Talk

Advanced search

How do I decide about a tattoo?

(15 Posts)
LaserShark Fri 12-May-17 20:55:45

I had a thread earlier today asking about camouflage make up to cover scars on my upper arm. They are very pale and not very noticeable but they bother me and I am upset about the way I got them so they are a reminder and I hate them.

I looked up medical camouflage tattoos but started wondering about getting a design instead. I've seen some beautiful floral tattoos online and am considering getting one done.

But...I have no idea where to go, what to check, how to decide on a design - and crucially, how much would it cost?? I'd need it to go from the top of my arm to the elbow. Can you tattoo over scar tissue?

Also, I have flabby bingo wings, even when I lose weight, so would tattooing my arms just look awful? Should I just carry on hiding in sleeves forever?

I'd have to hide it for work, but have to hide the scars anyway. I'm the master of shrugs and cardigans!

MrsLettuce Fri 12-May-17 21:17:20

I've had tattoos to cover scarring and it's worked very, very well indeed. I'll send you a PM for photos 'cause they're far too outing to post.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 12-May-17 21:31:18

I am definitely no expert (one small tattoo, and not to cover scars) but I asked for recommendations from people whose tattoos I liked, then followed the artists on Instagram to get a feel for their work. I went for a consultation where I was quoted a price, thought about it for a couple of weeks, then booked in. Before my tattoo was inked a sort of transfer of it was put on so I could see exactly how it was going to look. In terms of cost the guy who did mine charges £80 per hour, but I'd have paid double that to know I was going to someone I trusted to do a great job.

LaserShark Fri 12-May-17 21:46:46

Thanks! MrsL I can't click the links on my phone but will look on my laptop later! Is it very painful?

MrsLettuce Fri 12-May-17 21:59:32

Yes, the PM function is a bit stoneage!

You need to find someone good with experience of tattooing over scarring, as Judy says, instagram is the place to be. If you can give a clue as to which cities you can reach people will probably be able to make a few suggestions of artists to get you started.

Price wise, again, what Judy says. £80 per hour average/minimum (depending on location) that you'd expect to pay for someone with skill and experience.

It does hurt but it's just the skin, not some awful, deep pain IYSWIM. It's manageable and arms are an easy area. Some other areas can be really rather intense.

Jibba Fri 12-May-17 22:10:18

Don't carry on hiding! I also got a tattoo to cover the scars on my arm, I didn't really want a tattoo on my arm but it was so liberating to not have to hide the scars anymore. Instead of painful memories I now have a beautiful tattoo, one of the best decisions I've ever made! To find a tattooist, google recommended tattoo parlours/ artists in your area and then have a look at their website to see the artists previous work. I knew that I wanted something floral so took pictures of the kind of Thing I wanted to my consultation and the tattooist then drew something based on that that would worked with / covered the scaring. I still have to hide the tat for work but it's great being able to wear what I want when I'm not in work!

LaserShark Fri 12-May-17 22:14:31

I can easily get to Leeds, Manchester or surrounding areas.

Thanks, Jibba, that's exactly what I'm hoping for- a beautiful replacement for bad memories!

MrsLettuce Fri 12-May-17 22:23:18

yy to replacing memories and associations, having my scars covered has done me a lot more good than I'd expected. Bizarre really.

That part of the world is a good place to be for tattooing, will have a rummage on my Instagram list.

To find a tattooist, google recommended tattoo parlours/ artists in your area and then have a look at their website to see the artists previous work. That's fine if you have a good feel for what proper, good quality work looks like. Most people don't TBH. It's not as easy as it sounds

An awful lot of the tattoos about IRL and on pinterest are, at best, sub-standard if not down right bad. We're more used to seeing bad work than good and this isn't something you want end up having done by the best of a bad bunch, IYSWIM. The technical ability of the artist is really importent because scarred skin has technical challenges.

LaserShark Fri 12-May-17 23:05:26

I'd like recommendations because I have absolutely no idea what to be looking out for! I also think I will look like an idiot walking into a tattoo parlour as I come across as very prim and I will be very scared!

MrsLettuce Fri 12-May-17 23:34:11

So, instagram. It's always worth having a good long scroll though someones page 'cause the subject matter of the work is usually very varied. There will be a lot of tattoos of skulls, snakes, daggers and other things that wont appeal, they're worth paying attention to though because they are perfect points of reference for comparing different artists skills and styles. Roses are a great point of comparison too.

Ruth Rollin *@ruthredtattoo* does some stunning work, don't know if her style would appeal. She's in Leeds.
Rain City Tattoo Collective is an excellent shop, you couldn't go wrong with anyone working or guesting there. Is in Salford.

Is hard to know what to suggest without an idea of the sort of style you might like really.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Fri 12-May-17 23:52:29

Once you've decided on your design, stick it on your bathroom mirror (or somewhere else that you look at every day) and live with it for at least six months.

MrsLettuce Sat 13-May-17 00:54:19

Oh, I forgot to link the shop where Ruth works it's Red Tattoo. Their other artists are worth a look too. Quite a wide range of styles with them and the Rain City people so a good start.

TBH I disagree totally with Angelica says. I'd say:
-Decide what you want in your tattoo. Say, roses and forget-me-nots with maybe a ribbon, for example.
-Find a good artist and choose a number of pieces of their work that you particularly like. Any drawings they've posted is also good, if you like any.
-Find photos of non-tattooed examples of the elements you want. So, you might like tea roses best, or indeed those lovely fluffy old roses. Single roses or more of a rambler type sprig.
(there is your reference material. You can stick it all to something if you like, that's no bad plan but theres no real need either)
-Mull but don't fixate on one particular composition or the exact positioning.*
- Book a consultation and see if there's a click. Trust your artist and take their advice.
- You'd usually see the drawing for the tattoo on the day of the tattooing appointment. That is normal. There is time to adjust things and it's fine to. Trust is important though.
-If it doesn't feel right, don't go through with the tattoo. Pay the drawing fee and go, there are other artists.

*' 'cause there are technical reasons' why some things some placements / designs work and age a lot better than others. THBH size/detail ratio has a lot lot do with it.

WanderingNotLost Sat 13-May-17 03:32:16

Scar tissue can be tricky but far from impossible.

If you like floral designs, check out rit kit tattoos on instagram. She starts her designs with actual flowers, and they're beautiful. She's based somewhere in Europe but often visits other countries and is coming to the UK this summer.

shitgibbon Sat 13-May-17 04:45:47

My friend got a white tattoo to cover scars on her forearm. It's beautiful, looks like lace.

LaserShark Sat 13-May-17 09:29:14

MrsL, I looked up your recommendations and I love Lucy's work at Red Tattoo. I've emailed her but she's booked up well in advance so that would give me a lot of thinking time anyway! I was hoping, if I decided to go ahead, to have it done in time for this summer but I would rather wait obviously for someone really good than rush into it - I've spent every summer for twenty years in sleeves so I can do another one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now