Talk

Advanced search

What happens if you don't squeeze spots?

(26 Posts)
Logoplanter Sat 13-May-17 08:14:48

Sorry for the disgusting topic!

I've got some hormonal spots on my chin at the moment which I've made a right mess of by squeezing them blush Problem is as soon as they come to a head I have to squeeze them. I can't stop myself! In my mind a spot filled with white pus is far worse than the red horrible marks I get left with by squeezing them. Problem is I'm looking at my face and the two spots I had which I've now squeezed are literally the only thing you see when you look at me. I've made them horrendous.

So, would I be better off trying to leave them in future? What actually happens if a spot comes to a head and you don't squeeze it?!? I'm almost 40 and I don't know the answer to this as I've never been able to not squeeze a spot.

Methenyouplus4 Sat 13-May-17 08:17:15

Snap. Shamelessly following. I imagine the swelling will just go down and they'll eventually go away, but like you, I squeeze before then (and promise I won't next time).

hiccupgirl Sat 13-May-17 08:24:33

I get hormonal spots too. If I leave the big ones, they slowly go down over 2 weeks and then tend to come back up again 2 weeks later as the crap is still there.

As much as popping them makes a mess, they heal up much more quickly and don't reappear. I've not had problems with any scaring. I sterilise a needle and stick it in the head if it doesn't come up to the surface. Get the stuff out and put witch hazel gel on them. They usually look much getter within a day or 2 and are gone within a week.

Gimboid Sat 13-May-17 08:26:51

I left a particularly bad spot on my cheek as I had heard you shouldn't squeeze spots. It stayed for weeks now have a pitted scar there which I hate. I carefully 'lanced' (sorry, grim) then next one and didn't get a scar.

Branleuse Sat 13-May-17 08:38:35

i always squeeze spots as otherwise they dont heal on me

TheLuckyMrsPine Sat 13-May-17 08:38:45

Since turning 36 for some reason my skin has been awful with hormonal spots. My GP told me contrary to belief it is better to squeeze than leave as long as done cleanly and properly

taybert Sat 13-May-17 08:45:13

If there's a head it's better to do the sterile needle thing than squeeze. Squeezing is obviously using pressure to expel the pus- the pressure needed to break through the skin is quite high so you risk damaging the surrounding tissues. You can also send the gunk into the tissues, not just up and out (which is where it needs to go). So, best thing with a white headed spot is prick the top to release the pus and make that way the path of least resistance. Then gently massage out the remaining pus. It shouldn't make such a mess that way. Those deep horrible ones with no head and multiple pockets of pus are a different matter.....

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Sat 13-May-17 08:45:42

I squeeze them. If you put Savlon on the squeezed spots religiously morning and night for a week or so, the scar disappears quickly.

HeyRoly Sat 13-May-17 08:47:41

DH had a tendency to walk around with massive yellowhead spots and not squeeze them. The pus just stays there. So, I'm with you in thinking that visible pus is worse than anything else.

Fragglez Sat 13-May-17 08:50:10

The very best thing ever for spots is to put antibacterial hand gel on them once they are 'open'. It stings like hell but they clear up fast. Just keep applying!

The best stuff is the alcohol based foam you get in hospitals...

picklemepopcorn Sat 13-May-17 09:01:31

DH has terrible scarring on his back because he didn't drain spots there, none on his face because he drained them. I realised what was happening soon after we met, and started draining his back one. Those which were left dried up into a thick blackhead type lump, then healed over, leaving a lumpy scar. If you knock off the top by scratching, but leave the pus inside, it's even worse.

Get into good, gentle draining habits. Don't rush to do it before the head forms...

Mumsnut Sat 13-May-17 09:41:59

Press straight down on either side when you squeeze. Don't press the fingers inwards at all.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sat 13-May-17 10:35:11

I went on roaccutane and i miss squeezing spots!
I could never not squeeze them. I too preferred the red mark than a big pulsating whitehead that everyone around you can't stop staring at and wanting to hold you down and squeeze for you!
The best one I ever had was on the top of my lip on one of the tips on my cupid's bow. It was honestly like a bullet out a gun. It made a noise and hit the mirror twice in a row. The swelling and pain immediately subsided. <happy>

retainertrainer Sat 13-May-17 10:40:42

I'm the same,I always squeeze spots once they come to a head. I had one on the side of my nose a few weeks ago,I could conceal it well because of the position of it so I thought I'd see what happens if I don't squeeze it. It stopped feeling sore after a couple of days but the pus just stayed there. After 2 weeks it came back to life,filled with more pus and because inflammed again so I squeezed it until the little white stone came out.

That's the key to squeezing spots,if you don't get the tiny hard stone out at the end then they come back.

Ilovespringandchocolate Sat 13-May-17 13:00:51

Well I am 30 and have never squeezed a spot in my life (true story) the thought of squeezing a spot makes me want to vom.

I have very clear, bright, dewy skin with no blemishes/ scars that has never needed foundation, just a bit of under eye concealor. I get a lot of complements on my skin (not trying to boast, just trying to illustrate the point that not squeezing doesn't necessarily mean scars) my friends that have squeezed their spots however, have a lot of scarring/ blemishes.

Maybe it helps that I acid tone every day? Dunno

HeyRoly Sat 13-May-17 13:10:10

Wel it's hardly surprising that you have lovely skin if you've never suffered from acne, is it?

Ilovespringandchocolate Sat 13-May-17 13:21:19

Where did I say I've never suffered from acne?

I did actually, as a teenager and into my early 20s whilst at uni. The Dr prescribed me Zinerrt which kept it at bay somewhat and then antibiotics when it started to not work.

I have now used Panoxyl 10 on my face every night for the past 8 years in order to keep the spots away.

picklemepopcorn Sat 13-May-17 16:40:01

I get a spot once in a blue moon, which means I find lots of daily product feels like overkill.

DH hadn't been to the docs for his acne until I came on the scene. So if you have big pus filled spots they need draining. If you don't, fab. No need to worry.

FATEdestiny Sat 13-May-17 16:53:27

Panoxyl 10 is not available in the UK.

EatsLeavesAndShit Sat 13-May-17 16:58:19

Mine come to a head then the head hardens and can be picked off. They don't regrow in the same place if you do this. I never squeeze spots, I don't think it's healthy for your skin.

CountFosco Sat 13-May-17 17:07:06

DH didn't squeeze spots when he was younger. One burst all over a friend of his. True story!!!! Never happened since I met him, I squeeze them for him grin.

Logoplanter Sun 14-May-17 20:33:50

Thanks for the responses. So, general consensus is I should pop them (smile) but do it by lancing them not squeezing them.

The two I had are looking better than they were and I'm hoping by tomorrow they'll be easier to cover up. This will hopefully be helped by the fact I bought some green colour corrector and a new concealer yesterday wink

picklemepopcorn Mon 15-May-17 06:10:55

Id say, be a bit gentler! Break the skin, press around them, keep them clean.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 15-May-17 08:54:31

Smaller spots I just leave them. Had one on jawline area the other day left it and it's seemed to have gone.

The other day I felt a really painful but small spot on nose (tip) but applied lavender oil to heal and used face scrub on it. Appears to have calmed it down.

Larger ones I do squeeze but will try to lance next one.

GigiBuffon Mon 15-May-17 11:39:10

Hydrocolloid plaster over the top sucks all the pus out overnight ([break the skin first with a sterilized pin/needle).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now