Talk

Advanced search

Tropical print dress - what do I wear with it?

(11 Posts)
Seeeeriously Thu 11-May-17 22:00:36

I've bought this for an outdoorsy wedding abroad in July.

http://www.warehouse.co.uk/gb/clothing/dresses/tropical-garden-tie-back-dress/028679.html?dwvar_028679_color=04&position=111&cgid=dresses#page=10&start=111&categoryID=dresses

I am planning on wearing tan sandals with a chunky heel.

I need some sort of jacket for the evening - I think a cardie would be too casual. Am
I right? What sort of jacket?

I could also do with a hangbag / earrings / thing for my hair that isn't bits of plastic feather. (mid length messy wavy bob). Ideas? Really struggling!

(Second question is what should DH wear. He doesn't want to wear a suit).

Seeeeriously Thu 11-May-17 22:02:05

Here's the dress in case of clicky link fail:

BifsWif Thu 11-May-17 22:09:18

A cropped jacket in cream would work, or you could pick out one of the colours from the dress if you're feeling brave!

Again with the bag, a large clutch in a similar shade to your shoes. I love the dress!

BifsWif Thu 11-May-17 22:11:28

Like this...

MrsLettuce Thu 11-May-17 22:32:24

Ooh, I like that.

Is the tie up bit at the back actually a tie bit, or sewn? If it does tie then it'd give an awkward bump in the back of a jacket, I fear. Same with a cardy. One of those short shrug things would be odd with the cut of the back too. So, TBH, I think you pretty much have to go with a wrap.

I think I'd go with a cream bag and one of the colours from the dress for a cover up.

Are you looking for some sort of actual hat or more a hair clip/comb type hair decoration?

BifsWif Thu 11-May-17 22:34:19

Didn't notice the back!

I agree, a wrap would be better.

bojorojo Thu 11-May-17 23:50:01

Go for a straw hat. It would work well with the tropical print. A floppy one or even a panama. Tan shoes and a cream bag are fine together. I think a wrap is better than a jacket. I have seen a suede biker jacket go well with this sort of dress. You can't really make this print look like an ultra smart formal dress so don't try. I really like it and Warehouse have upped their offerings recently.

Seeeeriously Fri 12-May-17 06:51:22

Ah thanks everyone. I'm really pleased with it - the back is great, and the tie might be small enough for a cream cropped jacket to work. It's also really well positioned so I can wear a proper bra.

I did order five Warehouse dresses and to r honest, some of them were just weird. A yellow one that was really see-through. A very smart chunky lace one with a v neck that was sort of 'sewn' up at the top so it just gaped. Odd.

Seeeeriously Fri 12-May-17 15:48:22

Found this cropped jacket, which might work - see how the bump from the tie works:

m.missselfridge.com/en/msuk/product/petite-ivory-crop-occasion-jacket-6181865?geoip=noredirect&cmpid=ppc_pla_UK_ip&utm_medium=cpc&istCompanyId=ef628c1f-3888-4f51-9f35-cff6febf8eb3&istItemId=xiqqxtxarx&istBid=tztx&gclid=CJ6HlcDM6tMCFSIM0wodiNgNNw&gclsrc=aw.ds

BifsWif Fri 12-May-17 21:25:26

I like that!

MrsLettuce Fri 12-May-17 21:49:55

Yes, that's nice. Thing is it matching the exact cream of the dress isn't very likely at all. Screens don't show colour accurately, but it looks (on my screen) to be a pale, cool cream, while the dress seems to have a deeper, warm cream. When there's a marked difference in texture then a slight miss-match isn't jarring but I think it woul dbe with this.

SOmething that works with the tones of the dress but doesn't necessarily exactly match would be easier, this would work really well. Maybe a biscuity or apricotty 'nude', [[ this]] is grat but maybe not really weddingy. this would work well but is maybe over budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now