Talk

Advanced search

Sunburnt face with factor 50!

(14 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 11-May-17 19:37:54

Argh - today I applied my non spf face cream first (as it's very hydrating). Then my Boots spf50 face sun cream. Let that dry. Then done my usual make up (face serum, liquid foundation that contains SPF15, powder over the top to set.

I've just looked in the mirror and my face looks like a beetroot with Lilly white circles round my eye area (sunglasses must have shaded that area)

Now obviously I didn't reapply my face suncream through the day as I had makeup on so I didn't want to remove it all and reapply if that makes sense.

So does anyone have any suggestions/ product recommendations on how to stop this happening again?

I should mention I can't use Aloe Vera based products as they don't agree with my skin.

Thanks

coldflange Thu 11-May-17 20:39:33

Was it old sunscreen? - it can lose its power once over a certain age.

Did you apply enough? Was it one of the one a day suncreams which need to be applied directly on to the skin?

I have had a Boots spf30 tinted facial suncream on today and my face is fine. I was out in the sun for a couple of hours walking arou

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 11-May-17 20:55:00

I bought it last year (was on offer) but only opened it last month. I think I applied enough. I do find it a little greasy so didn't pile it on but I put enough on to leave me with that shiney glow all over.
I've used the boots face SPF 30 in the past with no issues so wondering if it's this particular formula or a dodgy bottle. Maybe I would be better with the spf 30 face cream again - I never burnt with that.

Thinking about it I did have a similar issue with a bottle of P20 stuff a few year back. I got the SPF50 stuff for my chest, shoulders and back as they burn easily, and stuck to the original spf 20 everywhere else. I burnt to a crisp on the 50 areas but all the 20 areas where perfect.

Maybe spf 50 stuff breaks down faster in the bottle than the lower factors. Maybe my skin doesn't work well with them. Not sure.

coldflange Thu 11-May-17 21:04:57

Sounds like it may have been a bad batch then if you applied correctly etc.

I don't know what else it can have been.

Hope you find one that works for you.

margaritasbythesea Fri 12-May-17 06:17:09

I use a spf 50 and then top it up with a spray suncream over make up. Loreal do one which i find fine.

KoalaDownUnder Fri 12-May-17 06:29:17

Some tips:

Use at least 1/2 teaspoon for your face (measure it to see how much that is - it's actually quite a lot)

Shake the bottle

Pat on, don't rub (as rubbing can break down the active ingredient)

Don't rub whatever you're putting over the top too hard, either (same reason)

Wear a hat wink

adagio Fri 12-May-17 06:40:26

I got a spray (aerosol) that you use on top of makeup - bioderm - I use that to top up. In the morning I use spf30 eucerin day cream, liquid foundation so f15 on top, then powder.

The spray stuff is a bit shiny/sticky but does look ok with makeup.

I use a Vichy face sun cream on my décolleté, and for my face (on top of the eucerin) if I will be properly outdoors all day.

I have tried la Roche posey spf50 tinted but I just can't make it work with make up for normal work days - fine for hot holidays on its own or with s touch of bronzer, but not for daily use.

For me, factor 30 all year round seems a workable compromise as the texture is much easier to work with. I've actually started using f30 on the kids this year and so far it seems to be working better than all the various brands of f50 I have tried, maybe the high factor works differently or something?

Are you using 50 for any particular reason?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 12-May-17 06:45:46

It's the lack of reapplication. It should be reapplied every two hours. If you're putting on a full face of make up over the top, will that not rub it off as well?

KoalaDownUnder Fri 12-May-17 06:52:26

Were you out in the sun much, OP?

I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL 50+ with one morning application, foundation over the top. It's fine with no reapplication if I'm inside most of the day - eg in the office, out at midday to grab lunch, or walking in and out of shops. And that's in the Australian summer!

One application is nowhere near enough if you're outside most of the day, or sweating and wiping your face.

Cinnabunbun Fri 12-May-17 07:11:47

I think it might be to do with the layering. Putting serum on top may have rubbed it off or deactivated it. Or maybe the products reacted with each other?

ThanksForAllTheFish Fri 12-May-17 08:39:16

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have a look at the spray on top stuff.

I must might just go back to the spf 30 as I never had this issue when I used it. I just switched up to 50 as I am very fair skinned and never tan (natural red head). My face has calmed down overnight and looks pretty normal today, but generally if I do get sunburn it's gone the following day anyway.

I was only outside for about 2 hours yesterday with breaks of being indoors - maybe 30 mins outside / 30 mins inside.

I think I will leave the foundation off today and see if the face cream on its own works ok and then go from there.

adagio Fri 12-May-17 10:51:07

I lied about the make it's this one

CantChoose Fri 12-May-17 11:12:17

I had this and kept buying new bottles of the stuff. Turned out I was actually allergic to one of the ingredients and it was an allergic rash not sunburn. I am a gp and did not work this out for myself blush
Try a different brand.

littlefurrysheep Fri 12-May-17 11:16:50

is it a chemical or physical block? chemical needs to go on clean skin i.e before moisturiser.

or try a higher quality. i like cane and austin spf 50 - it's very light. i don't usually manage (bother) to reapply (and i sail) and the worst i've had was slightly pink nose tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now