig Sun 14-May-17 22:35:18

Get yourself a portable mirror with built in lights and a stand. They are a godsend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now