Talk

Advanced search

style ladies please help. need to look gorgeous at best friends wedding

(25 Posts)
thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 20:36:08

Best friend is getting married in july, it will be a small wedding, not too formal or fancy.
An old flame of mine will be there and I want to make an impression by looking as good as I possibly can which to me means feeling comfortable also.
I'm 30 5'1 size 8 mostly but with boobs and a little bit of a tummy, other area that bothers me is the bit between armpit and boob so would rather cover them up.
My usual go to for a party would be playsuit as I like my legs or lace mini dress.
I have nothing and no idea what to wear for a wedding.
I'm thinking maybe jumpsuit but with me being short not sure that would work, also formal maxi dresses but factoring in costs of alterations as my budget is not huge 60-70 as a maximum.
I keep coming back to shorter styles which suit me but don't feel special enough for this important event.

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 20:43:36

What sort of colours do you like? Pattern?

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 20:58:46

I like pinks greens blues, nothing too dark as I want to look summery but not too light next to the bride. Seem to be drawn to bigger floral patterns although dress I've chosen got the hen do is dark blue with pinky small florals.
A few things I already own are stripes but I'm aware of not wanting to look like an optical illusion on the photos.
Maybe over thinking it all under the pressure

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:06:46

Looking at this but don't think there would be room in the bust for my 30dds

OlennasWimple Wed 10-May-17 21:08:40

That's a pretty jumpsuit, OP, worth ordering and trying it?

I think you're right to look at cropped length, given your height

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 21:10:50

Ooh, how about this? Wrong length? The shoes they've styled it with are abominable. Baby pink heels would make it lovely for a wedding.

OlennasWimple Wed 10-May-17 21:12:35

This dress is pretty and on budget

Bold green also on budget

Wrap dress might be good for your body shape?

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 21:12:54

Jumpsiuit is nice. Might well be lucky with the fit but officially a 35 bust measurement is a size 10 on their size charts.

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 21:14:58

too much?

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 21:16:15

too plain? Maybe bra issues

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:18:09

I like this style, more formal and bridesmaidy but they don't have my size and navy feels a bit everyday to me.
Might just order a few and see.
I'm glad that jumpsuit is ok as I'm clueless and some I think look too formal or work wear like and others too beachy and I want to get it right

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 21:20:29

I'd avoid bridesmaidy like the plague, TBH. Maxi could be lovely though.

this is short and probably off

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:23:11

Thanks all, reassured that I'm on the right track, I love the print on the pink yellow stripe but not keen on the top, don't want to be yanking up all day. The blue lace is very similar to a new look one I have in my basket, but nicer unfortunately the chichi one is out of stock I think that would look good on me

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:25:37

That mint green is beautiful, is mini ok for a wedding? It's not massively formal anyway and I do have good legs

PotPlantAddict Wed 10-May-17 21:29:18

This site has some lovely dresses on a budget.

I think their playsuits are a little short for a wedding but as your petit they may be ok for you.

This one is very nice but maybe not summery enough?
www.dancingleopard.co.uk/products/zion-jumpsuit-in-forest-green

ScarlettDarling Wed 10-May-17 21:32:29

This wrap dress from dancing leopard is a stunning blue and is a bit different to the usual wedding guest dress.

However, as you're so petite, I think a long dress might swamp you a bit. I think you're right that shorter styles would probably suit you better. Something like this glammed up with strappy gold sandals and something gorgeous in your hair would be lovely.

ScarlettDarling Wed 10-May-17 21:33:30

Potplant cross posts!!!! Can't believe we've both recommended the same site! Their stuff is gorgeous isn't it?

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:35:04

Thanks will have a good look around that site I've seen some of their lovely dresses pop up on Facebook. This is similar to the jumpsuit but too much like day wear?
Sorry I can't do links

thistlewine Wed 10-May-17 21:38:09

The blue is gorgeous and would suit me colour wise I like the splits for abit of leg. I'm prepared to pay to have anything long taken up if the price allows it

Flyinggeese Wed 10-May-17 21:49:04

Hi OP how about something like this? www.oasis-stores.com/gb/clothing/dresses/lace-skater/061296.html?dwvar_061296_color=18&position=18&cgid=dresses#page=2&start=18&categoryID=dresses

Flyinggeese Wed 10-May-17 21:52:39

This could fit the brief too, though would need soms thinking about re what colour jacket and shoes. www.oasis-stores.com/gb/clothing/dresses/lace-cold-shoulder-dress/061477.html?dwvar_061477_color=46&position=19&cgid=dresses#page=2&start=19&categoryID=dresses

bojorojo Wed 10-May-17 21:53:25

I am not a fan of long at daytime weddings. It looks like the girls who try too hard at the races and it isn't chic. For this a good jumpsuit is great. A good fluid fabric and you can jazz it up with shoes and bag and earrings etc. I know your budget is limited but could you stretch to looking at Reiss? I think their clothes are stylish and well made. Pale pinks are very in this year so I would look for something with pink accents you can accessorise. A pale pink dress would be lovely. The Telegraph had a great selection of dresses a week ago. Look at their web site for inspiration. Florals are good too.

OlennasWimple Wed 10-May-17 22:09:07

Step away from the bridesmaid-esque dresses!

I would also suggest that long might not be the most flattering on your, given your height

Navy is a bit blah, when you orginally said you wanted something light for a summer wedding.

No no no to black!

PotPlantAddict Wed 10-May-17 22:23:12

ScarlettDarling great taste grin

I love some of there more summery dresses but have no hols lined up to wear them, sigh!

MrsLettuce Wed 10-May-17 22:38:40

One last one. I think you might really like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now